Mingfei123
Topic Author

Why no direct flight between Singapore and Vienna?

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Surely there should be demand for a daily flight between Singapore and Vienna, given that nearby Munich and Zurich both have flights to Singapore twice a day each (Having a JV between SQ and LH group is also helpful). Any chance that Austrian Airlines or Singapore airlines will fly this route?

andrej

Re: Why no direct flight between Singapore and Vienna?

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Although VIE hosts several intra/international institutions such as OPEC, is there a demand for such service? It is not a financial hub (.vs ZRH, MUC) nor trade hub.

It most likely makes sense (cost effectivity) to tag along VIE traffic to and from SIN via MUC, ZRH, and/or FRA).

Unless you know travellers data, it is hard to argue that it would surely make sense. If true, airlines would already cover this segment.

kriskim

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:34 pm

A while back OS operated VIE-SIN-MEL, both destinations got axed at the same time.
A world built upon connectivity.

Dominion301

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:59 pm

Just because two destinations are Star Alliance hubs, doesn't necessarily mean there's much demand between the two of them.

WayexTDI

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Pretty much the same standard answer to this kind of question: there is not enough demand and/or it doesn't make financial sense.

MEA-707

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:04 pm

I am shocked to read this, I imagined SQ or OS would fly this route and seeing SQ seems to fill up well to non Star hubs like AMS, CDG, MAN, DUS. SQ would open up many desinations in SE Asia and the Pacific for Austrians while OS has some smaller destinations in the former Yugoslav and eastern European region to offer for which LX and LH would be more a detour.
That said, it seems SQ isn't that easy to cooperate with some Star Alliance partners.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

SpaceshipDC10

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:35 pm

andrej wrote:
It most likely makes sense (cost effectivity) to tag along VIE traffic to and from SIN via MUC, ZRH, and/or FRA).

Or with the other Star-member in the area, i.e. TG. I believe both OS and TG serve BKK-VIE, so why not considering SIN-BKK-VIE?

chunhimlai

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:46 pm

i was surprised TPE has 10w flight which is only less than BKK in East-Asia

bhxalex

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:46 pm

OS doesn't have the right aircraft currently, it's too far for the 767s and the 772s would likely burn too much fuel to be profitable over that distance. SQ would be best placed with a 359, maybe 4-5 weekly initially.

But with FRA, MUC & ZRH all under an hour flight time away and each with atleast 2x daily SIN flights, traffic will be channelled via those hubs. Those who are privy to the numbers and stats between VIE-SIN know best, and thus no direct flight.

Blerg

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:50 pm

I think another 'problem' is that Emirates, Qatar and Turkish Airlines are extremely strong in VIE so they offer cheap one stop flights. EK sends 777/380, QR 350 and TK A333 to VIE so they all have a competitive product.

Fuling

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:43 pm

If we look at a different market that some may think has more demand is US-VIE, yet no US3 operate into VIE. So although it seems like a hole in the networks, it's economically inviable to operate.

mercure1

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:53 pm

SQ also previously serviced Vienna but terminated services.

One thing to consider for SQ is that Vienna is market included in the LH-SQ joint-venture, so likely LH prefers to connect clients over FRA/MUC.
mercure f-wtcc

PatrickZ80

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Wasn't Vienna mentioned as one of the possible future destinations for Scoot, the LCC subsidiary of Singapore Airlines? After Athens and Berlin, they said more European destinations would follow. So far they didn't expand, but if they did I wouldn't be surprised if it were to Vienna.

Vienna has a growing LCC presence and is therefor reachable for cheap from all of Europe. That would mean a lot of people would fly to Vienna to grab a cheap Scoot flight to Singapore, and beyond.

If I recall right, Scoot was eying three possible destinations in the area: Prague, Budapest and Vienna. With AirAsia showing interest in Prague, that would leave Budapest and Vienna as options for Scoot. Unless they do something unexpected and start flights to Bratislava or something like that, but I don't think so.