MatthewLAX
Topic Author

United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Effective immediately, United miles will no longer expire.

United will retroactively restore miles for those whose miles expired in July/August 2019.

More info:
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....es-expiration/

Scarebus34

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:40 pm

They join Delta and JetBlue now with miles that don’t expire.

tphuang

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:41 pm

oh man, i wish they had changed this a year ago. I lost so many miles because I forgot about it.

WA707atMSP

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:02 pm

AA always imitates what UA and DL do. I'm sure within a month, "Doogie Discount" will be announcing that AAdvantage miles will no longer expire.

TWFlyGuy

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:19 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
AA always imitates what UA and DL do. I'm sure within a month, "Doogie Discount" will be announcing that AAdvantage miles will no longer expire.

It's an oligopoly industry...they all follow each other...

gdg9

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Link does not work
@dfwtower

MIflyer12

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:57 pm

You can argue that but DL announced the end of SkyMiles expiration in 2011. Yes, 2011. So following by UA is certainly slow in this matter.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/02/15/de ... index.html

MrBretz

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Here’s a link to the announcement that works:

https://hub.united.com/united--mileagep ... 82775.html

whiskeyhotel

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Folks who have to worry about mileage expiration won't really see much benefit, once dynamic award pricing takes hold in November. The value of those unexpired miles is going to plummet.

MrBretz

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 pm

I was unaware of dynamic award pricing until I just googled it. What is worse is what some friends who retired from a nonUA major told me about their flying privileges. They are now paying for their tickets and unable to use their free travel. The reason was that basic economy passengers don’t show up in the inventory until the night before. So a flight will look available but fill up on the day of travel. I don’t feel too sorry for them.

mcdu

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:46 pm

MrBretz wrote:
I was unaware of dynamic award pricing until I just googled it. What is worse is what some friends who retired from a nonUA major told me about their flying privileges. They are now paying for their tickets and unable to use their free travel. The reason was that basic economy passengers don’t show up in the inventory until the night before. So a flight will look available but fill up on the day of travel. I don’t feel too sorry for them.

That is blatantly false that basic economy travelers don't show up in inventory. They don't show in the seat map but they do show up in the loads for the flight if the retired employee has any basic skills in reading the employee reservations site they will see the booked loads.

MrBretz

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:59 pm

mcdu wrote:
MrBretz wrote:

That is blatantly false that basic economy travelers don't show up in inventory. They don't show in the seat map but they do show up in the loads for the flight if the retired employee has any basic skills in reading the employee reservations site they will see the booked loads.

Sorry, mcdu. That’s what they told me. What you say makes sense to me. I think the real reason they are paying is that one of them can’t stand the stress anymore about making a flight.
Last edited by MrBretz on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrBretz

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Fat fingers...please delete.

chepos

United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:31 pm

MrBretz wrote:

What????? Of course basic economy passengers show up on the load count. As a nonrev one learns there are many reasons a flight can go from empty to full in a second. Your retiree friends I am sure are aware of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!