MatthewLAX
Topic Author
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:29 pm

United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Effective immediately, United miles will no longer expire.

United will retroactively restore miles for those whose miles expired in July/August 2019.

More info:
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....es-expiration/
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:40 pm

They join Delta and JetBlue now with miles that don’t expire.
 
tphuang
Posts: 3223
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:41 pm

oh man, i wish they had changed this a year ago. I lost so many miles because I forgot about it.
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:02 pm

AA always imitates what UA and DL do. I'm sure within a month, "Doogie Discount" will be announcing that AAdvantage miles will no longer expire.
 
TWFlyGuy
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:19 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
AA always imitates what UA and DL do. I'm sure within a month, "Doogie Discount" will be announcing that AAdvantage miles will no longer expire.


It's an oligopoly industry...they all follow each other...
 
User avatar
gdg9
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:42 am

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Link does not work
@dfwtower
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5825
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:57 pm

You can argue that but DL announced the end of SkyMiles expiration in 2011. Yes, 2011. So following by UA is certainly slow in this matter.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/02/15/de ... index.html
 
MrBretz
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Here’s a link to the announcement that works:

https://hub.united.com/united--mileagep ... 82775.html
 
whiskeyhotel
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:46 am

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Folks who have to worry about mileage expiration won't really see much benefit, once dynamic award pricing takes hold in November. The value of those unexpired miles is going to plummet.
 
MrBretz
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 pm

I was unaware of dynamic award pricing until I just googled it. What is worse is what some friends who retired from a nonUA major told me about their flying privileges. They are now paying for their tickets and unable to use their free travel. The reason was that basic economy passengers don’t show up in the inventory until the night before. So a flight will look available but fill up on the day of travel. I don’t feel too sorry for them.
 
mcdu
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:46 pm

MrBretz wrote:
I was unaware of dynamic award pricing until I just googled it. What is worse is what some friends who retired from a nonUA major told me about their flying privileges. They are now paying for their tickets and unable to use their free travel. The reason was that basic economy passengers don’t show up in the inventory until the night before. So a flight will look available but fill up on the day of travel. I don’t feel too sorry for them.


That is blatantly false that basic economy travelers don't show up in inventory. They don't show in the seat map but they do show up in the loads for the flight if the retired employee has any basic skills in reading the employee reservations site they will see the booked loads.
 
MrBretz
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:59 pm

mcdu wrote:
MrBretz wrote:
I was unaware of dynamic award pricing until I just googled it. What is worse is what some friends who retired from a nonUA major told me about their flying privileges. They are now paying for their tickets and unable to use their free travel. The reason was that basic economy passengers don’t show up in the inventory until the night before. So a flight will look available but fill up on the day of travel. I don’t feel too sorry for them.


That is blatantly false that basic economy travelers don't show up in inventory. They don't show in the seat map but they do show up in the loads for the flight if the retired employee has any basic skills in reading the employee reservations site they will see the booked loads.


Sorry, mcdu. That’s what they told me. What you say makes sense to me. I think the real reason they are paying is that one of them can’t stand the stress anymore about making a flight.
Last edited by MrBretz on Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
MrBretz
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Fat fingers...please delete.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 6786
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

United Miles No Longer Expire

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:31 pm

MrBretz wrote:
I was unaware of dynamic award pricing until I just googled it. What is worse is what some friends who retired from a nonUA major told me about their flying privileges. They are now paying for their tickets and unable to use their free travel. The reason was that basic economy passengers don’t show up in the inventory until the night before. So a flight will look available but fill up on the day of travel. I don’t feel too sorry for them.


What????? Of course basic economy passengers show up on the load count. As a nonrev one learns there are many reasons a flight can go from empty to full in a second. Your retiree friends I am sure are aware of that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: trexel94, Yflyer and 23 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos