x1234
Topic Author

Why are there SO MANY flights between Moscow and China!?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:09 pm

I recently was planning flights through Moscow and was wondering why there was SO MANY flights from Moscow to China. Almost 4x daily SVO-PVG and SVO-PEK (+3x weekly). I assume the Aeroflot flights are serving not only O&D but transit to Europe. But why does China Eastern feel the need to fly 11x weekly PVG-SVO and 5x weekly PVG-LED and 3x weekly SVO-XIY-PVG and 2x weekly LED-XIY-PVG!? I think for MU daily is enough. For Chinese and Russian airlines (which are state owned no doubt or higher % share), making a profit on majority of flights don't matter and its more of a vanity. Am i correct!?

terefere

Re: Why are there SO MANY flights between Moscow and China!?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 pm

We're talking about the 1st and 9th most populous countries in the world which happen to border each other, have a lot of tourism both ways, extensive business ties and on top of that, Moscow, Shanghai and Beijing are huge cities. I'm also sure Chinese carriers have relatively unrestricted access to Siberian overflight rights. Why is this surprising?
Last edited by terefere on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cedarjet

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 pm

Vanity would be x4 weekly; multiple daily is because the market exists. Don’t know Shanghai but Beijing has a Russian quarter. I would think demand is strong.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

sw733

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 pm

On population alone, Moscow Metro Area + Shanghai Metro Area = something like 47,000,000 people. That's the same as NYC metro area + London Metro Area + Paris Metro Area. And think about how many flights there are between those three cities. Obviously, demand will be different due to economic and business conditions, but just based on sheer numbers alone, it's not crazy to see that there's likely to be some pretty decent demand.

OA940

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:29 pm

You think daily would be enough, but the airline's management who get paid to determine this sort of stuff don't share that opinion. People have already explained it, but to generalize it, an airline would rarely fly a route it doesn't make money on. They fly so much because the demand is there
A350/CSeries = bae

acjbbj

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:45 pm

terefere wrote:
We're talking about the 1st and 9th most populous countries in the world which happen to border each other, have a lot of tourism both ways, extensive business ties and on top of that, Moscow, Shanghai and Beijing are huge cities. I'm also sure Chinese carriers have relatively unrestricted access to Siberian overflight rights. Why is this surprising?

Maybe because OP didn't know that they have a lot of tourism both ways, extensive business ties, and unrestricted access by Chinese people to Siberian flights. No one knows everything.
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.

terefere

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 pm

acjbbj wrote:
terefere wrote:

Maybe because OP didn't know that they have a lot of tourism both ways, extensive business ties, and unrestricted access by Chinese people to Siberian flights. No one knows everything.

But OP seems to know enough to insinuate that "making a profit on majority of flights don't matter and its more of a vanity" even though it looks like the reality is much simpler.

acjbbj

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:39 am

terefere wrote:
acjbbj wrote:
terefere wrote:

But OP seems to know enough to insinuate that "making a profit on majority of flights don't matter and its more of a vanity" even though it looks like the reality is much simpler.

Interesting
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.