FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Question: UA from CPT-EWR on 787-9

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:09 pm

Hello folks,

Due to a schedule change, I was able to get flights changed to CPT-EWR-DFW on the United 787-9 (the first leg). We are flying economy.

I’m excited about flying the new CPT-EWR nonstop.

While We flew the United 787 from SIN-SFO in economy (and had no issue), do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to Economy Plus?

We aren’t big folks, so I don’t need to hear how cramped it is (it’s not); been there and done it without issue.

However, if it were you, would it be worth the upgrade fee for an extra 3” of leg room?

Thanks for your thoughts!!
Whatever

paullam

Question: UA from CPT-EWR on 787-9

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:02 pm

I wouldn’t do it. It’s just 3” after all...
712 733 734 735 737 738 739 744 752 763 77E 77L 77W 788 789 | A20N 318 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 388 | ASK21 | AT75 AT76 | BCS3 | C152 C172 C182 C210 | CR2 CR7 | DH8C DH8D | E190 | F70 F100 | LJ24 | PA31 | RJ85 RJ1H | SF34 | SU9 | YK2

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Re: Question: UA from CPT-EWR on 787-9

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:16 pm

paullam wrote:

Thank you, sir.
Whatever

jetwet1

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:55 pm

For me it would come down to how much it would be, an extra $100 I would do it, an extra $500 I wouldn't. As you said you were comfortable before it really is a cost question.

paullam wrote:

An extra 3" can make a world of difference (that's what she said) for me, when TATL Y was 33"-34" pitch on average I could easily do LAX-LHR, with the pitch at 30"-31" I won't even consider it.

HOOB747

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:59 pm

If you aren't concerned with the additional cost, why not. But if the price is something you have to weigh, then it's not worth it. Economy Plus was great when I had Premier Exec status in the past, but I wouldn't pay an upgrade fare to sit there.
I love dem planes....

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:07 pm

HOOB747 wrote:
If you aren't concerned with the additional cost, why not. But if the price is something you have to weigh, then it's not worth it. Economy Plus was great when I had Premier Exec status in the past, but I wouldn't pay an upgrade fare to sit there.

Thank you. The cost isn’t an issue per say, just looking for a good value. It appears it probably isn’t worth it, give the cost vs what you get in return (or lack there of).

Sincerely,
Whatever

Ishrion

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:06 am

"However, if it were you, would it be worth the upgrade fee for an extra 3” of leg room?"

Given the fact that we're probably all different heights, I definitely would if cost isn't an issue.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:30 am

Ishrion wrote:
"However, if it were you, would it be worth the upgrade fee for an extra 3” of leg room?"

Given the fact that we're probably all different heights, I definitely would if cost isn't an issue.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Whatever

TWA772LR

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:16 am

paullam wrote:

That's not what she said.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:23 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Hello folks,

Due to a schedule change, I was able to get flights changed to CPT-EWR-DFW on the United 787-9 (the first leg). We are flying economy.

While We flew the United 787 from SIN-SFO in economy (and had no issue), do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to Economy Plus?

We aren’t big folks, so I don’t need to hear how cramped it is (it’s not); been there and done it without issue.

However, if it were you, would it be worth the upgrade fee for an extra 3” of leg room?

I'm 6'2" and 225. I just flew DEN-SNA-DEN on a 320 with the blck Smisek slimlines in the aisle and the current slimlines in the middle of a 737. The ride in the middle was Better believe it or not.

Ive also flown Y on UA 787s and Y in the dense 772s and was fine every time. I take it youre not as big as I am and considering youve done fine in Y on SFO-SIN I'd say youd be fine on EWR-CPT. Unless you and your spouse are going for something special like your anniversary, I'd go for the upgrade if its reasonable, especially if the plane has the new Premium Economy. #treatyoself

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:29 am

TWA772LR wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Hello folks,

I'm 6'2" and 225. I just flew DEN-SNA-DEN on a 320 with the blck Smisek slimlines in the aisle and the current slimlines in the middle of a 737. The ride in the middle was Better believe it or not.

Ive also flown Y on UA 787s and Y in the dense 772s and was fine every time. I take it youre not as big as I am and considering youve done fine in Y on SFO-SIN I'd say youd be fine on EWR-CPT. Unless you and your spouse are going for something special like your anniversary, I'd go for the upgrade if its reasonable, especially if the plane has the new Premium Economy. #treatyoself

I’m 5’10”.

Perhaps I missed it, but is UA installing a new Premium Economy on the 787, in particular the 787-9?

The one I’m seeing shows the same 9-abreast seating, with only slightly more leg room. Are they coming out with a truly competitive Premium Economy?
Whatever

TWA772LR

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:18 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Hello folks,

I’m 5’10”.

Perhaps I missed it, but is UA installing a new Premium Economy on the 787, in particular the 787-9?

The one I’m seeing shows the same 9-abreast seating, with only slightly more leg room. Are they coming out with a truly competitive Premium Economy?

They are. Eventually it will be Polaris/Premium Economy/Y+/Y.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:09 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I’m 5’10”.

They are. Eventually it will be Polaris/Premium Economy/Y+/Y.

Thanks for the info. Doubt it will be installed by Feb 2020, but I’d love to be told I’m wrong on that.
Whatever

IAHWorldflyer

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:05 pm

How long is that flight? I'm thinking probably 12+ hours. I would purchase the upgrade, not just for the legroom, but for the fact that it's likely you will get a middle seat vacant, which adds significantly to my comfort on long flights. Usually people paying to upgrade won't pay for a middle seat, so if they fill them it's usually last minute with standby passengers.
Seeing as how the flight is pretty far out, just set a mental price in your head of what you will pay, and check back every week to see if the price for Econ+ drops to that. Given the length of the flight, I'd say anything they show less than $160 is probably a deal. Usually about 6-8 weeks out their revenue management will kick in and start discounting a little bit.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
How long is that flight? I'm thinking probably 12+ hours. I would purchase the upgrade, not just for the legroom, but for the fact that it's likely you will get a middle seat vacant, which adds significantly to my comfort on long flights. Usually people paying to upgrade won't pay for a middle seat, so if they fill them it's usually last minute with standby passengers.
Seeing as how the flight is pretty far out, just set a mental price in your head of what you will pay, and check back every week to see if the price for Econ+ drops to that. Given the length of the flight, I'd say anything they show less than $160 is probably a deal. Usually about 6-8 weeks out their revenue management will kick in and start discounting a little bit.

Good deal. I will keep an eye out, especially in the weeks leading up to the flight.

The flight is blocked at 15:55. I’m guessing that on most days, it will be just shy of 15 hours.
Whatever

Scarebus34

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Keep in mind sometimes United will run sales on E+ seating... its best to keep an eye on TPG website and they will post when this is the case.

BC77008

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:03 pm

I'd look at the seat map; if I see plenty of open seats in economy, where the chances of the middle seat being open if not the entire row (it happens!), then no, I wouldn't pay for E+. Most standbys would be cleared into E+ seats first, depending on the prowess of the gate agent, making E+ fuller. Also, many people pay for E+ for the extra legroom without knowing that if they stayed in E-, they could stretch out at an angle, and share the bountiful cornucopia of extra real estate the empty middle seat provides to both outlier travelers.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!