Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Retro liveries better than today’s

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Looking at the excellent photo of the ANA
767-300 on the home brings up this point

Almost without exception these retro paint schemes (or a lack of them with AA) are
far more attractive, clean and elegant than
their modern equivalents

Maybe this is a generational thing, I don’t know, but there are some truly ugly (AA) and or boring (Delta) liveries out there

I think of icons like Varig, Singapore, the old Thai and CX schemes

At least SQ has endured
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

PatrickZ80

Re: Retro liveries better than today’s

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:37 pm

It definitely has to be a generational thing as personally I don't like retro liveries. To me they just seem outdated, there's nothing elegant about them. However I do like most modern liveries.

The difference is that to you they're icons. To me, they mean nothing.

There's also how you view liveries in general. To me, a livery is like a uniform. Even though they're all different planes, the fact that they're all painted the same makes it obvious that they belong together. However if one is in another livery, it stands out. Like it doesn't belong with the rest. To me, that's a pain in the eye.

AAlaxfan

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Max Q wrote:

Almost without exception these retro paint schemes (or a lack of them with AA) are
their modern equivalents

Maybe this is a generational thing, I don’t know, but there are some truly ugly (AA) and or boring (Delta) liveries out there

At least SQ has endured

I have to agree with you, the polished metal AA livery is "truly ugly" compared to the new livery.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Max Q wrote:
At least SQ has endured

But the SQ livery of today is not the SQ livery of 1972.

The Original:

The Current:

So it's not so much endured, but evolved.

And therein lies the key to making a good livery - evolving it rather than revolutionizing it.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

DrPaul

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:39 pm

I think it a shame that British Airways didn't repaint one of their A380s with the classic livery with a blue tail with a golden speedbird emblem. The Boeing 747 looked good in this livery, and I reckon a Whale would have looked even better.

Seabear

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:55 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
Max Q wrote:

their modern equivalents

At least SQ has endured

I have to agree with you, the polished metal AA livery is "truly ugly" compared to the new livery.

The polished metal is the opitimy of classic. AA's current abomination reeks of elementary-school-art-project.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:52 am

Seabear wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:
Max Q wrote:

their modern equivalents

At least SQ has endured

The polished metal is the opitimy of classic. AA's current abomination reeks of elementary-school-art-project.

I couldn’t agree more, AA have cheapened their brand immeasurably with the new ‘livery’

GGg

global2

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:33 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
It definitely has to be a generational thing as personally I don't like retro liveries. To me they just seem outdated, there's nothing elegant about them. However I do like most modern liveries.

There's also how you view liveries in general. To me, a livery is like a uniform. Even though they're all different planes, the fact that they're all painted the same makes it obvious that they belong together. However if one is in another livery, it stands out. Like it doesn't belong with the rest. To me, that's a pain in the eye.

Besides missing our icons and their classic liveries, I find that so many of the airlines today have chosen bland Eurowhite schemes which are really driven more by a desire to penny pinch rather than any "inspired" marketing whooey. Lufthansa doing away with the gold color on the tail is just the latest sad example IMO.

alan3

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:15 am

global2 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Besides missing our icons and their classic liveries, I find that so many of the airlines today have chosen bland Eurowhite schemes which are really driven more by a desire to penny pinch rather than any "inspired" marketing whooey. Lufthansa doing away with the gold color on the tail is just the latest sad example IMO.

Older is not always better. Truth is, things like cheatlines and polished metal liveries are dated, and would make a brand look old fashioned.

Look at old ads from the 60's. Whether it's a store, or a restaurant, or a bank, few companies have the exact same font, branding, logo as they did decades ago.

Although cost is a major factor in livery decision making and I agree Lufthansa was a disappointment, overall I think it's important for a brand to evolve and modernize their product.

I'm not a huge AA fan but their new livery is one of the good things they've done. In 2019, that old metal livery would be hideously outdated.

And let's be truthful, if we saw an airline come out in 2019 to announce a new livery that looks like ANA we would comment at how boring it is!

PatrickZ80

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:55 am

global2 wrote:

Eurowhite can be a bit boring indeed, but with accents in the right place it doesn't have to be. Personally I rather like most Eurowhite liveries, however if there's one thing I don't like it's the cheatlines that you see on most retro liveries. It's something from the past, just leave it.

Take KLM for example. On their 1980's livery they still had a thick dark blue cheatline which kind of fitted with the times. Later this cheatline was thinned and lowered a bit, which immediately gave the aircraft a much more modern look. And last but not least they added some curves to the line in the front and back, which made it look less stiff and even more modern. Each of these changes has been an improvement, each made their livery look better than before. The 1980's livery, that looked beautiful back then, would now be a pain in the eye.

spacecadet

Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 am

I think most retro liveries look better than modern ones, but that doesn't mean they'd work better in terms of modern branding. They do look obviously old fashioned, and that's the charm of them. It's like people who use the old mechanical ring tone on their iPhones. It's cute, but it doesn't mean those people want *real* ringing bells inside their iPhones.

Nostalgia only goes so far, as some of the comments from younger people in this thread show. But even for those who feel that nostalgia, the reason it works as nostalgia is because it's something that's *not* around anymore. If these liveries were just brought back en masse, then you'd no longer feel anything about them, and they'd just look dated (as they already do to everyone else).

I love seeing retro liveries, especially for airlines that no longer exist. I was lucky enough to see both the Allegheny and PSA liveries at PHX this week on the same day! That was cool. But if those airlines were still around, they'd have obviously changed their liveries by now.

That's also not to say there aren't current liveries that are just bad. JAL's current livery still looks like a temporary placeholder. Southwest's current livery is just weirdly dark compared to the previous one (while otherwise being pretty much the same). And Alaska's updates just look like someone used too much smoothing in Photoshop.

But the idea of bringing back cheat lines and black noses for the sake of making what's old new again doesn't make much sense, even if you feel nostalgia for them.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Bahstonljo

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 am

Well I think the Alitalia green stripe livery is far better than the new one. Having some color to break up the white really makes a difference.
-LJO

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 am

There are certain things in life that are ageless, they’re so iconic, inspired and original they’re not ever going out of style

A few:

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Porsche 911

Datsun 240Z

Rolex GMT Master

Rolex Submariner

The word ‘The’

The Lockheed Constellation

The L 1011 Tristar

The Boeing 707,

The Boeing 727

The Boeing 747

Concorde

American Airlines classic, timeless and unique polished aluminum livery

Talking to people instead of texting

Dogs

Tall ships

To name a few

GGg

VSMUT

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:13 pm

A lot of members here were very positively surprised when Austrian revealed their latest retro jet:

PatrickZ80

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Bahstonljo wrote:
Well I think the Alitalia green stripe livery is far better than the new one. Having some color to break up the white really makes a difference.

I don't agree, I like their new livery more. The green stripe just didn't fit anymore and it was time to remove it. Besides if you look closer the new livery has plenty of slight accents that break the "white" which by the way is slightly grey/beige instead of white. It looks as if there are some ribbons in the fuselage, but that's the way it's painted. Also if you look at the tail it has slight color differences in the logo, it's not entirely made up of the same colors but there are lighter and darker parts that fade into each other. That's something that wasn't possible to paint in the old days, but with modern techniques it is. It gives the entire plane a nice modern look.

Bahstonljo

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:30 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Also if you look at the tail it has slight color differences in the logo, it's not entirely made up of the same colors but there are lighter and darker parts that fade into each other. That's something that wasn't possible to paint in the old days, but with modern techniques it is. It gives the entire plane a nice modern look.

That just makes it look as if they wanted it white but then changed it to beige at the last minute in order to seem more interesting. It just looks really low effort "Let's make it white but not white and add some white stripes near the back so that everyone knows that we were going to make it white but changed it to look more unique and special."
-LJO