acavpics
Topic Author

Why don't AI and UA codeshare with eachother on US-India flights?

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:53 am

I just noticed that AI and UA don't codeshare on flights between DEL/BOM - ORD/EWR/SFO/IAD. Why is this the case when all of these are strong Star Alliance hubs and could offer seamless connections for passengers if there was a codeshare agreement?

CollegeAviator

Re: Why don't AI and UA codeshare with eachother on US-India flights?

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 pm

United (and Air China) have been vocal opponents of Air India's entry in to Star Alliance apparently - there is a bit of a tiff in between them. Which is probably why UA codeshared with 9W when they were still flying and soon UK.

UA also do not codeshare with Singapore Airlines, Thai & Turkish, you'll notice.

acavpics
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
UA also do not codeshare with Singapore Airlines, Thai & Turkish, you'll notice.

Is it for the same reason that they don't codeshare with AI? (Opposition against SQ, TK, and Thai being in *A)

upperdeckfan

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 am

acavpics wrote:
I just noticed that AI and UA don't codeshare on flights between DEL/BOM - ORD/EWR/SFO/IAD. Why is this the case when all of these are strong Star Alliance hubs and could offer seamless connections for passengers if there was a codeshare agreement?

I might be wrong but I think that you are offered seamless connections on carriers within the same alliance regardless of code sharing or not.

I recently flew TP/UA LIS-ORD-DTW and although TP's LIS-ORD doesn't have a UA code I got a seamless connection at ORD on to UA's ORD-DTW.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

flyingclrs727

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:36 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
United (and Air China) have been vocal opponents of Air India's entry in to Star Alliance apparently - there is a bit of a tiff in between them. Which is probably why UA codeshared with 9W when they were still flying and soon UK.

What I find is weird is that recently I started using Google Flights to search for international iteneraries. When you're ready to purchase the tickets, they have options to lets you buy the same itenerary through several different airlines often at radically different prices. What's weird is the iteneraries never appear on any if the various airlines' websites. I've seen combinations of United, Lufthansa, Austrian, Turkish, Air Canada, etc. that can be purchased through several airlines' websites via Google Flights but absolutely none of them were available from the search engines on those sites. In some cases I have seen the same combinations of flights available from Orbitz, Priceline, etc. but for thousands of dollars more.

LGAviation

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:22 am

acavpics wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

Is it for the same reason that they don't codeshare with AI? (Opposition against SQ, TK, and Thai being in *A)

TG definitely is due to Thailand's FAA security rating not permitting codeshares by American carriers. Singapore has always had a very cautious approach towards codeshares although they do cooperate with Lufthansa and Air New Zealand now but I would imagine that United wouldn't have too many destinations that it would want to send passengers to via Singapore. As for TK, I would assume it's the same reasons as with AI plus the A++ JV.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

acavpics
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:55 am

LGAviation wrote:
Singapore has always had a very cautious approach towards codeshares although they do cooperate with Lufthansa and Air New Zealand now but I would imagine that United wouldn't have too many destinations that it would want to send passengers to via Singapore. As for TK, I would assume it's the same reasons as with AI plus the A++ JV.

But if SQ codeshared with UA, wouldn't they be able to funnel passengers via SFO, LAX, and even IAH?

LGAviation

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:49 am

acavpics wrote:
LGAviation wrote:
Singapore has always had a very cautious approach towards codeshares although they do cooperate with Lufthansa and Air New Zealand now but I would imagine that United wouldn't have too many destinations that it would want to send passengers to via Singapore. As for TK, I would assume it's the same reasons as with AI plus the A++ JV.

But if SQ codeshared with UA, wouldn't they be able to funnel passengers via SFO, LAX, and even IAH?

Absolutely, but I would believe that these routes mainly serve O&D and that they're happy with their jetBlue relationship as is but this is all pure speculation on my part.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:08 pm

I think UA and AI should JV. Call me crazy but it’d probably be the most innovative and unique way to combat EK. AI could launch EWR-AMD nonstop, drop EWR-BOM and JFK-DEL, and leave UA to go 2x daily on EWR-India.
AI could handle SFO, ORD and IAD on their own, and they should also launch IAH-DEL.
Offer seamless benefits on UA/AI and boom: EK defeated to most common passengers
Pakistan's aviation sector is coming back. It won't be as strong as our eastern neighbor, nowhere close, but it's going to grow over time. Stand by and watch.

Born to Pakistani parents near ORD; raised and based near ORD.

acavpics
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:54 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
I think UA and AI should JV. Call me crazy but it’d probably be the most innovative and unique way to combat EK. AI could launch EWR-AMD nonstop, drop EWR-BOM and JFK-DEL, and leave UA to go 2x daily on EWR-India.
AI could handle SFO, ORD and IAD on their own, and they should also launch IAH-DEL.
Offer seamless benefits on UA/AI and boom: EK defeated to most common passengers

Not sure if combating EK (Or any gulf carrier) is a high priority at the moment, since the ME3 have been facing hurdles of their own in recent years. The ME3 (Especially loss making EY) are definitely not as big a force as they were about 4-5 years ago.