TWA85
Topic Author

Questions about Code Sharing?

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:18 am

Hello Everybody,

I have a couple of questions about code sharing.

1. Can the selling carrier sell tickets on the operating carriers flights without the passenger originating or terminating their itinerary in the selling carriers home country? For example, could AA sell a ticket to a passenger flying on a BA flight from LHR to MXP? An example scenario of why someone would do this would be, an AA frequent flyer flies to London, stays there for a few days which ends their itinerary, then flies to Milan for a few more days on a new itinerary before returning home. The benefit for the passenger is the ability to accrue or redeem frequent flyer miles on the BA LHR-MXP flight. The benefit for BA would be receiving a passenger referred to them by AA. The benefit to AA would be a portion of the revenue for referring the passenger to BA.

2. Can the selling carrier sell tickets on the operating carriers fifth freedom flights to/from the selling carriers home country. For example, can UA sell tickets on NZ's LAX-LHR flights, or can QF sell tickets on EK's SYD-AKL flights.

Thank you for your answers!

Gemuser

Re: Questions about Code Sharing?

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:23 am

It depends on the code share agreement & the various traffic rights. QF can/could sell tickets on EKs SYD-AKL flights, I've brought one and flown on it!

Gemuser

upperdeckfan

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 am

An AA FF gets the miles/points on any OW operated flight regardless of the code he books.

Normally you can book a flight on all the codes it has, suggest to try a booking engine for yourself and confirm.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

vhtje

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 am

Well... using the example above - BA 572 LHR to MXP is carries the AA codeshare AA6583. If you go to AA.com and search for a flight LHR to MXP using carrier AA, nothing comes up - the standalone AA code flight is not bookable:

However, if you change your search to ORD to MXP, AA6583 is offered as a connection:

I guess it depends upon what rights the carrier has between the markets. I assume there is some rule that prevents AA from selling intra-Europe tickets unless it is an add-on to a TATL flight.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:03 am

vhtje wrote:
Well... using the example above - BA 572 LHR to MXP is carries the AA codeshare AA6583. If you go to AA.com and search for a flight LHR to MXP using carrier AA, nothing comes up - the standalone AA code flight is not bookable:

However, if you change your search to ORD to MXP, AA6583 is offered as a connection:

I guess it depends upon what rights the carrier has between the markets. I assume there is some rule that prevents AA from selling intra-Europe tickets unless it is an add-on to a TATL flight.

I think most airlines would only book you on a codeshare flight provided you fly at least partway on their own metal. For example, I can't book AA's MH codeshare from LHR to KUL even though it's the shortest flight, but I can fly via ORD/DFW and then to NRT/HKG before arriving in KUL.

MH meanwhile would just not allow you to even try to book a flight that doesn't include MH's own.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Coal

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:41 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I think most airlines would only book you on a codeshare flight provided you fly at least partway on their own metal.

Not true. I have flown SQ but bought the ticket through GA on a GA code. SIN-DPS-SIN. Was about half price of what SQ was asking for.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

cofannyc

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:31 pm

It is also going to be specific to the combination of carriers involved and the options the marketing carrier has (plus the rules for the fare you are pricing).

For example, B6 allows a standalone booking on the EK BOS-DXB flight using the B6 code. This makes sense because B6 doesn't cross the Atlantic as of now so there's no B6 metal option that they would rather route you on.

However you cannot buy a B6 coded flight from SJU-STT as a standalone if the flight is operated by Seabourne. This makes sense because B6 operates two daily SJU-STT flights and so they directly compete with Seabourne here. The B6 code on the Seabourne flight is to provide options for connections that might not connect well to the B6 flight or B6 wants to keep the capacity on SJU-STT for local traffic.

I mentioned fare rules because there is a difference between the marketing carrier suppressing the routing on its own channels and the fares rules prohibiting the routing. In the former case, an OTA or travel agent could book the routing because it is allowed and the marketing carrier just chose not to sell it. In the latter case, no one can sell the routing because it isn't permitted.

cofannyc

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:38 pm

vhtje wrote:

In this case, AA doesn't file LON-MIL fares (or any intra-Europe fares) and BA has no motivation to allow the AA code to be booked on a BA fare.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:52 pm

Coal wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I think most airlines would only book you on a codeshare flight provided you fly at least partway on their own metal.

Not true. I have flown SQ but bought the ticket through GA on a GA code. SIN-DPS-SIN. Was about half price of what SQ was asking for.

But that’s a flight which terminates at the marketing carrier’s home country.

The OP was wondering if you can book a codeshare that doesn’t originate or terminate at the marketing carrier’s home country.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Coal

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:32 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Coal wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

But that’s a flight which terminates at the marketing carrier’s home country.

The OP was wondering if you can book a codeshare that doesn’t originate or terminate at the marketing carrier’s home country.

Ah right. OK, my bad :-)
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

RJNUT

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:59 am

cofannyc wrote:
vhtje wrote:

In this case, AA doesn't file LON-MIL fares (or any intra-Europe fares) and BA has no motivation to allow the AA code to be booked on a BA fare.

Speaking as a former travel agent I could "force sell" that AA flight number LON-MIL and it more than likely would have priced into the entire AA transatlantic fare rather than as a stand alone component, so yes to OP one could sell codeshare outside home country of flight origin/termination