Max Q
Topic Author

Travel dilemma

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 am

I’m trying to get from Tampa to Chicago
on this Saturday the 14th of September
but need to arrive by 0800 at the latest

Can’t find a way to do that at present and I don’t want to go up the night before

Any suggestions?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

IPFreely

Re: Travel dilemma

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 am

You'll need to charter a private jet for a 0500 or earlier departure.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:22 am

IPFreely wrote:
You'll need to charter a private jet for a 0500 or earlier departure.

Yes, that may be true

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

cofannyc

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:24 am

The earliest non-stop flight in is on United, which arrives at 0848.

If you drive up to MCO, there is a Southwest non-stop that arrives into Midway at 0820.

If you're trying to avoid paying for a hotel room on the night before, you could take the UA flight to SFO that leaves the night before at 1920 and arrives at SFO at 2153. There are UA red-eyes from SFO to ORD that depart at 2300, 2330, and 0051. All of those red-eyes arrive before 0800 on the 14th.

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:47 am

cofannyc wrote:
The earliest non-stop flight in is on United, which arrives at 0848.

If you drive up to MCO, there is a Southwest non-stop that arrives into Midway at 0820.

If you're trying to avoid paying for a hotel room on the night before, you could take the UA flight to SFO that leaves the night before at 1920 and arrives at SFO at 2153. There are UA red-eyes from SFO to ORD that depart at 2300, 2330, and 0051. All of those red-eyes arrive before 0800 on the 14th.

Thanks for that,

Wow, that almost does it, no I’m trying to
get to Chicago and back on the same day
for other reasons

There must be another way to ‘reverse engineer this problem’ finding flights from
TPA, MCO, RSW, SRQ that arrive at either Chicago airport as early as possible on the
14th

cofannyc

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:42 am

The problem is you're trying to fit too much into too little time.

TPA-ORD/MDW is, call it, a 3 hour flight. Adding connections includes additional time in the hour plus connection time on the ground (at least 30 minutes assuming you found a combination of flights right at the minimum connecting time).

You only have four hours to accomplish that given the earliest flight out of any of your departure airports leaves at 0500 EDT and you want to be in Chicago by 0900 EDT.

By the way, two of those 0500 departures are AA flights to CLT from both MCO and TPA. However, the first AA flight from CLT to ORD doesn't arrive in Chicago until just before 0900....just like taking the UA nonstop.

IPFreely

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:57 am

Max Q wrote:
There must be another way to ‘reverse engineer this problem’ finding flights from
TPA, MCO, RSW, SRQ that arrive at either Chicago airport as early as possible on the
14th

You could search the airline websites or third party search engines, as cofannyc has evidently done. Evidently the earliest arrival from SW Florida to Chicago is the UA nonstop that arrives at 8:48. Since that's 48 minutes too late, you'll have to charter a private jet.

KUZAWU08

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 am

would require evening before... however, worth considering if it’s that important last flight Florida-CLT, latest terminating flight from CLT into XNA, (I think there’s a red eye sometimes) then originating flight XNA-ORD on AA

Max Q
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 am

Thanks for the replies, any other ideas (private jet not an option !)
welcome

Woodreau

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:09 pm

Do you have jumpseating privileges? If so FedEx usually works to getting to ORD (or anywhere else for that matter) before 6am. It does mean a 9pm-10pm departure from locations all over the US, connecting and laying over in Memphis for the sort and arriving at ORD by 5am/6am.

Sometimes there are flights that fly from outstation directly to another outstation without connecting through MEM. For example, I usually took the 2am flight from AFW to get to ORD by 4:30am.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Kno

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Why even try to thread this needle? There's always a decent chance that you'll get delayed.

PatrickZ80

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:11 pm

Max Q wrote:
14th

The earliest option I could find is Southwest Airlines, departing 06:40 from Orlando and arriving 08:20 in Chicago Midway. I'm afraid there is nothing earlier.

With such early flights, you can consider yourself lucky. You want to know at what time the earliest flight from Amsterdam to Athens departs? Noon, arriving late afternoon in Athens. There is nothing earlier, if you need to be in Athens early morning you have no other option than flying the day before and staying the night in Athens. Nothing unusual, such is life.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 am

Thanks again for the replies, worth a try

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:49 am

Net Jets or Vista Jet will do it, they’ll even wait for your return. If you have a cancer treatment appointment, Corporate Angel Network might help.

It’s these trips that drive bizjet operations

GF

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:31 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Net Jets or Vista Jet will do it, they’ll even wait for your return. If you have a cancer treatment appointment, Corporate Angel Network might help.

GF

Just a bit out of my budget, but thanks !

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Max Q wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Just a bit out of my budget, but thanks !

Yes, posted in jest. Always amazed me to fly a Falcon, LGA -DCA right behind a Shuttle flight only to return behind a Shuttle. Then, I flew the EA Shuttle in the Boeing and started to understand why I did it in the Falcon.

e38

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:04 pm

I agree with Woodreau (Reply # 10), "FedEx usually works."

Just call up FedEx and list for the jumpseat on flights TPA - MEM and MEM - ORD. I looked up the schedule on the FedEx site and you can depart Tampa around 10:00 p.m. on Friday, September 13, 2019 and arrive Chicago O'Hare around 4:30 a.m. on Saturday, September 14, 2019.
Seems pretty simple to me.

e38

e38

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:55 pm

Max Q,
so, which flight did you choose and how did it work out?
e38