adicool
Topic Author

Copa - where should they fly next?

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:20 am

I was just reading about the possible expansion of CM to Paraguay's Ciudad del Este, which has baffled me quit a bit
Here is the article (in Spanish)
https://www.caribbeannewsdigital.com/es ... cia-panama

What do you think are some major holes in CM already very impressive network?

I always thought CUE would be a great, pioneering addition to CMs network.
Also, YVR seems missing I guess

Ishrion

Re: Copa - where should they fly next?

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:26 am

IAH is a hole in their network. However, it’s already well served with United and Air China’s Fifth Freedom Flight.

I’m assuming Copa codeshares with at least one or both of them?

A388

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:28 am

A more interesting question is how the emergence of long range narrowbody aircraft (like the A321NEO XLR) will effect Copa's hub operations. I can imagine that at some point in the future many routes won't need that stop in PTY when flying between South America and North America. Please correct me on this.

A388

flymco753

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:53 am

I already know about some possible heat but here we go.

I think DTW is a good potential option. First and foremost, O&D traffic between DTW/PTY is not that large, but it's what PTY provides beyond PTY that matters. DL ended GRU. Surprisingly, DTW's Brazillian market is dispersed beyond GRU. I think that high yielding traffic with a mix of traffic to growing Bogota and other leisure markets like Aruba, Santiago, and Buenos Aires could hypothetically make this work. DL ending GRU has made this potentially more viable than before.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Thenoflyzone

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:28 am

PTY-YVR is out of range for the Max 8.

Copa's 2018 investor presentation (p.40) clearly illustrates this.

https://copa.gcs-web.com/static-files/9d71c0c5-ceb9-4a51-9350-eb35a10cfb18

SEA, which is illustrated in that chart, has a better chance of getting service, but again, it’s tight.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

TWA772LR

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Austin would be a good one. As would San Diego.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

dfwjim1

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:38 pm

Add DFW to the mix.

SCQ83

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:47 pm

I am surprised they don't fly to Cusco given how big tourism is there (Machu Picchu). Also Belém in Brazil.

PatrickZ80

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:17 pm

A388 wrote:
A more interesting question is how the emergence of long range narrowbody aircraft (like the A321NEO XLR) will effect Copa's hub operations. I can imagine that at some point in the future many routes won't need that stop in PTY when flying between South America and North America. Please correct me on this.

A388

To a certain degree that's true, however the benefit of the hub location will remain. It will enable them to connect points together one-stop where there isn't enough demand for a non-stop flight.

Of course those long range narrow body aircraft can also be a blessing for Copa as it will enable them to reach further destinations. Think for example Seattle, which is too far from Panama for a regular 737 but would be within range for a MAX.

vuelti24

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:28 pm

A388 wrote:

A388

I think that the A321 XLR is a bad thing for Copa, as some airlines can benefit on this plane for flights within primary and secondary cities between North and South America or viceversa. However, PTY still will be a great location and most of their routes between secondary to secondary markets will remain unnafected by competition.

Planes4you

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:38 am

DFW

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:05 am

San Diego!!

We know they have been in talks here; however, the MAX8 and inability to agree on a landing time for FIS and customs have kept them out.

For now.

I eagerly await the day I see the beauty on approach, and someone says to me, "oh, look - another United". "Oh, no" I will reply happily - "look again! That's COPA from Panama City!"