1337Delta764
Topic Author

Airport concessions being moved airside

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 am

I recently was in the newly remodeled T3 at PHX waiting for my father from his DL flight from JFK, and I noticed how hugely different it was the last time I had a flight from there. However, one major difference I noticed is that most of the concessions have been moved airside. I wonder, is this a global trend? While it makes sense in a post 9/11 world, I would at least like there to be some landside concessions even if it is just a few vending machines. In the waiting area of the newly remodeled T3 there was nothing; the nearest vending machine was over at the baggage claim. I haven't been the new security checkpoint in T3 yet; I wonder if there are any concessions on that side.

So, is it a global trend to move airport concessions airside?
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

phxa340

Re: Airport concessions being moved airside

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:49 am

If you head on over to T4 there are a ton of pre-security concessions including Chelsea’s Kitchen. I always did wonder your same question but have always found pre security restaurants to be pretty busy.

hz747300

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:47 am

phxa340 wrote:
If you head on over to T4 there are a ton of pre-security concessions including Chelsea’s Kitchen. I always did wonder your same question but have always found pre security restaurants to be pretty busy.

Yes, lots at T4, but I don't recall T3, it's been a while. Isn't there at least a coffee shop in baggage claim?
Keep on truckin'...

BDL2DCA

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:49 am

There's not a lot of reasons for landside concessions these days, since people know far in advance if the flight they are meeting isn't going to arrive on time. But I think PHX T3 is more about building a consolidated checkpoint for North (F) and South (E) concourses. That and South had very little retail space and not enough seats for larger (737-800/321/757s) that are a staple of domestic flying these days. I'm not sure if the South renovation will expand the lounges, but it's a HELL of a lot easier to find seats in F now that it's renovated.
146,319,320,321,332,333,343,346,359,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,744,752,753,762,763,772,788,789,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,E75,E90,F100,S80

Ziyulu

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:08 am

If I were airport designers, I would design the restaurant where both airside and landside customers can access. Like putting the restaurant on the border and have two counters serving.

flyer1225

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:15 am

Ziyulu wrote:
If I were airport designers, I would design the restaurant where both airside and landside customers can access. Like putting the restaurant on the border and have two counters serving.

There would have to be some security measures in place, especially in a joint kitchen, to ensure that things/people are not smuggled through, or someone impersonating a staff member is unable to sneak through.
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

Ziyulu

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:42 am

flyer1225 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

There would have to be some security measures in place, especially in a joint kitchen, to ensure that things/people are not smuggled through, or someone impersonating a staff member is unable to sneak through.

No different than a restaurant employee currently smuggling someone through.

MO11

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:51 am

Peet's Coffee between doors 5 and 7 on the baggage claim level.

jetblueguy22

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:35 am

I know I wouldn’t go to a restaurant outside of security. Get me through the mayhem and then I’ll sit down and enjoy a drink or two.

Actually thought about this the other day in SDF. A few nice spots I’d try, but being prior to security is a no go for me.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

jetblueguy22

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:36 am

Ziyulu wrote:
flyer1225 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

No different than a restaurant employee currently smuggling someone through.

Except they have to go through the checkpoint. In the US at least, this is not going to happen.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

phatfarmlines

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:34 am

That's how it is at the ATL international terminal. Only a Subway on the departures level.

The Domestic Terminal still has plenty of options at the atrium pre-security.

LTU932

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:45 am

In HAM, you got a McDonalds and a few other small restaurants in the landside area (including a supermarket in the landside arrivals area aka Airport Plaza), while they don't have an airside food court. SJO has all its concessions airside, same with PTY T1 IIRC.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

OKCDCA

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:50 am

When I lived in DC, always enjoyed going over to DCA for lunch and enjoying all the pre-security options and get in some plane spotting. However I think all that will become post-security when the renovations are done.

This day in age, I can understand not having many pre-security options though if a terminal is built new or remodeled. Outside of aviation enthusiasts, hanging out at an airport is unfortunately considered “suspicious activity” these days...

tys777

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:55 am

Ziyulu wrote:

I've seen this at some smaller airports such as DLH. I know in that case you order via a phone when landside, and they bring your order to the window for you when ready.

GSOtoIND

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:18 am

OKCDCA wrote:
When I lived in DC, always enjoyed going over to DCA for lunch and enjoying all the pre-security options and get in some plane spotting. However I think all that will become post-security when the renovations are done.

This day in age, I can understand not having many pre-security options though if a terminal is built new or remodeled. Outside of aviation enthusiasts, hanging out at an airport is unfortunately considered “suspicious activity” these days...

Civic Plaza at IND is usually pretty busy. There are plenty of restaurants and shops landside, and the IAA will bring in musicians to play on occasion to create a more lively ambiance. TSA at most airports really isn't that bad anymore, so landside amenities can cater to both passengers and those dropping off/picking up. Airports make money by convincing people to buy things while they're on property (I know that's an oversimplification of things, but I'm sure the point is clear.)
IND. 2018: BOS/AUA/MIA/DEN Next: LAS/SLC/DEN

Phosphorus

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am

Ziyulu wrote:

in pre-9/11 world, and before Switzerland joined Schengen area, EuroAirport Basel/Mulhouse/Freiburg, I tend to remember, had at least one border cafe. The same kitchen would serve Swiss side and EU side. Funnily, the EU and Swiss side counters actually merged at a corner, separated by safety glass. You could probably climb on top of EU counter and shake a hand of somebody doing same on the Swiss side, but obviously that wasn't the intention of the designers.
Funnier yet, the EU side had menu priced in Euro's (French Franks and German Marks were accepted, this was before cash Euro) and Swiss side -- in Swiss Franc. But obviously, waiters would accept whatever hard currency you had on hand.
But it was all airside; they had no curbside counter. Probably even then, a security arrangement to have such a combo (two airside counters, and a landside one) would be too troublesome.

In post 9/11 world, I gather it would be even less obvious, to run an outlet with landside and airside counters, from security point of view.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

CairnterriAIR

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:20 pm

On a business level, most people on the land side are concentrating on getting checked in and going through security, not shopping or eating. People dropping off and picking up family members at the airport will do so nowadays outside in the pick up and drop off area. So not much business for concessions to make other than a few cups of coffee and newspapers. In some airports where there are hotels incorporated, you may see some landside businesses. BDL a good example with a restaurant and shop to cater to the guests.

Yflyer

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:25 pm

tys777 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

I've seen this at some smaller airports such as DLH. I know in that case you order via a phone when landside, and they bring your order to the window for you when ready.

LSE is set up like this as well. The restaurant is physically located airside, but customers can order food from the gift shop landside. I believe the restaurant sends the order downstairs via a dumbwaiter and an employee delivers it to the customer in the gift shop.

The restaurant was effectively relocated airside after they remodeled the terminal. Before the remodel it was upstairs but landside, and the only concessions airside were a couple of vending machines. The remodel moved all the gates upstairs and turned the whole upstairs part of the terminal into one big concourse, and while it stayed in the same physical location the restaurant became airside as a result.

lugie

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:42 pm

FRA has a bunch of landside concessions, several McDonalds restaurants for instance as well as various smaller press stores, coffee shops and a small supermarket in the long-distance train station.
Its airside offerings can be pretty disappointing depending on where you fly from actually, especially for an airport its size.
Terminal 1C and the lower (Schengen) departures level in Terminal 2 (D/E) are quite deserted in terms of food offerings.

Concourses A and B feature better options, as does the upper (non-Schengen) departure level in T2.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW SJO PTY

smallmj

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:02 pm

Landside concessions are nice when dropping off teens or nervous flyers. Then one can spend some extra time with them before sending them through security. We did this last May with our daughter at YHZ.

Though I'll admit that situations like that are likely a small and decreasing minority.

MartijnNL

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:48 pm

OKCDCA wrote:

When my wife and I were on holiday in Washington, we once went for dinner to DCA. Nice food and great views of aircraft. I remember a US Airways Express Embraer 170 parked just a couple of feet from the window.

What renovations are being done at DCA? Will the security checkpoints remain at the entrance of each pier? It is (was?) such a great airport for landside spotting, probably one of the best in the United States.

OKCDCA wrote:

I still cannot understand it. Why would hanging out at an airport be suspicious? There is no relation between looking at aircraft and terrorism.

Have you ever been at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol? Every day thousands of people who are not flying, hang out at the airport. There are dozens of shops, bars, restaurants and even a few supermarkets landside. People visit the airport to shop, eat and drink. The stores are also very convenient for people who change trains at the airport’s railway station. Every day hundreds of trains from every part of the country stop at the airport.

AirKevin

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:06 pm

smallmj wrote:
Landside concessions are nice when dropping off teens or nervous flyers. Then one can spend some extra time with them before sending them through security. We did this last May with our daughter at YHZ.

Though I'll admit that situations like that are likely a small and decreasing minority.

Also helpful if you arrive and you're stuck at the airport for an extended period of time. This happened with me twice. The first time, my flight arrived at EWR so early that my dad hadn't even left the house, and I had to wait 45 minutes for him to show up. The second time, I arrived at EWR, and my cousin was also visiting with her flight arriving a few hours after my flight did. My mom was not going to be making two trips to the airport, so I had to wait for my cousin's flight to get in before my mom would pick us both up.
Captain Kevin

OKCDCA

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 am

MartijnNL wrote:
What renovations are being done at DCA? Will the security checkpoints remain at the entrance of each pier? It is (was?) such a great airport for landside spotting, probably one of the best in the United States.

DCA is building a new concourse for American Eagle flights replacing the current Gate 35X and building two new security checkpoints which will connect all the current concourses. By doing this, they will eliminate access to the current area with the shops and restaurants. You should still be able to hang out on the current ticket counter level and do some spotting but not the departures level.

Here's a link to the project: https://www.flyreagan.com/dca/project-journey

MartijnNL wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:

I still cannot understand it. Why would hanging out at an airport be suspicious? There is no relation between looking at aircraft and terrorism.

Have you ever been at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol? Every day thousands of people who are not flying, hang out at the airport. There are dozens of shops, bars, restaurants and even a few supermarkets landside. People visit the airport to shop, eat and drink. The stores are also very convenient for people who change trains at the airport’s railway station. Every day hundreds of trains from every part of the country stop at the airport.

Have not been to Schiphol but hope to someday. Unfortunately in the US, liking planes at an airport raises suspicions. Been confronted by TSA and police numerous times for taking pics of aircraft in the terminal. Most the time saying "I'm a plane geek" is the end of it but some folks like to probe further...

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am

In KUL there's plenty of concessions landside. In fact in the low cost carrier terminal, you literally have a shopping mall with a grocery store & several high street brands before you even get to the check-in desk. I remember having to drive all the way to the airport from my workplace just to pick up a phone at my telco store because all the other stores closer to home ran out of stock!

As for other, smaller airports in Malaysia, the concessions are ALL landside.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

ikramerica

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

I remember manchester MHT had something like that when I visited in the early 2000s but it looks like they have reconfigured things.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.