Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAUA
Topic Author

What to expect on Southwest Airlines?

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:51 pm

Will fly between LAX and LAS in September. First time on Southwest Airlines. What to expect? What type of B737 will I get?

From what I heard I get two checked bags for free per person and snacks onboard. True? If yes, it's better than AA, UA,DL domestically.

Thanks
My former profile name was United Airline.

jplatts

Re: What to expect on Southwest Airlines?

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:58 pm

If you are flying between LAX and LAS on WN next month, you will be on either a 737-700 or 737-800 plane as WN has already removed the 737 MAX from its September 2019 schedule.

You still get 2 checked bags for free per person on WN. In addition, WN still does offer some free snacks aboard its flights, even though they no longer serve any peanuts on its flights.

wmAirplane

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:00 pm

You will board by rows if I recall. No assigned seats, 2 bags free. They will serve you a complimentary beverage ( or you can pay for some booze), you will also get a small snack (snack mix, pretzels, etc.). You will more than likely be on a 737-700, but you could get a 737-800.

Inflight entertainment: You can connect to the wifi and stream movies/tv shows.

Crew: I'm always impressed by their crew. Last year I flew them from TUL-DAL and the pilots and flight attendants were joking around with each other and laughing. Something I've never seen on AA and UA. I see it on DL on occasion.

UALFAson

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 pm

wmAirplane wrote:
You will board by rows if I recall.

Not how Southwest works. Starting 24 hours before departure, you will have the ability to check in online. Boarding positions will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. They are assigned A1-60, B1-60, and C1-however many seats there are on the plane.

On the day of departure, you will be prompted to queue up by groups (A1-30, A31-60), etc. instead of how other airlines do boarding groups. It is open seating once on the plane, so you can sit anywhere you want.

Given how short the flight is, your inflight experience won't be that much different than if you had flown any other carrier, other than up to 2 checked bags free if you need it. You'll get a free cup of soda/water/coffee and probably a bag of pretzels.

The bigger determining factor of your experience will be the times of day you are flying versus your airline. If you're doing some sort of Friday outbound and Sunday return, you're going to get a lot of drunk weekenders. If you're flying midweek, you might get a few convention goers, though they're often not much better.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

ConnectAir

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:40 pm

I concur with UALFAson and jplatts.
WN, LX, AZ, BA, LH, KL, DL, OK, S5, US, UA, VY, IB, AF, LY, F9, CO, YX x2, PD, AC, AA, OO, PT, QK

A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, B712, B733, B737, B738, B753, B744, B764, B772, B789, CRJ9, DH8D, E145, E190

aklrno

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 pm

If you are picky about where you sit, be ready to check in EXACTLY 24 hours before boarding. There are several groups that will be there before you get a chance. A-list people will get A1-15. People who paid for early bird checkin will have numbers assigned more or less when they bought the ticket or some time well before 24 hours. People connecting from another flight will get their number when they checked in on the first flight of the connecting ticket.

Rows 1-3 are a bit narrower than the rest due to curvature of the front end of the cabin. I like rows 4-6 myself so I can get off quickly. If it is really crowded and you are in late B or anywhere in the C group try to head for the very back. That usually fills up last but it takes a while to get off. If you have checked bags that won't matter. LAS appears to be quick with bags because it takes a while to get to bag claim. LAX seems much slower because you can be at the carousel quicker, and they don't have very many of them. LAS baggage claim seems to have dozens of them. If it is a completely full flight (they usually tell you at the gate) consider a middle seat if there are reasonably sized people in the aisle and window seats. Its a short flight but I think a middle seat is better than risking a window seat next to Jabba the Hutt.

Enjoy your pretzels, or pretend to have a gluten allergy and ask for a bag of raisins. Works sometimes.

IPFreely

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:42 am

aklrno wrote:
Its a short flight but I think a middle seat is better than risking a window seat next to Jabba the Hutt.

On the plus side for Southwest, they are the only airline I have ever seen that sometimes enforces their "Passenger of Size" policy, i.e. if Jabba the Hutt shows up and can't fit in one seat, they may make him or her buy two tickets and get two seats. They don't do it all the time, but at least they do it sometimes. I've not seen any other airline do it ever, even on flights where they've had so many obese passengers they've run out of seat belt extenders.

BWIAirport

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:21 pm

You should be able to add Early Bird for $15 to your itinerary. This way, you'll automatically be checked in before the general crowd and likely get a top-30 position. In my experience, anything higher than B60 guarantees you a window seat.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B38M B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

maps4ltd

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:46 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
You should be able to add Early Bird for $15 to your itinerary. This way, you'll automatically be checked in before the general crowd and likely get a top-30 position. In my experience, anything higher than B60 guarantees you a window seat.

EarlyBird is flexibly priced based on LF now. My last STL-HOU flight, it was $40. It is rarely lower than $20 nowadays. Even on an 80%-full HOU-SAT, it was still $30. It may be lower beforehand, as I've seen it at $20 online. Its more expensive at the gate.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

September11

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:22 pm

You will get to see 3 very friendly flight attendants onboard

The flight most likely will be on time
Airliners.net of the Future