FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Good day,

My wife and I will be going to South Africa for about 10 days in February. Most of the time will be spent in/around Cape Town, with another two days out on a safari/reserve.

Now, we aren't ones to ever purchase any type of insurance when we travel internationally. If we are in Europe or Asia or what have you, and we needed to get home right away, splurging on a plane ticket home will not kill us.

With that said, I am interested in purchasing International Health Insurance (our domestic health insurance wouldn't suffice) for our travel to South Africa. If God forbid, one of us got ill and so forth, I want to be able to be treated (and evacuated if necessary) without having to worry about exorbitant out of pocket expenses. I'm just being very cautious on this trip given how remote we'll be for a couple of days.

So, who would you recommend for Health Insurance while we are abroad in South Africa for the approximate 10 days we will physically be in South Africa? I'm looking for a company that would be the most response and easiest to deal with. We are located in the USA.

Thank you for your feedback.
Whatever
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:54 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
So, who would you recommend for Health Insurance while we are abroad in South Africa for the approximate 10 days we will physically be in South Africa? I'm looking for a company that would be the most response and easiest to deal with. We are located in the USA.


Assuming you've paid partially or totally the trip with a credit card, are some of these (even basic) insurances not already included?
In France the Visa Classic offers limited insurances for the entire family (wife/husband+ kids below 18yo) for a travelling period of up to 90 days.
- Medical expenses up to €12000/year
- Medical repatriation
- Legal advice H24

That's not a lot but better than nothing. How does it work in the US?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:27 pm

eastafspot wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
So, who would you recommend for Health Insurance while we are abroad in South Africa for the approximate 10 days we will physically be in South Africa? I'm looking for a company that would be the most response and easiest to deal with. We are located in the USA.


Assuming you've paid partially or totally the trip with a credit card, are some of these (even basic) insurances not already included?
In France the Visa Classic offers limited insurances for the entire family (wife/husband+ kids below 18yo) for a travelling period of up to 90 days.
- Medical expenses up to €12000/year
- Medical repatriation
- Legal advice H24

That's not a lot but better than nothing. How does it work in the US?



Good questions. Well, the credit card I've used for part of the trip has been cancelled, so I wouldn't be covered by that insurance anymore. Furthermore, I've booked this trips in bits and pieces (Safari Reserve, Used Miles for Flights on two separate alliances, etc). So yes, most cards have some insurance, but I want comprehensive medical insurance in case someone winds up in the hospital or needs to be airlifted somewhere. Very remote possibility, but I want to be fully covered, not just count on credit card coverage.

Thanks!
Whatever
 
Chemist
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:46 am

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 pm

In the US, go to insuremytrip.com and check coverages. They compare many insurance providers.
I've used TravelGuard, Allianz, and a couple of others before. But have not had a claim, yet.
 
FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:59 pm

Chemist wrote:
In the US, go to insuremytrip.com and check coverages. They compare many insurance providers.
I've used TravelGuard, Allianz, and a couple of others before. But have not had a claim, yet.


Thank you, sir. I will do that.
Whatever
 
teachpdx
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:51 am

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:39 am

I second insuremytrip. Used them multiple times on travel abroad to Europe, Oceania, and Asia. The rates are affordable and it’s very easy to see what is and is not included. It’s so nice to get one price for a 2 month trip with 26 flights, three rental cars, and serious off-the-grid adventures.
Up Next: DI SEA-LGW | AF CDG-PRG | OK PRG-CPH | D8 CPH-LGW | DI LGW-SEA
 
FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm

teachpdx wrote:
I second insuremytrip. Used them multiple times on travel abroad to Europe, Oceania, and Asia. The rates are affordable and it’s very easy to see what is and is not included. It’s so nice to get one price for a 2 month trip with 26 flights, three rental cars, and serious off-the-grid adventures.


Superb. Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.
Whatever
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2401
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:31 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Good day,

My wife and I will be going to South Africa for about 10 days in February. Most of the time will be spent in/around Cape Town, with another two days out on a safari/reserve.

Now, we aren't ones to ever purchase any type of insurance when we travel internationally. If we are in Europe or Asia or what have you, and we needed to get home right away, splurging on a plane ticket home will not kill us.

With that said, I am interested in purchasing International Health Insurance (our domestic health insurance wouldn't suffice) for our travel to South Africa. If God forbid, one of us got ill and so forth, I want to be able to be treated (and evacuated if necessary) without having to worry about exorbitant out of pocket expenses. I'm just being very cautious on this trip given how remote we'll be for a couple of days.

So, who would you recommend for Health Insurance while we are abroad in South Africa for the approximate 10 days we will physically be in South Africa? I'm looking for a company that would be the most response and easiest to deal with. We are located in the USA.

Thank you for your feedback.


Travel insurance isn't that expensive. I typically get $1million insurance for my wife for about $130 when she visits friends and family. It's not just the cost of a return trip you should be worried about. What if you need need a special medical evacuation flight to return to the US? That could be over $60,000.
 
FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:58 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Good day,

My wife and I will be going to South Africa for about 10 days in February. Most of the time will be spent in/around Cape Town, with another two days out on a safari/reserve.

Now, we aren't ones to ever purchase any type of insurance when we travel internationally. If we are in Europe or Asia or what have you, and we needed to get home right away, splurging on a plane ticket home will not kill us.

With that said, I am interested in purchasing International Health Insurance (our domestic health insurance wouldn't suffice) for our travel to South Africa. If God forbid, one of us got ill and so forth, I want to be able to be treated (and evacuated if necessary) without having to worry about exorbitant out of pocket expenses. I'm just being very cautious on this trip given how remote we'll be for a couple of days.

So, who would you recommend for Health Insurance while we are abroad in South Africa for the approximate 10 days we will physically be in South Africa? I'm looking for a company that would be the most response and easiest to deal with. We are located in the USA.

Thank you for your feedback.


Travel insurance isn't that expensive. I typically get $1million insurance for my wife for about $130 when she visits friends and family. It's not just the cost of a return trip you should be worried about. What if you need need a special medical evacuation flight to return to the US? That could be over $60,000.



I don’t think you read my post very thoroughly :D
Whatever
 
debonair
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 am

Chemist wrote:
In the US, go to insuremytrip.com and check coverages. They compare many insurance providers.
I've used TravelGuard, Allianz, and a couple of others before. But have not had a claim, yet.


I have no idea about the US market, however I can't recommend Allianz and their affiliates. With the Allianz Group, although in Germany, I had in the past quite a lot of trouble. After a small claim, they cancelled all future contracts. Not the best in customer service.

I have a yearly travel insurance, much cheaper than for just one trip. But I don't know if this is available in the US...
 
FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:58 pm

debonair wrote:
Chemist wrote:
In the US, go to insuremytrip.com and check coverages. They compare many insurance providers.
I've used TravelGuard, Allianz, and a couple of others before. But have not had a claim, yet.


I have no idea about the US market, however I can't recommend Allianz and their affiliates. With the Allianz Group, although in Germany, I had in the past quite a lot of trouble. After a small claim, they cancelled all future contracts. Not the best in customer service.

I have a yearly travel insurance, much cheaper than for just one trip. But I don't know if this is available in the US...



Thank you, sir. I will look into an annual policy as well since we typically travel internationally 2-3 times per year. I will keep Allianz in the back of my mind - hopefully they won't come up the most cost effective! :lol:
Whatever
 
ConnectAir
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:20 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:38 pm

If you're from the US, AAA offers some pretty reliable comprehensive travel insurance that does include medical coverage. If you're a member, you might also want to check them out.
WN, LX, AZ, BA, LH, KL, DL, OK, S5, US, UA, VY, IB, AF, LY, F9, CO, YX x2, PD, AC, AA, OO, PT, QK

A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, B712, B733, B737, B738, B753, B744, B764, B772, B789, CRJ9, DH8D, E145, E190
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:01 pm

debonair wrote:
However, I can't recommend Allianz and their affiliates. With the Allianz Group, although in Germany, I had in the past quite a lot of trouble. After a small claim, they cancelled all future contracts. Not the best in customer service.

I can only concur with what you said - Thanks! You did well to mention them since, a good friend of mine has still her claim, for the last 4 months, pending! :thumbsdown:

Also, Air France has just teamed up with Allianz Travel recently. For a 2h delay, insurance that refunds immediately €50 without asking (along with other little gimmicks)..... Just a question, since French Railways are doing similar, is it the same in Germany, for LH, EW or DB?
Are some surcharges worth the extra spend?

Like you, my Amex AF Platinum covers pretty much all the travel needs (Except, when you really need them in Burundi or South Sudan though :roll: ).


To FriscoHeavy

If you travel at least twice a year or more, it might be a good option to renew ( or upgrade) your credit credit card. Of course, it depends on many factors.

Enjoy South Africa, :smile:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 13920
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Depends I guess on how much you really like your wife ;)
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
jetwet1
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:57 pm

My company insurance covers me on work trips, however, I do have a supplemental through Blue Cross/ Blue Shield to cover personal trips and just the peace of mind should anything go pear shape, I pay $200 a year, it gives me $1m coverage with a zero deductible.
 
FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:44 am

jetwet1 wrote:
My company insurance covers me on work trips, however, I do have a supplemental through Blue Cross/ Blue Shield to cover personal trips and just the peace of mind should anything go pear shape, I pay $200 a year, it gives me $1m coverage with a zero deductible.


What company is that with?

Do you have the name of the policy/product?
Whatever
 
waheedakhtar
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:29 am

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:35 am

I don't know much about it but you can read more on by googling. What I found online https://driveegermany.com/germany-medical-treatment-visa-requirements-application-guidelines/
 
jetwet1
Posts: 2894
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:38 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
My company insurance covers me on work trips, however, I do have a supplemental through Blue Cross/ Blue Shield to cover personal trips and just the peace of mind should anything go pear shape, I pay $200 a year, it gives me $1m coverage with a zero deductible.


What company is that with?

Do you have the name of the policy/product?


https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/ ... erview.cfm
 
debonair
Posts: 3497
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:15 am

eastafspot wrote:
Also, Air France has just teamed up with Allianz Travel recently. For a 2h delay, insurance that refunds immediately €50 without asking (along with other little gimmicks)..... Just a question, since French Railways are doing similar, is it the same in Germany, for LH, EW or DB?
Are some surcharges worth the extra spend?


Never heard of this before... I have a several medical insurance for my travels, as I pay annually(!!) only 10USD for the worldwide coverage. I had last time a medical bill of around 7000USD for an emergency in the US - and this low-cost insurance paid without any hassle and questions the full amount! In the future, I will stay away from Allianz for sure.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2865
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 am

Maybe this is a cultural difference but is it not just the standard to go and check on a comparison website and check cost vs coverage vs reviews for what you require and then cough up? Maybe its like mailing cheques to pay for mortgage.

Fred
Image
 
melpax
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:42 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Good day,

Now, we aren't ones to ever purchase any type of insurance when we travel internationally. If we are in Europe or Asia or what have you, and we needed to get home right away, splurging on a plane ticket home will not kill us.


Interesting the differences between Americans & Australians when we travel overseas. Most Australians would not dream of travelling overseas without insurance, especially to the US with it's astronomical medical costs.

Also bear in mind that you may not always be able to 'jump on a plane home' if sick or injured.

A former boss broke her back while riding a quad bike on a friend's farm while on holiday in the US. She was helicoptered to hospital & spend time in ICU after surgery & had to spend an extended period in the US recovering before she could fly home. Total bill in the end was around $150K, which her travel insurer picked up.

It's no suprise that most insurers here now exclude activities such as riding motor bikes of any sort on their standard policies.......
Essendon - Whatever it takes......
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2865
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm

melpax wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Good day,

Now, we aren't ones to ever purchase any type of insurance when we travel internationally. If we are in Europe or Asia or what have you, and we needed to get home right away, splurging on a plane ticket home will not kill us.


Interesting the differences between Americans & Australians when we travel overseas. Most Australians would not dream of travelling overseas without insurance, especially to the US with it's astronomical medical costs.

Also bear in mind that you may not always be able to 'jump on a plane home' if sick or injured.

A former boss broke her back while riding a quad bike on a friend's farm while on holiday in the US. She was helicoptered to hospital & spend time in ICU after surgery & had to spend an extended period in the US recovering before she could fly home. Total bill in the end was around $150K, which her travel insurer picked up.

It's no suprise that most insurers here now exclude activities such as riding motor bikes of any sort on their standard policies.......
Agreed, I could probably afford to spend the money on a last minute flight home on a credit card, what I can't afford is to charter my own private jet with on board nurse when I can't go commercial.

Fred
Image
 
FriscoHeavy
Topic Author
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:38 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Maybe this is a cultural difference but is it not just the standard to go and check on a comparison website and check cost vs coverage vs reviews for what you require and then cough up? Maybe its like mailing cheques to pay for mortgage.

Fred



Not sure I quite follow the point you are trying to make, but I appreciate your post nonetheless.

I could search (and have) online, but given this is a 'travel' website and I believe folks here would have some very good suggestions, I thought I'd query here to get some opinions before making a final determination. So far, I've been proven correct, as there have been multiple very wise ideas and suggestions for which to base my search.

Cheers
Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TheEuphorian, xijiayu and 34 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos