Gbass21
Topic Author

What could EK do with 778/A359/789 in the fleet?

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi guys,I've been reading for quite a while threads about Emirates renegotiating 777x orders, and A350/B789 orders and so. But, what destinations could ek launch with those aircraft that are non viable with today's fleet?.
The only destinations that I could think of are smaller cities in Usa/Canada, some smaller cities in Asia (personally I think it is a well covered market) or adding other AUS/NZ cities with smaller aircraft, can a 778 or A359 make MEX or BOG nonstop to Dubai? Maybe some nonstop to EZE. But, what else they can do with such a diversified fleet?

xwb777

Re: What could EK do with 778/A359/789 in the fleet?

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:43 pm

The A330NEO/A350/B787 will do the same job as the A330s before they have left the fleet, expansion and additional frequencies. Plus replacement of older B777s.

Scotron12

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Well..I don't think Airbus has much to lose here as much as Boeing does if they end up cancelling/deferring their 777x order.

Sure it would be a hit to the 339/350 order book...but Airbus will survive!

PatrickZ80

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:26 pm

Indeed these aircraft aren't for adding new destinations, they're meant for replacing older aircraft. The fact that they ordered different types of different sizes means that they want to tailor the aircraft size to the route. Some routes are currently served with a 777 which is actually too big for that destination however it's the smallest they got. As they receive smaller aircraft types, those are expected to take over the thinner routes freeing up the larger aircraft that currently serve them. Those larger aircraft, if not up for retirement yet, can then take over the routes from aircraft that are leaving the fleet.

OmerMaz

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:44 am

From my understanding, the A339s will take on regional routes ( I guess from 30 minutes to 6 hours?) probably in the ME, Southern Asia etc...
The A350s (then again, based on what was discussed when the deal was sealed) will be expanded on longer hauls but (probably) not for ULHs, likely to Europe and routes of up to max 9 hours.

afterburner

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:57 am

OmerMaz wrote:
From my understanding, the A339s will take on regional routes ( I guess from 30 minutes to 6 hours?) probably in the ME, Southern Asia etc...

A339 can reach all Asia, all Africa, all Europe, and Western Australia. So it can be used on new routes.

OmerMaz

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 pm

afterburner wrote:
OmerMaz wrote:

A339 can reach all Asia, all Africa, all Europe, and Western Australia. So it can be used on new routes.

It can defenitly serve them for every destination they'd like in Europe or Asia indeed, maybe they'll launch some new thin routes with it.

leftcoast8

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:09 pm

The 787-9 would be a good aircraft for YVR or YYC, if Transport Canada would allow the UAE any slots to western Canada. AC already flies YVR-DEL with the 787-9 (with the detour around the Himalayas it's just over 12,000 km, only ~300 km less than EK's SEA flight)

A 787 would be a better choice for a smaller, leisure-heavy market like Vancouver or Calgary, instead of shoehorning in a 77W or A380 (I don't even think YYC has A380 gates, despite the opening of runway 17/35) which would monopolize the Vancouver-India market. Much of the traffic from the Air Canada/Lufthansa JV, as well as from KLM and Chinese carriers (BA for YYC), is headed to India.

"But leftcoast8, Calgary has lots of premium demand!" There are oil companies HQ'd in Calgary like Husky and Suncor, but the collapse in oil prices since 2014 was a huge hit to the industry, and the Fort McMurray wildfires made things even worse.

At the same time, I question whether YVR or YYC has the demand for a supercarrier (EK, EY, QR, TK, ET), especially with low oil prices. There are already codeshare agreements for EK's nonstop routes in North America (AS for SEA, WS for YYZ and LAX). SEA, YYZ and LAX are three of YVR's biggest destinations, and YYZ is the busiest destination out of YVR. Etihad is in a death spiral and Qatar's political issues (plus BA's existing presence at YVR/YYC) make QR a tough sell. Ethiopian couldn't even make LAX work, so ADD-YYC/ADD-YVR is out of the question.

A decent compromise I can think of is DXB-YYC-YVR, limited to 3x/week with no 5th freedom rights on the YYC-YVR-YYC segment.