atomicstar
Topic Author

ANA’s Boeing 777 seat configuration

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:22 pm

Recently, I was on a ANA flight on a Boeing 777-300ER. I noticed that they chose a 2-4-3 configuration instead of 3-3-3 or 3-4-3. I know that the 77W can do 10 abreast, but this configuration is 9 abreast instead. I could see that the aisles are significantly wider. However, ANA also has some of their 77Ws with the 3-4-3 configuration.

What are the advantages of this? I also noticed that because the overhead bins were designed for the 3-4-3 configuration, it is more difficult to access the overhead bins on the center left bins. And whatever the reason may be, why did ANA choose this configuration on some of their 77Ws in favor of having more seats?

By doing a google search, I don’t see any other airline that uses this seat configuration (or maybe there actually is).

Ishrion

Re: ANA’s Boeing 777 seat configuration

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Japan Airlines does a 3-4-2 on 777-200ERs

avgeekjohn

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:43 pm

I'll be honest in that I don't know much about ANA (or Japan Airlines, for that matter), but my best guess would be weight. Removing a whole chunk of seats might give the carriers more wiggle room to fly longer routes by giving more "weight space" for fuel, etc and/or heavier cargo on shorter routes.
Holding short of life's runway

GE90man

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Say you're traveling with just you and your spouse. Instead of other widebodies which are often 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 in economy, forcing you to crawl over someone you don't know, on a seat layout of 2-4-3, you can choose a seat in the 2 section, meaning you don't need to crawl over anyone unknown. The same goes for a family of 3 traveling or a family of 4. Even traveling alone, selecting a seat in the 2 section means you only need to crawl over one unknown person if you sit in the window seat. In essence this layout gives the passengers more choice and comfort, especially for passengers traveling with groups of people. Personally, I think this layout is a great idea, and something that I really enjoyed when I flew Delta's A220, which had a 2-3 layout.

Scarebus34

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:34 pm

ANA has multiple configurations on their 77W. They do indeed also have the dreaded 3-4-3 configuration.

DL_Mech

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:36 pm

The 747-100 was the first to have this configuration. Many airplanes kept their offset galleys as a result.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon301095/23869403022

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

flyer1225

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:37 pm

GE90man wrote:
Say you're traveling with just you and your spouse. Instead of other widebodies which are often 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 in economy, forcing you to crawl over someone you don't know, on a seat layout of 2-4-3, you can choose a seat in the 2 section, meaning you don't need to crawl over anyone unknown. The same goes for a family of 3 traveling or a family of 4. Even traveling alone, selecting a seat in the 2 section means you only need to crawl over one unknown person if you sit in the window seat. In essence this layout gives the passengers more choice and comfort, especially for passengers traveling with groups of people. Personally, I think this layout is a great idea, and something that I really enjoyed when I flew Delta's A220, which had a 2-3 layout.

True, but I hardly think NH/JL are doing this to convenience passengers. They are businesses.
As for the economics of the aircraft themselves, it's not like JL/NH fly any routes with their 777s that couldn't be done with 3-4-3, so I don't see it being a payload issue.
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

airzona11

Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:44 pm

flyer1225 wrote:
GE90man wrote:

True, but I hardly think NH/JL are doing this to convenience passengers. They are businesses.
As for the economics of the aircraft themselves, it's not like JL/NH fly any routes with their 777s that couldn't be done with 3-4-3, so I don't see it being a payload issue.

NH and JL (now more so JL than NH) have some of the least dense configs, most passenger-friendly planes in the skies. 2-4-3 on 777 is awesome.

oc2dc

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm

I flew LAX-HND in the 2-4-3 configuration. I genuinely felt like I was in premium economy. There was plenty of leg room and the width of the seats was great.

On the return I did NRT-LAX which was a 3-4-3 configuration. The difference was night and day.

My take away was I felt like they did the 2-4-3 more out of HND (which is more business heavy) and the higher density out of NRT. Not sure if there is any accuracy to that, but it was my observation.
I'm not complaining, I'm critiquing...

OA940

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:14 pm

airzona11 wrote:
flyer1225 wrote:
GE90man wrote:

NH and JL (now more so JL than NH) have some of the least dense configs, most passenger-friendly planes in the skies. 2-4-3 on 777 is awesome.

Yeah, they're businesses that focus a lot on pax comfort (JAL more so). They have industry-leading legroom in economy, and these configs only solidify that
A350/CSeries = bae