mantistobogn
Topic Author

Europe Transit Inconsistency

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:33 pm

Is there a reason why one would transit through Europe and be required to re-screen at a security checkpoint on one trip and then not another?

For example, I flew through FRA and connected to another EU destination but I did not have to go through a security checkpoint post Passport Control. A colleague, flying the same flight and route but on a different day, was required to go through screening. Also, I flew the exact route the previous year and was required to go through screening after landing in FRA.

Another question I have, is why does the EU require additional screening when connecting? Are you not considered "sterile" any longer?

Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for this, which can be pretty annoying but hopefully someone with more knowledge can fill me in.

Scarebus34

Re: Europe Transit Inconsistency

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:38 pm

It depends on what gates your flight arrives/departs at FRA ... some transfers unfortunately require you to be re-screened simply based on gate locations.

Arrival gates in A connecting to departing gate in C requires transfer security .
Arriving in a C gate and connecting to a A/B/Z gate will require transfer security.
Arrival gates B20-63 require transfer security.

BasilFawlty

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:16 pm

From Non-Schengen to Schengen: re-screening and passport control.
From Schengen to Schengen: no re-screening and no passport control.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

OSL777FLYER

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi,

Hopefully I can shed some light on this.

The general rule is that if you come from outside the Schengen/EEC area, you will have to go through another security check after passport control. Seems strange sometimes since the U.S. and Europe have the same rules.

FRA is a special case here:

I have experienced both having to go through security. As stated, it sometimes depends on which gates you arrive at. I have arrived on on LH/UA and have just gone through passport, then no security, although sometimes I have arrived in the B-gates and then having had to go through security as well. It seems that if you arrive on the A and Z gates from the U.S, you can just go through the passport and then be on your way.

For Intra-European flights, unless Schengen, you just go through to your next gate.

However, at LHR, which is outside of Schengen, everyone has to go through security check, even though you are transiting e.g. Sweden to the U.S. etc. For some reason you are not considered "sterile" which I find odd since what could you have done in the meantime?

Also, LHR is the only airport I have gone through in Europe that requires you to take your shoes off.

In the U.S shoes must be removed, but an Ipad can stay in the bag. In Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark etc. it is the exact opposite.

stylo777

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Being a rather old airport FRA surely seems like a labyrinth sometimes. Technically, you can transit according to BasilFawlty's explanation, but sometimes it's simply shorter and quicker to go through security again instead of taking the SkyTrain (airside).

Joost

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm

There are actually three categories of how you can arrive by air at a Schengen airport.

1) From Schengen (always sterile)
2) From Non-Schengen, sterile. This is valid for non Schengen EU countries (e.g. UK, Ireland, Romania) and specific other countries (USA, Canada)
3) From Non-Schengen, non-sterile (most other countries)

Separating these flows requires a lot of infrastructure.
Many (most) airports only separate flows 1 & 3 and therefore require more checks.

AMS is the only airport I know that separates all three distinct flows, saving on the number of security checks performed. At least CDG (T2E/F) and MAD (T1/2) treat all Non Schengen traffic as non sterile. FRA could have it implemented partly, but when I flew YOW-FRA-AMS a few weeks ago, I joined a flow of non-sterile (local O&D) pax just after passport control and was re-checked. I can imagine that I could transfer to Non-Schengen destination without any further security check.

In 2009, Northwest 253 with the shoe bomber, who boarded LOS-AMS and transferred onto AMS-DTW and was not rechecked at AMS. The regulations to re-check from non-sterile countries should prevent this.

mantistobogn
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:02 pm

BasilFawlty wrote:
From Non-Schengen to Schengen: re-screening and passport control.
From Schengen to Schengen: no re-screening and no passport control.

While I personally experienced this from Z > A gates, my colleague transited the same route the following day but was forced to re-clear security screening.

VSMUT

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:35 pm

You would be right to criticize this atrocious mess. There is no consistency at all.

Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Zürich let you right through.
Bucharest, Rome Fiumicino and London Heathrow will force you through an unnecessary security screening just to steal all your liquids and force you to buy new ones.

ZuluTime

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Seems strange sometimes since the U.S. and Europe have the same rules.

That's not true. The EU views the US policy on not screening airport staff as one of the major risks.

Regulation EC300/2008 sets the standard and EU member states are free to add additional measures if they deem appropriate based on risk (as the UK does). In short, if you arrive from a non-EU point into the EU, you should be re-screened before boarding another flight departing from that EU airport, regardless of its destination. There are a few exceptions but that's the broad rule.

usflyer msp

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Lookup up OSS - one stop security. It is an EU initiative where travellers from "safe" countries will not have to be rescreened during transit. Many airports are slowly being redesigned to make this possible but until then you treatment will vary depending on airport and sometimes even terminal or gate.

IAHFLYR

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 pm

We landing FRA from IAH last week, arrived Z gate and only had to clear passport control on our way to LH Business Lounge near A26 then on to our A gate to MXP. It sounds much more confusing than what we experienced, thankfully! :)
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.