Jutlander
Topic Author

Round the world using small airports

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:07 am

Let's say you were to go around the world avoiding mega hubs but only making use of smaller airports (let's say 15m pax per year max). Would that be possible? What route would you take?

PatrickZ80

Re: Round the world using small airports

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:52 am

That would be difficult, however I've already figured out it's possible to bridge the Atlantic through Keflavik which is under the limit. Plenty of European destinations from Keflavik are also under the limit, however the American side of the pond is more tough. So far I only found Edmonton and Kansas City as destinations that are under the limit. Now trying to get from either of those airports to Anchorage to catch the Yakutia flights to Siberia, however there are no direct flights and most airports connecting them are over the limit.

fallap

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:48 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
That would be difficult, however I've already figured out it's possible to bridge the Atlantic through Keflavik which is under the limit. Plenty of European destinations from Keflavik are also under the limit, however the American side of the pond is more tough. So far I only found Edmonton and Kansas City as destinations that are under the limit. Now trying to get from either of those airports to Anchorage to catch the Yakutia flights to Siberia, however there are no direct flights and most airports connecting them are over the limit.

Icelandair offers seasonal flights from Keflavik to Anchorage leaving you the option of skipping the US mainland all together, unless that would be cheating of course.

Yakutia Airlines offers seasonal flights from Anchorage to the Kamchatka Peninsula. :D
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

IADCA

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:07 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

From MCI (it involves some backtracking, but these are all under the limit on 2018 numbers):MCI-ABQ (WN); ABQ-SJC (also WN); SJC-KOA (AS); KOA-ANC (also AS).

From YEG (same principle, slightly different route): YEG-SJD (multiple carriers); SJD-SJC (AS); SJC-KOA (AS); KOA-ANC (also AS).

smallmj

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:31 am

You could fly YEG-YHZ-GLA to get from Western North American to Europe. Don't know about the other legs though.

VSMUT

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 am

There are plenty of options between Iceland and the Pacific. Starting out, Icelandair flies to Billund, Air Baltic to Riga and Atlantic Airways has some flights to Vagar.

The problem is crossing the Pacific. I can find options all the way to Easter Island via Noumea and Tahiti, but from there it is Santiago which is well above 15 mio. passengers. Other services all pass through major US hubs like Honolulu, Anchorage, Seattle, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

SRQKEF

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:18 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

As Fallap said, reaching ANC from KEF is easy as FI has operated 2-3x weekly flights there from May until October since 2013. How would you get from Siberia back to Europe?
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

SRQKEF

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:20 am

VSMUT wrote:
There are plenty of options between Iceland and the Pacific. Starting out, Icelandair flies to Billund, Air Baltic to Riga and Atlantic Airways has some flights to Vagar.

The problem is crossing the Pacific. I can find options all the way to Easter Island via Noumea and Tahiti, but from there it is Santiago which is well above 15 mio. passengers. Other services all pass through major US hubs like Honolulu, Anchorage, Seattle, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Anchorage isn't a major hub though is it? In 2017 it didn't even reach 5 mio pax, let alone 15. So XEU-KEF-ANC-PKC-XRU-XEU is probably the way to go, where XEU is some European airport that fits the criteria and XRU is a Russian airport that does the same.

VSMUT

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 am

SRQKEF wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Anchorage isn't a major hub though is it? In 2017 it didn't even reach 5 mio pax, let alone 15. So XEU-KEF-ANC-PKC-XRU-XEU is probably the way to go, where XEU is some European airport that fits the criteria and XRU is a Russian airport that does the same.

You are right, should have checked. I thought it was the home of Alaska Airlines with over 300 planes, so thought it would have been massive.

SRQKEF

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am

VSMUT wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

You are right, should have checked. I thought it was the home of Alaska Airlines with over 300 planes, so thought it would have been massive.

Understandable. While AS is indeed originally from Alaska as the name suggests, their major hubs are SEA and PDX down in the PNW. They also have a large presence in LAX, SFO and SAN down in California, especially after the merger with VA. While they're the largest passenger operator at ANC, and still serve many of the larger routes within the state, that's only a token presence compared to SEA.

lugie

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:57 am

SRQKEF wrote:

I might have found a solution - in this case there isn't just one "XEU" or "XRU" though.

But anyway, considering only airports under 15 million annual pax, this would be a way to bridge the PKC-KEF gap:

PKC - VVO (Vladivostok, 2.6M PAX in 2018) on Aurora or S7
VVO - OVB (Novosibirsk, 5.9M PAX in 2018) on Aurora, S7 or Ural
OVB - TSE (Nur-Sultan, 4.3M PAX in 2018) on Air Astana or S7
TSE - MSQ (Minsk, 4.1M PAX in 2018) on Belavia
MSQ - RIX (Riga, 7M PAX in 2018) on Air Baltic or Belavia
RIX - BLL (Billund, 3.5M in 2018) on Air Baltic

and then BLL - KEF on Icelandair
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW SJO PTY

SRQKEF

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:36 pm

lugie wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

I might have found a solution - in this case there isn't just one "XEU" or "XRU" though.

But anyway, considering only airports under 15 million annual pax, this would be a way to bridge the PKC-KEF gap:

PKC - VVO (Vladivostok, 2.6M PAX in 2018) on Aurora or S7
VVO - OVB (Novosibirsk, 5.9M PAX in 2018) on Aurora, S7 or Ural
OVB - TSE (Nur-Sultan, 4.3M PAX in 2018) on Air Astana or S7
TSE - MSQ (Minsk, 4.1M PAX in 2018) on Belavia
MSQ - RIX (Riga, 7M PAX in 2018) on Air Baltic or Belavia
RIX - BLL (Billund, 3.5M in 2018) on Air Baltic

and then BLL - KEF on Icelandair

You can skip the BLL stop, both airBaltic and Wizz Air operate year-round RIX-KEF flights. But yes, seems like you found a way! Total routing would then be KEF-ANC-PKC-VVO-OVB-TSE-MSQ-RIX-KEF.