hpff
Topic Author

Stapleton Airport question - how bad was it, really?

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:10 am

I only flew through Stapleton once, right around the time they were planning on decommissioning it in the mid-80s, and as such don't have much of a memory of the airport. I wasn't very up to date on their plans to replace it at the time, but I've gotten more interested in the airport over the years from the unique runway layout to just how many flights it seemed like the airport could (or couldn't) handle.

I'm specifically curious as to how bad Stapleton became during bad weather, which was one of the reasons cited for building DIA, and the role the commuter runway (18/36) played, if any, as this seemed to have adequate separation from the other runways. Would the airport go down to only one runway due to separation with heavy crosswinds? Also, I think Southwest pulled out of Denver because they couldn't turn the plane quickly enough?

Any insight would be interesting!

slcguy

Re: Stapleton Airport question - how bad was it, really?

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 am

Having flown though Stapleton as a kid in the 1960s and as an adult in the 70s and 80s, I don't remember it as being as bad as people make it out to be. The terminals were in decent shape although crowded without enough gates. Frontier and Continental resorted to remote parking some aircraft using the old style lift buses to get passengers to aircraft, not that uncommon at large airports in the 1970s. Not sure if United ever had to do this. Biggest issue was the close runway spacing which lead to delays in bad weather with the traffic volume DEN had. Remember one flight, ABQ-DEN, flight time 50 minutes. But landed on 35R in a snow storm, if you look at the airport diagram that puts you a long ways from the terminal, after a long slow 50 minute taxi we finally parked at the gate. We were connecting to a flight to SLC, we joked we were skipping the Denver connection and were taxiing to SLC. LOL It was definitely time for a new airport when DIA opened in 1994.

SPREE34

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 pm

I loved the terminal. Air Traffic wise it worked mostly well if weather allowed for visual approaches. In IFR condidtions, the arrival rate was cut in over half. I worked many hours of holding as a controller feeding Stapleton.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

cosyr

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:32 pm

I loved Stapleton. It was so much more interesting than DIA, but I can see that it was constrained, mostly from a runway perspective. As I lived in Denver, not connecting through it, I didn't really suffer from the delays that people complained about. I also, always flew out of E, which was really nice, or B, which was fairly new and renovated. Since it closed prior to 9/11, the multiple security check points weren't a big deal, and exploring as a kid was really fun. As an airplane enthusiast, I wish I had been older by the time it closed so I could better appreciate the stages of growth it experienced over the decades.

When DIA opened, obviously it was new, shiny and spacious, but driving all the way out to what seemed like Kansas was tough to get used to. Now that Denver has grown all the way out to DIA, I can really appreciate the level of planning they put into buying so much land, because growth at airports like ORD or STL has been painful, and at places like LAX, JFK, and SFO, non-existent.

EAR111pt2

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:56 pm

I grew up in Colorado, and flew out of Stapleton numerous times.Only one time did I fly out in bad weather. About a month after that Continental crash, I was flying out to IND to spend Christmas with family in Illinois. The weather that day was stinking bad. Interestingly enough, I was flying Continental and on the same model of aircraft that crashed. It took over an hour to drive from FNL to DEN due to the heavy snow. Check in took just as long. The Denver Nuggets were passing through on their way to a road game. Got very close to Alex English!! By the time we boarded, we had to de-ice, and then wait for clearance. This plane was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. We did take off eventually, and once we broke through the clouds, everyone was clapping. That is my story about Stapleton in bad weather,.

PatrickZ80

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:07 pm

From what I've heard (never been there myself) it wasn't bad at all, but it was small. It had insufficient capacity and couldn't expand.

Denver did what so many other cities did as well (and are still doing). They built a new airport further away from the city to replace the old one. Of course if you're starting from scratch anyway, you might as well do it right and build it future-proof. That's what they did in Denver where the new airport offered more capacity than they needed at that moment. They anticipated on future growth. Once the new airport opened, the old was closed.

I can name a good number of cities that would need to do the same.

JayinKitsap

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:15 pm

I grew up in Boulder, then back in Denver 1981-1985, regularly flying there for trips. Lots of ski trips.

Yes there were some delays, but in total less than DIA if one factors in the 20 mile drive past Stapleton to get to DIA.

We used to joke about the D concourse that we were walking half way to Kansas.

My first flight was at Stapleton, back in 1962. At an airport open house they had a DC-3 that was doing 20 min flights, I went alone on it as my Dad said "I've flown" and didn't want to buy a 2nd fare. Another time around then we watched our grandparents fly out on a Connie.

One issue with Stapleton getting moved that wasn't discussed much was the runway was right next to the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, a chemical weapons depot.

globalflyer

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:40 pm

I live on what was Runway 35L now. Of course no trace of Stapleton now except the control tower. I never flew into or our out Stapleton but would love to know what it looked like on the inside.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

Concierge

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 pm

globalflyer wrote:
I live on what was Runway 35L now. Of course no trace of Stapleton now except the control tower. I never flew into or our out Stapleton but would love to know what it looked like on the inside.

Is the control tower accessible or used for anything?

msp747

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Concierge wrote:
globalflyer wrote:

Is the control tower accessible or used for anything?

The structure is now a Punch Bowl Social. They've done nice work with the place and you can take the old stairs in the tower up to the 2nd level. No access the top unfortunately.

MIflyer12

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 pm

The FAA said DEN was overcrowded in the mid-1980s with 32 million passengers, and a particular hazard to nationwide traffic in poor weather. Last year Denver International saw 64 million passengers. It's not perfect but something big was necessary. https://www.flydenver.com/about/financi ... er_traffic

bob75013

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 pm

I flew out of Stapleton many times. I Liked the airport, and never had any substantial delays. Reember one of the last times I flew into it - after yet another of the DIA delayed openings and the pilot came on the PA as we flew over DIA and announced that DIA stood for "delayed into August"

The first time I drove past Stapleton on my way to DIA, I hated it -- still do.

That being said, there's no way that Stapleton could have handled the 64 million that flew thru DIA last year.

Q

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 pm

I flew into Stapleton quite many times at least 10 times. It was not that bad airport. It was nice and quick taxing to terminal and take off on time. Funny thing 2 years later, the very same place baggage claim I was the first arrived claim area my bag came in first one! Two years later, the same thing bag came first! LOL!

Q

slcguy

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Seeing a common theme here. Stapleton wasn't a bad airport, it served the Denver area well for 60+ years. The city of Denver and associated Colorado front range simply expanded beyond it's capacity as well as being a hub for more than one airline exceded it's limits. Best we remember it for its part in aviation history.

aaway

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:41 pm

I worked for United from '90-'95 and had plenty of Stapleton experiences.

I'd suggest obtaining a copy of the book, 'Denver International Airport - Lessons Learned' by Paul Stephen Dempsey. The thrust of the book is on the politics that led to the building of Denver International. Yet, it's also through that prism that you'll learn why Stapleton was replaced.

Ultimately, it was a confluence of factors that led to the closure of Stapleton. I believe justifications were made that, in hindsight, were questionable.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

cosyr

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:10 am

aaway wrote:
I worked for United from '90-'95 and had plenty of Stapleton experiences.

I'd suggest obtaining a copy of the book, 'Denver International Airport - Lessons Learned' by Paul Stephen Dempsey. The thrust of the book is on the politics that led to the building of Denver International. Yet, it's also through that prism that you'll learn why Stapleton was replaced.

Ultimately, it was a confluence of factors that led to the closure of Stapleton. I believe justifications were made that, in hindsight, were questionable.

There were several reasons why Stapleton was replaced, and some of them may have been debatable, but one that was not was the fact that it had essentially the same runway set up as an airport like EWR, and there was no way to change that. There was no room left. If you're an airport like FRA or LHR, you may be able to survive with fewer runways, because you have a large percentage of longhaul wide body flights, but DEN did not. It is a midcontinent connection hub, and has held 3 hub airlines. By the modern definition of a hub, DIA can sustain that. Stapleton could not have handled 65 million passengers.

Thunderbolt500

Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 am

Den is more busy than msp

aaway

Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:34 am

cosyr wrote:
There were several reasons why Stapleton was replaced, and some of them may have been debatable, but one that was not was the fact that it had essentially the same runway set up as an airport like EWR, and there was no way to change that. There was no room left. If you're an airport like FRA or LHR, you may be able to survive with fewer runways, because you have a large percentage of longhaul wide body flights, but DEN did not. It is a midcontinent connection hub, and has held 3 hub airlines. By the modern definition of a hub, DIA can sustain that. Stapleton could not have handled 65 million passengers.

To qualify a bit, yes, Stapleton's final runway configuration could not have been altered much within the then airport property. As I recall, there was a proposal to acquire land on the Rocky Mountain Arsenal to build another runway. That proposal died as a result either (A) purported RMA contamination (Superfund site), (B) costs of land acquisition/decontamination vis-a-vis costs of building new airport, (C) Federico Pena's ego, (D) U.S. Army reluctance/unwillingness to cede land for a new runway.

Yet, consider the apparent effectiveness of the Superfund program such that a large portion of RMA was, essentially, deeded to Commerce City. And, just so happens that land is located in the southwest quandrant of the RMA (or, an area abutting the then existing infrastructure at Stapleton.)

With regard to todays pax count being theoretically handled at Stapleton - the terminal airside could probably handle the current day volume. Think in these terms....with the exception of commuter/"express" operations, aircraft gauge has changed very little in the nearly 25 years since Stapleton. What has changed rather drastically has been seating density. Also, with the exception of commuters, the fleet mix at DEN has changed very little.

The increase of pax volume is still primarily connecting vs O & D., though a lower percentage of connecting traffic vs. the past. So, the bulk of that increase would still occur between gates. However, I do believe that the increase in total annual O & D pax count since the closing of Stapleton likely would've necessitated the relocation of terminal facilities had Stapleton remained open as the primary airport.

Link to Stapleton images on the Freeman Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields site:
http://airfieldsfreeman.com/CO/Airfield ... #stapleton
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

DELTA767-400

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:49 am

globalflyer wrote:

aaway wrote:
cosyr wrote:
Link to Stapleton images on the Freeman Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields site:
http://airfieldsfreeman.com/CO/Airfield ... #stapleton

Thanks to the link provided by aaway I learned that the tower is not the only thing left. Hanger 61 was saved! What a cool building. Gonna need to check it out the next time I am in Denver. It is now a church, so should be easy to get inside and take a look!

Also some of the United facilities are still there.

The Bearded Spotter

jsnww81

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:03 am

I flew through Stapleton twice, in 1991 (age 10) and again in 1993 (age 12). Both times were for family spring break trips to go skiing during elementary school - I was already an airport enthusiast by then and the new airport was under very-highly-publicized construction, so even as a kid I recognized I should appreciate both visits, since it wasn't going to be around much longer.

Weather was good both trips, so I don't remember any delays due to the runway configuration. In 1991 we landed on runway 26R on a United 727 from DFW. I remember they were using both 26 runways for landings, and the planes were staggered on approach similar to what's done at SFO in good weather today. Our flight parked at Concourse A, which had just been rebuilt a few years before - I recall being shocked at how modern and sleek it seemed inside. It was very late-1980s architecture... lots of dark colors, potted plants and tinted windows. It looked like the lobby of a bank or an office building. We left out of Concourse B a week later and it was similar in style, although much busier as it many more gates.

Funny story - the United 727 had audio programming at every seat, and my siblings and I were listening to it as the plane landed at Stapleton. "Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega was playing as we touched down, and to this day I think of Stapleton every time I hear that song.

Two years later in 1993, we arrived on Sun Country, again on a 727, but this time late at night. Sun Country had recently moved from Concourse E to Concourse D (Continental was giving up gates as its hub operation shrunk, so airlines were moving around near the end) and I remember being sad that I wouldn't get to see the inside of Concourse E, which was the newest, shiniest addition to the terminal. Concourse D was in REALLY rough shape - it was pretty obvious they were letting things slide as the opening of DIA approached and Continental ramped down the hub. I remember a lot of peeling paint on the exterior, frayed carpet held down by electrical tape, inoperative moving sidewalks and big brown water stains on the ceiling tiles.

In the "Great Hall" behind the ticket counters (that connected all the concourses outside security) there was a big walkthrough display showcasing the new airport. There was a huge architect's model of the terminal building and concourses - I had my parents' camera and took a bunch of pictures that I still have, although they didn't really come out very well due to the low light.

On both trips, I departed to the north, on runway 35L. The taxi time to the terminal was really short as the runway threshold was very close to the concourses. I could also see a line of planes heading to the outer northern runway (35R), and I remember thinking it was really cool that the runway went right over Interstate 70 and the plane crossed it at high speed.

Two years later in 1995, we went back to Colorado and flew into DIA only about a week after it opened. We drove past Stapleton on our way into town, and it was eerie seeing it completely shut down. There were still jetways attached to all the concourses, and the Continental meatball logo was still on the big gold hangar that was right next to I-70. There was also a big FedEx facility on the other side of I-70, between runway 17R-35L and the outer commuter runway.

Memories! I wish I'd thought to take more pictures back then...

b747400erf

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:46 am

On this topic I received a 1989 chart does anyone have more recent year charts for this airport at or a little before 1995?

aaway

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:55 am

hpff wrote:
I'm specifically curious as to how bad Stapleton became during bad weather, which was one of the reasons cited for building DIA, and the role the commuter runway (18/36) played, if any, as this seemed to have adequate separation from the other runways. Would the airport go down to only one runway due to separation with heavy crosswinds?

The problem with Stapleton was days when sustained winds limited the flow to a single direction. In those instances, Stapleton essentially became a dual runway operation. Precipitation and IMC (instrument meteorological conditions) made the operation worse. Not only was 18/36 limited to commuter/GA operations, it didn't have an ILS.

Timz alluded to the typical configuration in his post - in VMC, and with relatively calm winds, arrivals would occur in staggered fashion on both 25s. Departures were to the north from the 35s.

Denver's outsized geographic & operational importance in the national airspace system certainly was influential in the creation of DIA. Otherwise, Denver enjoys about 250 to 275 days a year of VMC weather.

CRJ200flyer

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:39 am

Source - Stapleton Wikipedia page

Can someone explain why they chose to put those two runways (upper middle of the image, I think 35L and 35R?) so close together, and place one of them so deep into the property?

Separate question - how was the congestion around the pier located on the back side of the terminal complex? Looks like one way in and out from the photos with a lot of potential for grid lock.

From the excellent link already shared on this thread (http://airfieldsfreeman.com/CO/Airfields_CO_Denver_NE.htm#stapleton)

hpff
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:13 am

Thanks to all for your responses.

Was 18/36 not built to handle jets at all? Were any other flows ever used in VMC apart from landing on the 26s and departing on the 35s? And when the airport could only use one set of runways, how badly were operations affected - was it effectively Gatwicking when you could only use the 8/26s?

jsnww81

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

hpff wrote:

Was 18/36 not built to handle jets at all?

18/36 might have been able to take the BAE-146 (which United Express operated) but doubt it would have handled anything more than that.

To the question about 17L-35R being offset from its twin and set deeper into the property - this was done intentionally. 17R-35L (the western north-south runway) opened in 1962, and almost immediately there were plans to build a parallel strip. The original plan in the late 1960s had it aligned with the first runway. In the early 1970s, the city of Aurora sued to have the runway moved northward by about a mile and a half, to reduce the noise footprint from southward departures. The city agreed to the plan, in part because it meant only a single taxiway bridge over I-70, rather than a (very expensive) reinforced bridge for the runway, as was done on 17R-35L.

When the second strip opened in 1976, it was fully north of I-70, on land that had been acquired from the RMA. That placement meant longer taxi times, but it also saved the city some money and kept Aurora from blocking the runway's construction completely. By the 1970s, nearby communities were beginning to complain about loudly about noise, especially the Park Hill area to the west of the airport.

aaway

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:04 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Can someone explain why they chose to put those two runways (upper middle of the image, I think 35L and 35R?) so close together, and place one of them so deep into the property?

Just to expound a bit on the commentary from Timz, jurisdictional matters limited expansions options for Stapleton. If I'm recalling the history correctly, the original desire was to further lengthen at least one of the 8/26s for the early jets (also necessary due to altitude and degradation of performance on the early jet engines.) However, the city of Aurora, and/or Arapahoe County rejected land acquisition overtures. The land to the north of the terminal was open/largely undeveloped, so that's the direction the city of Denver went in.

Later, Denver managed to purchase a limited portion of RMA for development of 17L/35R. That acreage was what the U.S. Army was willing to part with for airport expansion.

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Separate question - how was the congestion around the pier located on the back side of the terminal complex? Looks like one way in and out from the photos with a lot of potential for grid lock.

By the time E (the pier oriented east/west) came into existence, CO had begun transitioning operations on D to CO Express. E became the home to all of the non-hub carriers. There may have been waits for the alleyway to clear, but hardly anything approaching gridlock.

jsnww81 wrote:
....in 1993, we arrived on Sun Country, again on a 727, but this time late at night. Sun Country had recently moved from Concourse E to Concourse D (Continental was giving up gates as its hub operation shrunk, so airlines were moving around near the end) and I remember being sad that I wouldn't get to see the inside of Concourse E, which was the newest, shiniest addition to the terminal. Concourse D was in REALLY rough shape - it was pretty obvious they were letting things slide as the opening of DIA approached and Continental ramped down the hub. I remember a lot of peeling paint on the exterior, frayed carpet held down by electrical tape, inoperative moving sidewalks and big brown water stains on the ceiling tiles.

That's also my recollection of 'D' as well. Though CO was still the primary lessee of 'D', only CO related operations occurring at that point were the limited CO Express flights that remained. CO Express continued to hub for CO for about a year after CO began pulling the mainline hub. But, yeah, it was clear that there wasn't any further investment by CO. 'C' was better maintained up until the pulldown, but was definitely "aged" (for lack of a better term.)

hpff wrote:
Was 18/36 not built to handle jets at all? Were any other flows ever used in VMC apart from landing on the 26s and departing on the 35s? And when the airport could only use one set of runways, how badly were operations affected - was it effectively Gatwicking when you could only use the 8/26s?

I can't recall now, but 18/36 was either 75' or 100' wide, and had weight restrictions based upon bogey configuration. Outside of GA jets, I doubt any air carriers approved of its use for their individual jet operations.

WRT to flow, the configuration I experienced the least were the east/south operations - arrivals on the 17s, departures from the 6s. From what I saw, the configuration occurred during that period of wind shift ahead of weather front passage from the north.

aaway

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:39 pm

hpff wrote:
And when the airport could only use one set of runways, how badly were operations affected - was it effectively Gatwicking when you could only use the 8/26s?

W/R/T IMC operations - for departures, fairly common to be gate-held, then sent to the penalty box prior to joining the queue for departure. For arrivals, SPREE34 alluded to this in his post: I experienced an actual arrival stack one winter day flying from DFW. The cockpit had Channel 9 dialed in on the IES. You could listen to the controllers descending aircraft progressively in 1000' increments prior to handoff to Denver Approach. The coolest (for me) aspect was that it was clear enough at altitude in our stack whereby I could see from my window seat the two planes below us, and the two planes above us as we're all doing the circuit.