Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Good day,

My wife and I will be going to South Africa for about 10 days in February. Most of the time will be spent in/around Cape Town, with another two days out on a safari/reserve.

Now, we aren't ones to ever purchase any type of insurance when we travel internationally. If we are in Europe or Asia or what have you, and we needed to get home right away, splurging on a plane ticket home will not kill us.

With that said, I am interested in purchasing International Health Insurance (our domestic health insurance wouldn't suffice) for our travel to South Africa. If God forbid, one of us got ill and so forth, I want to be able to be treated (and evacuated if necessary) without having to worry about exorbitant out of pocket expenses. I'm just being very cautious on this trip given how remote we'll be for a couple of days.

So, who would you recommend for Health Insurance while we are abroad in South Africa for the approximate 10 days we will physically be in South Africa? I'm looking for a company that would be the most response and easiest to deal with. We are located in the USA.

Thank you for your feedback.

eastafspot

Re: International Medical/Travel Insurance Advice Needed

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:54 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
So, who would you recommend for Health Insurance while we are abroad in South Africa for the approximate 10 days we will physically be in South Africa? I'm looking for a company that would be the most response and easiest to deal with. We are located in the USA.

Assuming you've paid partially or totally the trip with a credit card, are some of these (even basic) insurances not already included?
In France the Visa Classic offers limited insurances for the entire family (wife/husband+ kids below 18yo) for a travelling period of up to 90 days.
- Medical expenses up to €12000/year
- Medical repatriation
- Legal advice H24

That's not a lot but better than nothing. How does it work in the US?

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:27 pm

eastafspot wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Assuming you've paid partially or totally the trip with a credit card, are some of these (even basic) insurances not already included?
In France the Visa Classic offers limited insurances for the entire family (wife/husband+ kids below 18yo) for a travelling period of up to 90 days.
- Medical expenses up to €12000/year
- Medical repatriation
- Legal advice H24

That's not a lot but better than nothing. How does it work in the US?

Good questions. Well, the credit card I've used for part of the trip has been cancelled, so I wouldn't be covered by that insurance anymore. Furthermore, I've booked this trips in bits and pieces (Safari Reserve, Used Miles for Flights on two separate alliances, etc). So yes, most cards have some insurance, but I want comprehensive medical insurance in case someone winds up in the hospital or needs to be airlifted somewhere. Very remote possibility, but I want to be fully covered, not just count on credit card coverage.

Thanks!

Chemist

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 pm

In the US, go to insuremytrip.com and check coverages. They compare many insurance providers.
I've used TravelGuard, Allianz, and a couple of others before. But have not had a claim, yet.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:59 pm

Chemist wrote:
In the US, go to insuremytrip.com and check coverages. They compare many insurance providers.
I've used TravelGuard, Allianz, and a couple of others before. But have not had a claim, yet.

Thank you, sir. I will do that.

teachpdx

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:39 am

I second insuremytrip. Used them multiple times on travel abroad to Europe, Oceania, and Asia. The rates are affordable and it’s very easy to see what is and is not included. It’s so nice to get one price for a 2 month trip with 26 flights, three rental cars, and serious off-the-grid adventures.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm

teachpdx wrote:
I second insuremytrip. Used them multiple times on travel abroad to Europe, Oceania, and Asia. The rates are affordable and it’s very easy to see what is and is not included. It’s so nice to get one price for a 2 month trip with 26 flights, three rental cars, and serious off-the-grid adventures.

Superb. Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

flyingclrs727

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:31 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Good day,

My wife and I will be going to South Africa for about 10 days in February. Most of the time will be spent in/around Cape Town, with another two days out on a safari/reserve.

Now, we aren't ones to ever purchase any type of insurance when we travel internationally. If we are in Europe or Asia or what have you, and we needed to get home right away, splurging on a plane ticket home will not kill us.

With that said, I am interested in purchasing International Health Insurance (our domestic health insurance wouldn't suffice) for our travel to South Africa. If God forbid, one of us got ill and so forth, I want to be able to be treated (and evacuated if necessary) without having to worry about exorbitant out of pocket expenses. I'm just being very cautious on this trip given how remote we'll be for a couple of days.

Travel insurance isn't that expensive. I typically get $1million insurance for my wife for about $130 when she visits friends and family. It's not just the cost of a return trip you should be worried about. What if you need need a special medical evacuation flight to return to the US? That could be over $60,000.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:58 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Good day,

Travel insurance isn't that expensive. I typically get $1million insurance for my wife for about $130 when she visits friends and family. It's not just the cost of a return trip you should be worried about. What if you need need a special medical evacuation flight to return to the US? That could be over $60,000.

I don’t think you read my post very thoroughly :D

debonair

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 am

Chemist wrote:

I have no idea about the US market, however I can't recommend Allianz and their affiliates. With the Allianz Group, although in Germany, I had in the past quite a lot of trouble. After a small claim, they cancelled all future contracts. Not the best in customer service.

I have a yearly travel insurance, much cheaper than for just one trip. But I don't know if this is available in the US...

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:58 pm

debonair wrote:
Chemist wrote:

I have no idea about the US market, however I can't recommend Allianz and their affiliates. With the Allianz Group, although in Germany, I had in the past quite a lot of trouble. After a small claim, they cancelled all future contracts. Not the best in customer service.

I have a yearly travel insurance, much cheaper than for just one trip. But I don't know if this is available in the US...

Thank you, sir. I will look into an annual policy as well since we typically travel internationally 2-3 times per year. I will keep Allianz in the back of my mind - hopefully they won't come up the most cost effective! :lol:

ConnectAir

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:38 pm

If you're from the US, AAA offers some pretty reliable comprehensive travel insurance that does include medical coverage. If you're a member, you might also want to check them out.

eastafspot

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:01 pm

debonair wrote:
However, I can't recommend Allianz and their affiliates. With the Allianz Group, although in Germany, I had in the past quite a lot of trouble. After a small claim, they cancelled all future contracts. Not the best in customer service.

I can only concur with what you said - Thanks! You did well to mention them since, a good friend of mine has still her claim, for the last 4 months, pending! :thumbsdown:

Also, Air France has just teamed up with Allianz Travel recently. For a 2h delay, insurance that refunds immediately €50 without asking (along with other little gimmicks)..... Just a question, since French Railways are doing similar, is it the same in Germany, for LH, EW or DB?
Are some surcharges worth the extra spend?

Like you, my Amex AF Platinum covers pretty much all the travel needs (Except, when you really need them in Burundi or South Sudan though :roll: ).

To FriscoHeavy

If you travel at least twice a year or more, it might be a good option to renew ( or upgrade) your credit credit card. Of course, it depends on many factors.

Enjoy South Africa, :smile:

zeke

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Depends I guess on how much you really like your wife ;)

jetwet1

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:57 pm

My company insurance covers me on work trips, however, I do have a supplemental through Blue Cross/ Blue Shield to cover personal trips and just the peace of mind should anything go pear shape, I pay $200 a year, it gives me $1m coverage with a zero deductible.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:44 am

jetwet1 wrote:
My company insurance covers me on work trips, however, I do have a supplemental through Blue Cross/ Blue Shield to cover personal trips and just the peace of mind should anything go pear shape, I pay $200 a year, it gives me $1m coverage with a zero deductible.

What company is that with?

Do you have the name of the policy/product?

waheedakhtar

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:35 am

I don't know much about it but you can read more on by googling. What I found online https://driveegermany.com/germany-medical-treatment-visa-requirements-application-guidelines/

jetwet1

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:38 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

What company is that with?

Do you have the name of the policy/product?

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/ ... erview.cfm

debonair

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:15 am

eastafspot wrote:
Also, Air France has just teamed up with Allianz Travel recently. For a 2h delay, insurance that refunds immediately €50 without asking (along with other little gimmicks)..... Just a question, since French Railways are doing similar, is it the same in Germany, for LH, EW or DB?
Are some surcharges worth the extra spend?

Never heard of this before... I have a several medical insurance for my travels, as I pay annually(!!) only 10USD for the worldwide coverage. I had last time a medical bill of around 7000USD for an emergency in the US - and this low-cost insurance paid without any hassle and questions the full amount! In the future, I will stay away from Allianz for sure.

flipdewaf

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 am

Maybe this is a cultural difference but is it not just the standard to go and check on a comparison website and check cost vs coverage vs reviews for what you require and then cough up? Maybe its like mailing cheques to pay for mortgage.

Fred

melpax

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:42 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Good day,

Interesting the differences between Americans & Australians when we travel overseas. Most Australians would not dream of travelling overseas without insurance, especially to the US with it's astronomical medical costs.

Also bear in mind that you may not always be able to 'jump on a plane home' if sick or injured.

A former boss broke her back while riding a quad bike on a friend's farm while on holiday in the US. She was helicoptered to hospital & spend time in ICU after surgery & had to spend an extended period in the US recovering before she could fly home. Total bill in the end was around $150K, which her travel insurer picked up.

It's no suprise that most insurers here now exclude activities such as riding motor bikes of any sort on their standard policies.......

flipdewaf

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm

melpax wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
Good day,

Interesting the differences between Americans & Australians when we travel overseas. Most Australians would not dream of travelling overseas without insurance, especially to the US with it's astronomical medical costs.

Also bear in mind that you may not always be able to 'jump on a plane home' if sick or injured.

A former boss broke her back while riding a quad bike on a friend's farm while on holiday in the US. She was helicoptered to hospital & spend time in ICU after surgery & had to spend an extended period in the US recovering before she could fly home. Total bill in the end was around $150K, which her travel insurer picked up.

It's no suprise that most insurers here now exclude activities such as riding motor bikes of any sort on their standard policies.......
Agreed, I could probably afford to spend the money on a last minute flight home on a credit card, what I can't afford is to charter my own private jet with on board nurse when I can't go commercial.

Fred

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:38 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Maybe this is a cultural difference but is it not just the standard to go and check on a comparison website and check cost vs coverage vs reviews for what you require and then cough up? Maybe its like mailing cheques to pay for mortgage.

Fred

Not sure I quite follow the point you are trying to make, but I appreciate your post nonetheless.

I could search (and have) online, but given this is a 'travel' website and I believe folks here would have some very good suggestions, I thought I'd query here to get some opinions before making a final determination. So far, I've been proven correct, as there have been multiple very wise ideas and suggestions for which to base my search.

Cheers