Ziyulu
Topic Author

Refund of Seat Selection Fee

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:59 pm

I'm a travel arranger and booked a flight and paid for a seat selection to Comfort Plus on DL. But later, I paid for an upgrade to business class. Now, DL is refusing to refund the seat selection fee. Is this even legal?

phxa340

Re: Refund of Seat Selection Fee

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I'm a travel arranger and booked a flight and paid for a seat selection to Comfort Plus on DL. But later, I paid for an upgrade to business class. Now, DL is refusing to refund the seat selection fee. Is this even legal?

Seat selection fees aren’t regulated by the government. However, it would be wise for DL to refund that fee to keep the customer happy.

Maybe hang up and call again to try to get another agent.

cvsirls

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:08 pm

It says on their website that purchases to upgraded seats like comfort + are non refundable.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... -faqs.html

PI4EVR

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Call the SkyMiles reservations line. Those folks go above and beyond even if you have no elite status. In particular the agents in CVG and TPA are awesome!

ACCS300

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Happened to me recently on WestJet flying YVR - LGW, paid for a seat-selection in Y, upgraded to Plus at check-in but they refused to refund my seat-selection charge. Although little in comparison to my overall travel expenses, it sticks with me and will affect my decision to fly WS again.

Totally unacceptable for airlines to pocket the charge and perhaps earn it 2x on the same seat.

Scarebus34

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:25 pm

UA/AA automatically refund the seat reservation fee if you upgrade to a higher class of service.

PhilMcCrackin

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 pm

File a chargeback with your credit card company.

AtomicGarden

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:03 am

Ziyulu wrote:

Well, they are not in the wrong. If you willfully bought something that says "no refunds" but then you chose not to use the service, why would they refund your money? they like your dollars like any other business. One doesn't buy a soda and before drinking it goes back to the counter and expect all the money back.

The client might not like it but it's probably far from illegal.

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
File a chargeback with your credit card company.

I don't know how it works in the US, but my work experience tells me that you are gonna lose that one battle too. Even if the CC accepts your claim, you'll end up with a debt to the airline, lose your miles (or have the account frozen) as well as being blacklisted until the debt is fully paid. And the card could be wary of letting you use their product online in the near term.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

IPFreely

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 am

Ziyulu wrote:

Hardly a criminal issue. As was pointed out above, the fine print that nobody reads says this fee is non-refundable. Penny-wise but perhaps pound-foolish on their part if in the future you choose a carrier that doesn't try to trap customers for every last nickel with fine print.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:35 am

ACCS300 wrote:
Happened to me recently on WestJet flying YVR - LGW, paid for a seat-selection in Y, upgraded to Plus at check-in but they refused to refund my seat-selection charge. Although little in comparison to my overall travel expenses, it sticks with me and will affect my decision to fly WS again.

Totally unacceptable for airlines to pocket the charge and perhaps earn it 2x on the same seat.

Why not think of the seat selection fee as payment for the upgrade?

I never get why people sweat the small stuff....
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Ziyulu
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:33 pm

After being on hold for over 2 hours, the agent said she could not find the record that I upgraded the ticket to business class. Oh well, the government is paying for this, not me, so I'm not going to put too much effort in this.

ACCS300

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:29 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:

This was in addition to a hefty upgrade fee to Plus.

alan3

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:13 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:

Nothing wrong as consumer to have a discussion about things that frustrate us. It's the principle anyway. If someone is paying for a business class or premium economy upgrade, their original seat fee for a seat they are no longer using should be refunded. Especially someone willing to shell out big bucks to upgrade.

Especially since they will collect it again from someone else. Kind of like when a hotel charges you a night for late cancellation even if they are able to re-sell the room to someone else, which means they are making 2 nights profit on 1 night's use of the room.

Just like the airline, they are fully within their rights to do so but they all have complete flexibility to make adjustments in the name of keeping a customer happy.

This has happened to me too with AC.

ACCS300

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:27 pm

alan3 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:

Nothing wrong as consumer to have a discussion about things that frustrate us. It's the principle anyway. If someone is paying for a business class or premium economy upgrade, their original seat fee for a seat they are no longer using should be refunded. Especially someone willing to shell out big bucks to upgrade.

Especially since they will collect it again from someone else. Kind of like when a hotel charges you a night for late cancellation even if they are able to re-sell the room to someone else, which means they are making 2 nights profit on 1 night's use of the room.

Just like the airline, they are fully within their rights to do so but they all have complete flexibility to make adjustments in the name of keeping a customer happy.

This has happened to me too with AC.

Thanks for the support Alan, not only did I pay a hefty sum to upgrade to Plus, on top of not getting a refund for my costly Y seat-selection YVR-LGW, I applied a $350.00 WS credit from a 2018 cancelled flight and was charged a fee of $150.00 to apply it. So not exactly 'small suff' TheFlyingDisk, it total the lost seat-selection $200 upgrade fee $150 charge to use credit and $60 lost seat fee = $410.00 , $210 of which were unreasonable IMO, if that's 'small stuff' to you, love to be earning what you do.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:23 pm

alan3 wrote:

Actually they won't be able to collect the seat selection fee again from someone else considering that

ACCS300 wrote:
upgraded to Plus at check-in

and that, with the exception of Basic fares, Westjet offers free seat selection at check-in.

ACCS300 wrote:
Thanks for the support Alan, not only did I pay a hefty sum to upgrade to Plus, on top of not getting a refund for my costly Y seat-selection YVR-LGW, I applied a $350.00 WS credit from a 2018 cancelled flight and was charged a fee of $150.00 to apply it. So not exactly 'small suff' TheFlyingDisk, it total the lost seat-selection $200 upgrade fee $150 charge to use credit and $60 lost seat fee = $410.00 , $210 of which were unreasonable IMO, if that's 'small stuff' to you, love to be earning what you do.

You could have not upgrade...

You chose to upgrade knowing well enough that seat selection fees on Westjet are non-refundable within 24 hours of departure. So yes, it is small stuff.

Ziyulu
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:46 am

If it was small stuff, airlines would not charge such "small" fees.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:35 am

Ziyulu wrote:
If it was small stuff, airlines would not charge such "small" fees.

Nobody forced you to select seats. So for you to complain about seat selection refunds, that's the small stuff.

ExpatVet

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:46 am

Yeah, I upgraded to a "preferred seat" on a DL flight last month based on the DL app seat map. Plane didn't match the map, seat was worse and different than promised.

Oh well. Annoying, and it's one of many reasons why I'm not super loyal to DL.
L101, 733/4/5/8, 741/2/3 (never managed 744!), MD 80/2/3/8/90, MD11, DHC8/3/Q4, E170, E195, 757, 77W, 763/4, Travel Air 2000. A300/310, A319/320/321, A333, ATR-72, probably a few others I forget. Passenger, not pilot, alas! BUD based.

Chemist

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 pm

It might be legal but it's still one of the reasons airlines have such poor reputations for customer service. Most industries wouldn't get away with that sort of thing.

toobz

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Think about it this way. The only reason you even got upgraded in the first place was because u had a comfort ticket.

IPFreely

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:06 am

toobz wrote:
Think about it this way. The only reason you even got upgraded in the first place was because u had a comfort ticket.

From what the OP wrote, he didn't get upgraded, he paid out of pocket for an upgrade.