tropical
Topic Author

Royal Jordanian forcing passengers to close window blinds on medium haul daytime flights

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:52 pm

Last year I flew AMM- LHR on RJ’s 787, which IIRC departs at around 11 am. I was bemused when the crew dimmed all the windows given that it was a morning flight and no more than five hours, and couldn’t think what reasoning was behind it.

Today I flew RJ from AMM to Copenhagen, departing at an equally reasonable 10.45 am but and on an A321, which of course has traditional blinds.

Not only did the crew impose the nighttime conditions again by demanding every passenger lowered their blind as soon as food had been served, but they actually remonstrated quite harshly with a few passengers who wanted to keep theirs up and insisted they had to do it, end of.

I’m actually very cheesed off about this, and have two questions for those in the know. Is there any justification for imposing ‘sleep’ conditions on an 4h 45m flight with a late morning departure I am not aware of? And can a passenger be banned/ prosecuted for refusing to lower their blind? I don’t like being treated like a child and told when to go to sleep, aside from the fact that any PAX wanting to do so need only to close their eyes, and put on a blind mask if the light bothers them.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity

grbauc

Re: Royal Jordanian forcing passengers to close window blinds on medium haul daytime flights

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 am

close the blinds let people sleep. You don't have to sleep Just close the blinds the lights could be going in other peoples eyes and blinding them? I always try to think of others not just myself. Did you try asking the crew why?

mercure1

Re: Royal Jordanian forcing passengers to close window blinds on medium haul daytime flights

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:34 am

Those are all longish enough flights that people can take a nap and sleep. Light flooding into the cabin is a major annoyance.
mercure f-wtcc

Antarius

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:37 am

grbauc wrote:
close the blinds let people sleep. You don't have to sleep Just close the blinds the lights could be going in other peoples eyes and blinding them? I always try to think of others not just myself. Did you try asking the crew why?

Come on. I pick window seats for the... window!! Something that I enjoy looking out of.

As long as the sun isnt blazing directly in someone's eyes, there is nothing wrong with keeping the window open. If someone needs to sleep
1. They can book a window and make the decision for themselves
2. Use eyeshades.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

tropical
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:39 am

grbauc wrote:
close the blinds let people sleep. You don't have to sleep Just close the blinds the lights could be going in other peoples eyes and blinding them? I always try to think of others not just myself.
Some people like to sleep at every opportunity, some people enjoy looking out of a plane's window. Why should the latter be deprived of it? In particular when one can sleep with with light in the cabin (plenty do by closing their eyes, and for those who still sense some light, a simple and cheap blindfold takes care of it). However one cannot see anything outside of the plane with the blinds down. Perhaps you should think of those who want to look out of the window as well.

If we were talking of a very early morning flight, or a long haul one, I perfectly understand the need and/ or benefits of enforcing a sleep period in the cabin. But it is simply absurd for a sub 5-hour flight departing ar 11 am.

tropical
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:44 am

mercure1 wrote:
Those are all longish enough flights that people can take a nap and sleep. Light flooding into the cabin is a major annoyance.

Easily solved by a blindfold though. Plenty of airlines provide them already on longer flights. If RJ is so concerned about passengers getting shut eye, all they need is to distribute blindfolds alongside the headphones and blankets they already give out. Problem solved.

Sorry, late here and must go to bed so going on radio silence now until the morning.

stl07

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:08 am

This happens a lot on middle eastern carries. I had to do it on an AUH-BOM flight, which is like 3 hours. (Tip) You can keep your window open halfway, which is what I did, just don't make a big noise about it. The rule is not about you traveling Amman to Europe or me from the UAE to India, It's for people flying say LHR-Hong Kong via Amman that would love that extra sleep. Rules like these are common carriers with lots of connections
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Philippine747

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:18 am

QR also encourages closed shades. Did this once on a morning DOH-MNL flight, but my shades were open on the afternoon DOH-ATH flight.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE

aeromoe

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:08 am

I book and often pay for a window seat just to be able to enjoy the sightseeing possibilities. I'm not going to risk getting booted off a flight by not following the cabin attendants rules but this closing the shades during flight bulls*#t is really annoying.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

grbauc

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:18 am

Antarius wrote:
grbauc wrote:

Come on. I pick window seats for the... window!! Something that I enjoy looking out of.

As long as the sun isnt blazing directly in someone's eyes, there is nothing wrong with keeping the window open. If someone needs to sleep
2. Use eyeshades.

I don't doubt you are looking out for others also. You would be amazed at how many people are oblivious to others around them. I pick window seats also they are not yours in its self they are a shared Row thing.

when I like to look out the window and its super bright I just raise it part way has not to offend others.. Not sure on the reason of the Flight attendants but Maybe its due to lots of people complaining its bright? Have to ask them and see why.

grbauc

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:37 am

tropical wrote:
grbauc wrote:
close the blinds let people sleep. You don't have to sleep Just close the blinds the lights could be going in other peoples eyes and blinding them? I always try to think of others not just myself.
Some people like to sleep at every opportunity, some people enjoy looking out of a plane's window. Why should the latter be deprived of it? In particular when one can sleep with with light in the cabin (plenty do by closing their eyes, and for those who still sense some light, a simple and cheap blindfold takes care of it). However one cannot see anything outside of the plane with the blinds down. Perhaps you should think of those who want to look out of the window as well.

If we were talking of a very early morning flight, or a long haul one, I perfectly understand the need and/ or benefits of enforcing a sleep period in the cabin. But it is simply absurd for a sub 5-hour flight departing ar 11 am.

Just Depends on whether people across the plane were getting blinded by the sun light or not. Unless we know more info its hard to say. Thinking of others is key. You might be right and it might be overreaction by FA. Need to ask them why? Im only guessing that is there reason. Thinking of others around ones self while were all in a tight crowded condition is key.

grbauc

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:40 am

aeromoe wrote:
I book and often pay for a window seat just to be able to enjoy the sightseeing possibilities. I'm not going to risk getting booted off a flight by not following the cabin attendants rules but this closing the shades during flight bulls*#t is really annoying.

I really do get your point. I believe its a shared experience with everyone (window) and just because we sit by it doesn't mean we own it. I if its day time and notice most others have there down and I see it could be bright on others just raise mine part way so has I can look outside. Everyone wins sharing is caring preschool stuff people.

VSMUT

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:13 am

Send a complaint to the company about it. It is the only way they are going to start taking notice.

ricport

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:48 pm

grbauc wrote:
Antarius wrote:
grbauc wrote:

2. Use eyeshades.

I don't doubt you are looking out for others also. You would be amazed at how many people are oblivious to others around them. I pick window seats also they are not yours in its self they are a shared Row thing.

In my 40+ years of flying, I've never heard anyone - staff or pax - say control of the window was a "shared row thing." When you take a window seat, you are the one that gets to control it, unless instructed by the cabin crew otherwise (and the only time that has happened in my experience is during takeoff & landing when others have kept their shade down, or if landing into a warm-climate area, when the FAs have asked pax to lower the shades to keep the cabin cool).

That said, we should always be thinking of others, not just when it comes to controlling a window shade. As others here have said, the reason why I seek/obtain a window seat is so I can...look out the window! I suppose if someone asked me to close the shade, I'd offer to compromise and keep it 1/2 open, but fortunately, no one has asked.

And, in keeping with the thinking of others theme, I don't understand why, if someone is that bothered by natural light in an airplane cabin, they don't: a) choose to fly at night; b) not sit in a window seat; and/or c) buy eye masks (if you're flying in a premium cabin on a long-haul flight, they often have these free of charge)? I'm not a fan of being around screaming kids. Thus, I have invested in noise-cancelling headphones, instead of expecting parents to do their job and keep their kids under control.

grbauc

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:57 am

ricport wrote:
grbauc wrote:
Antarius wrote:

2. Use eyeshades.

In my 40+ years of flying, I've never heard anyone - staff or pax - say control of the window was a "shared row thing." When you take a window seat, you are the one that gets to control it, unless instructed by the cabin crew otherwise (and the only time that has happened in my experience is during takeoff & landing when others have kept their shade down, or if landing into a warm-climate area, when the FAs have asked pax to lower the shades to keep the cabin cool).

That said, we should always be thinking of others, not just when it comes to controlling a window shade. As others here have said, the reason why I seek/obtain a window seat is so I can...look out the window! I suppose if someone asked me to close the shade, I'd offer to compromise and keep it 1/2 open, but fortunately, no one has asked.

And, in keeping with the thinking of others theme, I don't understand why, if someone is that bothered by natural light in an airplane cabin, they don't: a) choose to fly at night; b) not sit in a window seat; and/or c) buy eye masks (if you're flying in a premium cabin on a long-haul flight, they often have these free of charge)? I'm not a fan of being around screaming kids. Thus, I have invested in noise-cancelling headphones, instead of expecting parents to do their job and keep their kids under control.

It’s because I believe my wants don’t supersede those needs around me. look we’re all squished in a metal tube/row together if the light is affecting others for reading watching TV, sleeping common courtesy dictates I close the window. We live in a narcissist Society

Antarius

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:57 pm

grbauc wrote:
ricport wrote:
grbauc wrote:

It’s because I believe my wants don’t supersede those needs around me. look we’re all squished in a metal tube/row together if the light is affecting others for reading watching TV, sleeping common courtesy dictates I close the window. We live in a narcissist Society

I guess you give up your J seat for a middle seat in the back too.

The nature of travel means everyone isnt on the same time zone.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM