leftcoast8
Topic Author

Why did BA move MIA/DEN/LAS/PHX/YVR to LHR T3? Why were those particular routes chosen?

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 pm

(Also moved were ACC/CPT/NBO.)

I've flown YVR-LHR twice, in 2006 and 2007. Both times I had taken the early-evening flight out of YVR (BA86) and the standard evening flight on my way back home (BA85). This is back when it was 12 weekly in summer. Anyway, in 2006, it was through Terminal 4 on both legs. The year after, I flew through Terminal 4 on my way in, and Terminal 1 on my way out.

So, my questions are:

• Why were MIA/DEN/LAS/PHX/YVR/ACC/CPT/NBO moved from T5 to T3? Why those specific routes?
  • Why did BA switch from 12 744 in summer to 7 744 + 5 772 (4-class), before deciding on a daily A380 instead?
  • The move to an A380 at YVR freed up 5 LHR slots in summer. Which route got those slots?

Bonus question: If the Port of Seattle were willing to spend the money on A380 gates, would BA have favoured sending the A380 to SEA, or would they have been satisfied with year-round double daily? (772s in winter, 772 + Super Hi J 744 in summer, occasionally mixed in with 77Ls/77Ws.)

LAXintl

Re: Why did BA move MIA/DEN/LAS/PHX/YVR to LHR T3? Why were those particular routes chosen?

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 am

Per a 2015 advisory when other flights were shuffled.

“The routes were chosen based on both operational considerations such as the integration of similar models of aircraft and to ensure we have enough baggage and parking stand facilities throughout the day for both arriving and departing flights, along with commercial factors such as route customer profiles and integration within broader British Airways network.”

= In other words, these are not the premier routes for the network, and probably have lower levels of connectivity to/from flights operating out of T-5.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

Re: Why did BA move MIA/DEN/LAS/PHX/YVR to LHR T3? Why were those particular routes chosen?

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:04 am

Seems it's many lesser or more leisure-oriented markets placed at T3. Looking at their 2018 Euro network from T3, they are not exactly very important routes.

Barcelona
Bilbao
Budapest
Chania
Gibraltar
Helsinki
Lisbon
Luxembourg
Lyon
Marseille
Palermo
Prague
Pula
Vienna
Warsaw
mercure f-wtcc

JakubH

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:10 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Seems it's many lesser or more leisure-oriented markets placed at T3. Looking at their 2018 Euro network from T3, they are not exactly very important routes.

Barcelona
Bilbao
Budapest
Chania
Gibraltar
Helsinki
Lisbon
Luxembourg
Lyon
Marseille
Palermo
Prague
Pula
Vienna
Warsaw

Not sure I agree with the description "not exactly very important", especially for Vienna, Prague, Lisbon, Helsinki, Budapest and Barcelona! I agree some are more leisure-based, but it seem to me they all have a transfer profile that minimizes connection time given AA and BA routes out of T3.

I, for one, love the same-terminal connections for my business trips.

Of course, I have no clue about internal numbers on yields, transfer share etc.
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
C. S. Lewis