VC10er
Topic Author

Airports with Hotels, smack in the middle of Terminals

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:26 am

I have been staying at the Westin at Denver airport recently. It’s not smack in the middle but certainly close enough. And it also has become one of my favorite hotels in the world! But damn it’s expensive! And no wonder because they stopped at nothing to make beautiful.

It’s not like those quick sleeping rooms at GRU!

Background: I just booked a flight: EWR to LHR, on the UA morning flight that gets in late. I’m booked into at a (new I think) Hilton Garden Inn, and seems in the middle LHR, nestled in with the terminals, between runways. It “looks” beautiful and brand new online and I don’t recall ever seeing it before. No need for a shuttle bus (I don’t think) and surprisingly it was similarly priced to the old ones that dot the roads around LHR. Seems too good to be true! Then at 6:50AM I’m on BA to Mykonos-nonstop (in fact the only nonstop I could find to Mykonos from ANY other European city? Unless I searched incorrectly) but neither United’s GS desk or *A.com could do it without stopping in Athens first, equaling 2 stops. (The EWR/Athens nonstop flight in Polaris was full)

What OTHER airports in the world have decent hotels within the airport itself? Because, I for one don’t mind landing at 9pm to 12pm after a long flight, deplane/walk/sleep/walk/board the next morning. In fact when I have done that, I’m far more rested and acclimated to the time change and far less jet lag the next day.

Here are only a few I know of:
-The NEW TWA hotel at JFK. Amazing!
-I think IAH has one, or maybe I’m thinking DFW?
-Does Miami have an elevator up to a hotel, directly from one of the Terminals?
-I almost always go out of my way to stay at that Denver Westin!
-I know ORD has a Hilton??? I think the brand may have changed?
-EWR could use one on airport property!
(I’d gladly stay overnight at the Lufthansa First Class Lounge bedrooms if I could!)

I’m figuring Dubai, HKG, NRT, etc must have one. But don’t know for sure.

I want to make a list, so my ultimate question is: which airports around the world do have hotels inside the airport itself, no need for a shuttle, and of them which ones are nice? (I’m NOT talking about the hotels with shuttle bus service that are around/nearby almost every airport)

THANK YOU A ZILLION TIMES!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Max Q

Re: Airports with Hotels, smack in the middle of Terminals

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 am

Yes, IAH has a Marriott right inside the airport, as does TPA
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

SJCMSP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:09 pm

MCO (Hyatt), MSP (Intercontinental)

bfitzflyer

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:14 pm

TPE has one where you don't even have to go through customs or immigration. Pretty good if a long layover.

Gr8Circle

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Toronto Pearson (YYZ) Terminal 3 has a Sheraton hotel right alongside the terminal....one can walk across to the hotel in less than a minute after exiting the terminal.....I'm sure the upper floors of the hotel have a view of the apron that would feel as though you are inside the terminal....although it's separate from the terminal itself, it is very much within the airport premises....

lugie

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 pm

While not directly in the Terminal building, FRA has a Sheraton and a Hilton in airport buildings that are connected to Terminal 1 entirely by enclosed walkways, probably none more than a 10 minute walk from the check-in desks in Terminal 1.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 77W 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN AC
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW YYZ SJO PTY

johns624

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:28 pm

DTW has a Westin.

VC10er
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:35 pm

Thanks everyone! I have gone online to a few major world airports and the USA, and many do. The one at Dubai is interesting: the room styles change dramatically in decor, from regular contemporary, contemporary but with a “Moorish” touch, then 180 degrees to old European/classical. Some practical and some lavish!
I guess if you know in advance you can book the style and decor as well as small, business like, luxury.
At the Westin I love at Denver, if you get a room on the correct side, you can just sit there and watch every single take off. Too bad there is far less variety there than the majors!

VSMUT

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Singapore has 2 hotels in secure zone of the airport.

IAHFLYR

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:42 pm

MXP has a great Sheraton in Terminal 1.
MUC has a gorgeous wonderful Hilton between Terminals 1 and 2, it used to be a Kempinksi.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:22 pm

YUL has a Marriott in the terminal but ground side of security, as does YEG. BDL has a Sheraton. DFW has two Hyatts. OSL has one s short, two minute walk away, IIRC.

PI4EVR

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:35 pm

The Hilton hotel at LHR Terminal 4 is connected to the building by a "sky bridge" walkway.

PatrickZ80

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Eindhoven airport has the Tulip Inn hotel on top of the terminal building with it's entrance inside the terminal. Fantastic view over the platform from the hotel rooms.

hawaiian717

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:33 pm

PI4EVR wrote:
The Hilton hotel at LHR Terminal 4 is connected to the building by a "sky bridge" walkway.

The same sky bridge walkway also connects to a Premier Inn, Crowne Plaza, and Holiday Inn Express (the latter two appear to share the same building).

LHR Terminal 5 has a connected Sofitel.

Yflyer

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:04 pm

PI4EVR wrote:

LHR Terminal 4 also has the Yotel inside the terminal, where I will be staying during an overnight layover next month. As I understand it's more like a sleeping berth on a rail car than I full hotel room, but I would still count it as a hotel.

bluefrog

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:35 pm

doha has one ,if lucky open the curtain and you see the bear

alan3

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:36 pm

YVR's Fairmont Hotel is part of the airport, above the departure level with rooms overlooking the apron.

MUC's Hilton is not physically attached to the airport but is steps away from the departure level entrance.

YYC has two hotels at the airport that you can just walk to.

hawaiian717

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 pm

SFO's new Grand Hyatt opens on October 1 and will have its own AirTrain station.

OA260

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 pm

LGW has a few literally an integral part of the Terminal.

Yotel South Terminal
Bloc South Terminal

There are a few others within 5-10 mins walk so could be considered for the list if not inside the Terminal itself.

1ffb2002

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Yes, MIA has an elevator up to the hotel directly from the two levels of the terminal. There used to be a roof top pool, but I believe it closed years ago.

ghYHZ

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Halifax YHZ has an ALT Hotel connected by pedway. Good views from the higher floors.

IAHFLYR

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 pm

alan3 wrote:
MUC's Hilton is not physically attached to the airport but is steps away from the departure level entrance..

Yes, you are correct my mistake. But it was close enough for us. :D
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

conaly

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am

DEL has two airside Holiday Inn Express hotels in terminal 3, one in domestic concourse, and one in the international. Been staying once at the international hotel when my transfer time has been more than doubled due to some flight plan changes. Was quite okay, nothing special in either a good or a bad way.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HIJ, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, MUC, NUE, ZRH

ArchGuy1

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:16 am

Orlando has one right at the TSA checkpoint.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:35 am

KUL has the Sama-Sama Express hotel in the secure zone at both main terminal & the low cost terminal.

Outside the secure area, there's the Sama-Sama hotel proper within walking distance from the main terminal, a Tune Hotel (formerly owned by Tony Fernandes but since sold), right outside the low cost terminal, and within the low cost terminal an Aerotel & a Capsule hotel.

So anyone wanting a night's sleep in KUL is well catered for.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Coal

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:34 am

SIN:
- Two transit hotels airside
- Crowne Plaza hotel at Terminal 3
- Yotel Air at Jewel (at Terminal 1)

BKK:
- Novotel in front of main terminal building
- A bunch of capsule hotels in the basement next to Suvarnhabhumi station

CGK:
- Closest is an airport hotel about 5 mins from the 3 terminals. Used to be a Sheraton but is now something else

MNL:
- Marriott and Sheraton across the highway from Terminal 3
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

LBA1432

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 am

MAN has the Radisson Blu.

Ishrion

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:25 am

Shanghai PVG has one in between T1 and T2.

dstc47

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 am

BRU has a hotel just across the road from the Terminal.
DUB has two hotels within the airport complex, one was developed by the airport operator but both are a fair walk from the Terminals.

dstc47

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 am

The U.K. has a lot of offerings.
The former airport terminal at Liverpool Airport built in the 1930's has been converted to a hotel. Because the airport facilities have migrated somewhat it is a good distance from the present terminal. It also has some preserved aircraft on display. If I recall correctly, Birmingham, Southampton, Glasgow and Edinburgh have long had hotels very close to the terminal. Some of the hotels at LGW are perhaps quicker to walk to than to wait for transport.

spacecadet

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:37 am

HND has the Royal Park Hotel: https://www.the-royalpark.jp/the/tokyohaneda/en/

It is actually in one of the terminals. I stayed there once; it was perfect. You can walk out and be right at the check-in counter.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

VC10er
Topic Author

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Wow! This is totally awesome! Thank you everyone.

If I get around to it, I’m going to type up a list and carry it with me. I hate those shuttle busses when I’m a total zombie with bed head after a long flight, or the Uber/taxi ride for 45 minutes at 4am from downtown “where ever” to the airport. I’d rather go to the airport after client dinners and wake up at the airport.

Also, it seems like many of these are nicer hotels where you can order coffee etc at 4am and not have to fiddle with a $5 Mr Coffee machine- and then realize there are just decaf pouches! As much as I love traveling for business, especially international, there are painful parts that suck the life out of you.

I wish there was one at GVA. I often go to Lausanne and if I have a 7am flight, waking up and driving or train to GVA is awful. Even though the train goes under GVA and stops, I’d rather sleep above the Terminal.

If I do put that list together, I’ll see if I can post it here.

Thanks, R

WALmsp

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Sheraton Four Points Hotel at Huntsville HSV

In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

teva

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 pm

there is a Sheraton in CDG2 (between CDG2 C/D and CDG2 E/F, just above the High speed train station. It is the white oval building on the right of the picture
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

teva

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 pm

this question is very intersting, and I discovered there is an hotel airside in CDG2E
https://www.yotel.com/en/discover/yotelair-hotels

apparently, it is only cabins, with no window (but I may be wrong). And even if I work in CDG, I've never heard about it
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

hpff

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 am

MEL, SYD and BNE all have hotels on the airport property, but I don't believe any of them are directly connected to the terminals.

Loew

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am

Amsterdam:
Hotel Mercure located in the departure lounge of the AMS Schipol airport right after security, has both day and night rooms, stays above 24 hours are not permitted.

Helsinki:
Hote GLO is located inside the public area of the terminal building, both day and night rooms are available, rooms are windowless however.

N649DL

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Technically EWR does have an on property Marriott which located walking distance between all 3 terminals. It's from 1985, but it's fairly large and arguably was a centerpiece for a long time (still might be.)

I stayed at the MIA airport hotel in February 2000 coming back from the Bahamas. Back then it was an AvGeek's dream as it had a built in rooftop pool and direct runway views. I remember back then there were still Classic 747s in service and they were LOUD as hell from the roof. Amazing time to be up there during sunset as well. The elevators let you out from your floor right into the busy check-in areas too. I recall we flew United back then (which still had a Focus City at MIA back then) and barely made the plane because it was so early. And only then it was probably because the UAL check-in areas were next to the hotel elevator area LOL.

Denver (DIA) has a gigantic Westin that opened up back when I was living there in 2016-2017. It's ungodly expensive for obvious reasons (when the weather dumps at DEN you don't need to leave the airport but it will cost you.

I stayed at the Orlando Hyatt Hotel in 2014 when my MCO-LAX flight went mechanical on Delta. I was extremely ticked off they booked me there and the hotel pool and hot tub (also on roof, IIRC) were under maintenance and closed. I had a choice between other hotels as well and there was very little to do outside of normal hours. They don't want you wondering around for obvious reasons.

clickhappy

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:08 pm

HND has a hotel at the International terminal.

CTS has a hotel in the terminal, between Domestic and International.

Coal

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:47 am

CAN has a Pullman 2 mins walking distance from the main terminal area.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

Aeth

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:40 pm

There's a nice Radisson Blu at ARN, between terminals 4 & 5. And there are also the Clarion and the Jumbo Stay at the airport, although I'm not sure they technically count.

zrs70

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:05 pm

I'm seeing four different answers here:

1) Hotels that are encompassed into the airport terminal (DTW - Westin)
2) Hotels that are connected to the terminal via an enclosed/ semi enclosed walkway (BOS-Hilton)
3) Hotels that are right outside the terminal/ across the street (VIE - NH Hotel)
4) Hotels that are down the street, but still within walking distance (others)
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

Insertnamehere

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:32 pm

hpff wrote:
MEL, SYD and BNE all have hotels on the airport property, but I don't believe any of them are directly connected to the terminals.

They have walkways to all the terminals at MEL and is placed above the parking garage. It's a decent hotel. Nothing special.

Gulfstream500

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:46 pm

There’s a motel in ATL concourse B... it’s called minute suites, and I’d say that there are probably ten rooms at most.
Thinking of a good signature is hard...

KUZAWU08

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:00 pm

HSV and MCO are neat examples I've seen... Honestly I though HSV is just a cool airport to visit with a modern terminal, glass jetways, and scenic flying. The hotel is pretty cool because it's become part of the terminal... there are ramp view rooms to where it looks like you're in a departure lounge. As you walk through the airport you feel like you're in part of the hotel lobby. TYS is interesting as well... with a walkway directly to the hotel and rooms that are good for ramp spectators. A couple New England airports come to mind, but I think it was PVD that had nice hotels attached. Another honorable mention from my travels would be GSO, if I recall with an airport from the terminal. The hotel is positioned between the runways and some rooms have a runway view.

VC10er
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:24 pm

zrs70 wrote:
I'm seeing four different answers here:

1) Hotels that are encompassed into the airport terminal (DTW - Westin)
2) Hotels that are connected to the terminal via an enclosed/ semi enclosed walkway (BOS-Hilton)
3) Hotels that are right outside the terminal/ across the street (VIE - NH Hotel)
4) Hotels that are down the street, but still within walking distance (others)

Hi!
Actually all 4 of your observations are still within the general zone of what I’ve been looking for.

Land>deplane>pick up bags>walk to hotel (SLEEP) walk to check-in>on wards!

Too many times I have had a late landing, after all connections have gone, and then I’m on a very early flight the next morning. If I must wait for a shuttle, drive 10/15+ minutes to my hotel and again in the morning, I’m already suffering jet lag, waking up very early sucks to only wait for the shuttle.

Take the Westin for example at DENVER, easy walk. Even the new TWA Hotel at JFK is as convenient as it is FKG COOL!

My friend reported that the Hilton Garden Inn at LHR was perfect. He flew the morning United flight to LHR, landed at 9:40PM, in bed by 10:30PM, to get the single nonstop BA flight to Mykonos at 6:50AM. Between napping on United in Polaris, then 6 hours of sleep at LHR, he arrived fresh as a daisy in Mykonos. No shuttles, not standing at reception with a huge airline crew in front of him.

Sure, no walking and taking an elevator from bag claim would be great.

But by experience: only 10 years ago, stay just outside the airport grounds, the hotels were always dumps. True, I just needed a bed and bathroom, couldn’t care less about decor...but within the past 10 years a phenomenon has happened and airport hotels on property are getting REALLY nice vs “the basics”

I NEED ONE AT GVA & GRU!

KBUF

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:14 am

While neither are connected to their respective airport's terminal, ROC (Fairfield Marriott) and SYR (SureStay by Best Western) both have hotels on the property.
"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."-Terry Pegula, February 22, 2011

DTWLAX

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:36 pm

DTW - Westin in the McNamara Terminal
CDG - Sheraton Terminal 2
MCO - Hyatt

CairnterriAIR

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:05 pm

BDL- Sheraton

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:35 am

KBGR-used to have a Hilton, same hotel different brand now.