Max Q
Topic Author

Layover vs a layover

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:26 am

Always thought this odd

US based crew members have always described hotel stays during a trip as
‘Layovers’ yet passengers use the same term to describe an entirely different thing,
that is the connection time between flights

I wonder how this came about..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

BWIAirport

Re: Layover vs a layover

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm

A "layover" is defined as a period of rest in between stages of a journey. Considering a "journey" from a passenger standpoint is quite different from a "journey" from a crew standpoint, it makes sense the same word is used to describe two different events. Neither is incorrect.
Next flight: October 17 DL2641 BWI-ATL B739
October 17 DL2607 ATL-TPA B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Max Q
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:13 am

BWIAirport wrote:
A "layover" is defined as a period of rest in between stages of a journey. Considering a "journey" from a passenger standpoint is quite different from a "journey" from a crew standpoint, it makes sense the same word is used to describe two different events. Neither is incorrect.

I did not say either reference was incorrect,
this was merely an observation

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

spacecadet

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am

Max Q wrote:

The person you're responding to was pointing out that there is actually no difference in the usage you're talking about. A layover is any period in between two booked flights, whether that's 45 minutes or 10 hours. Passengers and crew members use the term the same way.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Max Q
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:39 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Max Q wrote:

The person you're responding to was pointing out that there is actually no difference in the usage you're talking about. A layover is any period in between two booked flights, whether that's 45 minutes or 10 hours. Passengers and crew members use the term the same way.

That’s not correct

When crew members refer to a layover they
are describing a hotel stay, instead of how long a connection passengers have at the airport

You are missing the point

Noshow

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 pm

I have never used layover for hub connecting time. Layover for crews not staying at home is well known and used all the time.

jumpjets

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:21 pm

As a Brit [with VS captain and flight attendant ex-neighbours] I would generally regard a layover as being time spent by aircrew at an airport/city other than their home base when one shift has ended and before the next shift begins. In the case of my neighbour a layover could be up to several days for a flight say to the Carribbean where VS did not have daily flights.

As a passenger I generally wouldn't refer to time waiting for a connecting flight at an intermediate airport as a layover, rather just call it flight connection time. But that's just me. We all have our own idosyncrasies in the use of language.

e38

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:57 am

As an airline crewmember, as mentioned above, I use the term "layover" in reference to an overnight stay in a city other than the city in which I am based, for example., "on this trip I have layovers in Seattle and Denver."

However, I have friends and relatives who refer to "layover" as the period of time when making a connection between flights, for example, "On my trip next week I have a layover of one hour and thirty minutes in Chicago."

"Layover" can have multiple meanings. I agree with the statement made by BWIAirport (Reply # 2).

I have never had a problem differentiating the meaning of the word "layover" based upon the context of the conversation and whether or not the person using the term is a crewmember or not.

e38