Aurantiaco
Topic Author

Good cities for a start up airline in 2019

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Ok, so let's say I start up a hypothetical airline, and I need to find cities for its main hubs. For example, I might choose secondary airports to larger cities, like Ontario International in contrast to LAX. I need a second opinion on this.

SAAFNAV

Re: Good cities for a start up airline in 2019

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Hmmm, how about Salt Lake City and Dar es Salaam, and Vladivostok and Easter Island.
Purely hypothetical of course.
But for best results use a dart and a map and throw blindfolded.

As long as you have a re-engined B757 flying fish, you'd be fine.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

Hship

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:13 pm

I'd go for PRY -> UTT, using the AF's A380s that will be leaving the fleet soon. You'll want to put these aircraft through the wash bay first, mind you.

Just my two cents.

PatrickZ80

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Ontario seems like a good choice. Large catchment area and little competition. Sure there are more airports like that.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:56 pm

KONT is a little too much in a corner of the US for a hub, real or not. KMCI, KSTL, KICT, KDSM, KCMH, KOMA all more central and uncrowded. True, not much O&D, but not nothing either. KSMF could be good for west coast, north-south hub as could KRDU or KGSO on the east coast.

GF

Aurantiaco
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:39 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
KONT is a little too much in a corner of the US for a hub, real or not.

So you’re telling me that an airport in the area of the second most populated city in the US is just a corner of the US?

cofannyc

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:21 am

Aurantiaco wrote:
    GalaxyFlyer wrote:

So you’re telling me that an airport in the area of the second most populated city in the US is just a corner of the US?

He's means it's quite literally in a corner. So it makes a bad domestic connecting hub because it adds unnecessary distance and time for a lot of connecting itineraries compared to more centrally located hubs.

Alias1024

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm

ExpressJet used ONT as their largest station for their failed branded operation. They had the unfortunate dual headwinds of spiking fuel prices while flying inefficient 50-seat regional jets, and the Inland Empire being one of the hardest hit areas during the housing market collapse. It's difficult to know if ONT would have worked without the housing collapse or if it just isn't viable. There are a lot of people living in the IE, but the income demographics really aren't too good and the competition from airports like LAX, SNA, SAN, even PSP depressed demand further.

The secondary airport idea has been used successfully in the US in the past by airlines like Southwest and Western Pacific in the 1990s. WestPac in particular had a nice niche at Colorado Springs, then they made the jump to Denver and competed head to head with United and Frontier, which led to their demise. Southwest has moved into more primary airports as they chase higher revenues to cover their increased costs as a more mature airline.
      It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Gulfstream500

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:22 pm

For an east coast north-south operation, I’d go for RIC (one of the most underserved places by ULCCs) or one of the Wilmingtons (DE and NC, either a monopoly or a high fare place). East to west is simply a no-go. For a west coast, I’d actually go for YVR (given that it’s basically an air canada operation).
      Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

PatrickZ80

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:39 pm

cofannyc wrote:
      Aurantiaco wrote:
      GalaxyFlyer wrote:

He's means it's quite literally in a corner. So it makes a bad domestic connecting hub because it adds unnecessary distance and time for a lot of connecting itineraries compared to more centrally located hubs.

However it would depend on the type of airline and the type of passenger you're trying to attract. If you're a traditional hub carrier, using the hub for connecting passengers, then a more central location would be better. However if you're chasing O/D passengers and don't focus on connections, Ontario is great for that. Same would go for the other secondary airports in the greater Los Angeles area, however Ontario has the benefit of being an international airport. The only one besides LAX in the Los Angeles area, all other Los Angeles airports are domestic only. This would enable you to start flights to Mexico for example.

stl07

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
        cofannyc wrote:
        Aurantiaco wrote:

However it would depend on the type of airline and the type of passenger you're trying to attract. If you're a traditional hub carrier, using the hub for connecting passengers, then a more central location would be better. However if you're chasing O/D passengers and don't focus on connections, Ontario is great for that. Same would go for the other secondary airports in the greater Los Angeles area, however Ontario has the benefit of being an international airport. The only one besides LAX in the Los Angeles area, all other Los Angeles airports are domestic only. This would enable you to start flights to Mexico for example.

San bernidino is also an international airport fyi, though I would not start there
          Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

AAlaxfan

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:43 pm

I would use KMKE as my hub and start with a small, business oriented schedule to under-served or unserved destinations using small regional jets. Once I get that going, I would add popular vacation destinations, but use secondary airports. ( I got this strange feeling while typing this up that it sounds familiar :scratchchin: )
          Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

Gulfstream500

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:23 am

AAlaxfan wrote:
          I would use KMKE as my hub and start with a small, business oriented schedule to under-served or unserved destinations using small regional jets. Once I get that going, I would add popular vacation destinations, but use secondary airports. ( I got this strange feeling while typing this up that it sounds familiar :scratchchin: )

OneJet? Midwest 2.0?
          Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...