Virtual737
Topic Author

Manchester Airport - Should This Have Happened?

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:14 am

I recently connected through Manchester airport from an internal flight (FlyBe into terminal 3) onto an international flight (Qatar terminal 2).

Now, the Manchester airport website at: https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/hel ... transfers/ states that "Transferring from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 or 3 should take no more than 5 to 15 minutes, with moving walkways throughout the terminal buildings.". So, arriving off the FlyBe flight, I found and followed the signs for connections. In all it was a pretty long walk. Not a single moving walkway and several sets of steps (there might have been 1 escalator... but certainly several sets of steps which is fine by me because I need the exercise).

After going through a security "check" (a brief look at my boarding pass) at each end of this walk, I found myself in a waiting room and needed to call for a bus (what happened to the moving walkways throughout the terminal buildings?) and after a 10 minute wait (no toilet in this waiting room or anywhere near), the bus arrived. I was the only passenger waiting. The bus drove airside (literally across the aprons, fantastic for spotting) and at the other end the driver got out and used his plastic pass to open a door to terminal 2. He said... there you go, you're right by the departure gates.

At this point I told him that I'd not been through any immigration check, let alone any security scanning. He said "lucky you". Up another flight of steps (there was a lift this time) and as he pointed out, I was right at the departure gates airside. This magic door that led me to terminal 2 was very close to the smoking area, which was great for me.

Forgetting the lounge (the toilets which are shared between 2 lounges had clearly not been cleaned for hours) and I boarded my flight.

Not one passport check and zero scan of my carry on. Ok it had been scanned at the beginning of the internal flight, but should I be able to connect straight from an internal flight onto an international flight with zero immigration and zero screening?

smbukas

Re: Manchester Airport - Should This Have Happened

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

Everything is fine.

EU has the single-point-of-security concept, so if you passed security once in EU airport, you are ok to enter airside in other EU airports directly. That works intra-UK too.

UK has no immigration control for departing flights. If you arrive at the airport in the UK to depart for an international flight, there is no passport control: immigration is for international arrivals only.

shamrock137

Re: Manchester Airport - Should This Have Happened?

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:29 am

Sounds correct, you didn't exit the secure area, therefore you had no opportunity to interact with other passengers who weren't screened. Also it was a domestic arrival, so you wouldn't go through immigration, the UK doesn't have exit checks for international departures.
Time to spare? Go by air!

Virtual737
Topic Author

Re: Manchester Airport - Should This Have Happened?

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 am

Aha no immigration for departures. Thank you.