behramjee
Topic Author

EU immigration for long haul triangle flights

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:29 pm

Hello

I have a question please concerning how passengers are handled by EU immigration / customs when flying on an airline with a triangle or intra EU routing. For example :

Ethiopian ADD VIE MRS + ADD BRU DUB
Sichuan Airlines CTU-CPH HEL

On ET, would the MRS bound pax have to deplane at VIE, clear immigration and then reboard or can they stay on board since the next city enroute is also in the EU. Same question for DUB and Sichuan’s routing I have.

Any clarity / info would be appreciated.

Thanks

chunhimlai

Re: EU immigration for long haul triangle flights

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Both airlines you mention above do not have local traffic right in EU sectors (no 5th freedom)

SCQ83

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:42 pm

It doesn't matter 5th freedom or not, PAX will continue on board. I think this is common to everywhere in the world except (of course) the US (and maybe China?).

By reading the title I thought you were referring to two long-hauls back to back, like Air China's PEK-MAD-GRU or the multiple Emirates' flights via Europe to the US or Mexico. I think Air China PAX deplane in MAD but I wonder what about EK?

behramjee
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:44 pm

No no I meant within the EU only which ET has done with many routings in the past and continues today too.

So pax stay on board only enroute to their final city in the EU. Thanks !

BlueberryWheats

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:53 pm

I suppose it would no different than if they were on a non-stop flight to their final destination, they've got to clear customs and immigration somewhere anyway, why not just stay on board and sort it at the final stop?

eastafspot

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:20 pm

behramjee wrote:
Hello

I have a question please concerning how passengers are handled by EU immigration / customs when flying on an airline with a triangle or intra EU routing. For example :

Ethiopian ADD VIE MRS + ADD BRU DUB
Sichuan Airlines CTU-CPH HEL

On ET, would the MRS bound pax have to deplane at VIE, clear immigration and then reboard or can they stay on board since the next city enroute is also in the EU. Same question for DUB and Sichuan’s routing I have.

Any clarity / info would be appreciated.

Thanks

When RwandAir started long haul flight to BRU and LGW in 2016, they faced some issues with the UK Border Agency.
UK did (does) not allow pax to board at BRU to KGL (via LGW), unless travellers would hold transit visa/appropriate passport.
Thus at that time, WB flew almost empty for 2-3 week the BRU-LGW-KGL route before ajusting accordingly their timetables.
RwandAir rebooked pax on to SN metal.
Now it's a KGL-BRU-LGW-BRU-KGL instead
On the other hand, one could book a dirt cheap WB ticket (cash or miles) and fly with SN top notch product during a limited period. ;)
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

lesfalls

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 pm

I've flown ADD-FCO-MXP with ET and you don't deboard. All passengers do remain on the plane for 1 hour until the new crew comes onboard from the previous day flight from ADD (varies on which flight you are on do to different schedules used for different destinations). At the same time new catering and extra fuel is added on to the plane.

In addition after all passengers who were destined for FCO deboarded, Italian customs came aboard and checked everyones tickets (we'll at least half of them from what I remember ;) ).

I've also heard that some passengers who are coming from outside the schengen zone can book these non-schengen flights only if they are booked as one ticket (ex: CTU-FCO-MXP).
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

debonair

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:42 am

behramjee wrote:
No no I meant within the EU only which ET has done with many routings in the past and continues today too.

So pax stay on board only enroute to their final city in the EU. Thanks !

lesfalls wrote:
I've also heard that some passengers who are coming from outside the schengen zone can book these non-schengen flights only if they are booked as one ticket (ex: CTU-FCO-MXP).

No, that's not true at all, AFAIK the FCO-MXP route is not 5th freedom, so it is impossible to book tickets. But it depends on the company for 5th freedom routes.

ET for example is operating from INTERNATIONAL terminals. So you have to clear immigration for international, Non-Schengen, departures - even it is a Schengen flight within Europe - passengers will stay onboard or in the transit lounge.
3U on the other hand operates from DOMESTIC terminals - like they did on ZRH-PRG. ALL passengers are required to deboard for immigration, going through arrivals and check-in again.

LIPZ

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:49 pm

lesfalls wrote:

There is no CTU-FCO-MXP flight .
Sichuan Airlines just started CTU-FCO-CTU 3xw in June

jubaexpress

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:41 pm

I flew BRU-VIE-ADD this week and passengers alighted in Vienna so somehow they do carry local passengers.

MartijnNL

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:53 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
Both airlines you mention above do not have local traffic right in EU sectors (no 5th freedom)

Sichuan Airlines sells tickets between Helsinki and Copenhagen. So they must have local traffic rights.

Ethiopian Airlines sells tickets between Stockholm and Oslo. Norway isn’t part of the EU, but again these are local traffic rights.

Birdwatching

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:16 pm

LA has a SCL-MAD-FRA routing. The transit passengers leave the plane at MAD but stay airside at MAD's T4S Terminal, so they enter the EU at their final destination in FRA.
You can book the EU segment separately (I recently flew on this route for €9), so I had to go through immigration at MAD before entering the T4S terminal, leaving the Schengen area, then clear immigration at FRA again. For Europeans this is not a big deal, no passport needed, show your ID card or even use the automatic gates.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

MareBorealis

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:54 am

MartijnNL wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

Sichuan Airlines sells tickets between Helsinki and Copenhagen. So they must have local traffic rights.

Ethiopian Airlines sells tickets between Stockholm and Oslo. Norway isn’t part of the EU, but again these are local traffic rights.

Yes they most certainly do have local traffic rights, both of them. Sichuan Airlines inaugural flight HEL-CPH on 16th September, one way ticket priced from around 45e.