Page 1 of 1

Noise level of ERJ jets.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 pm
by Alue
How loud are the ERJ jets compared to your average medium range aircraft like the 737 or A320?

I travel fairly frequently and have hyperacusis (loud noises are painful and can cause my tinnitus to ramp up). Generally I try to fly in the larger aircraft, sit in front of the engines, and wear earplugs with NC headphones. I typically fly in 737s or A319/A320's. Sometimes this isn't possible and I may have to fly in and ERJ-175 or ERJ-170. How loud are these jets? I flew in a CRJ 700 sitting in front of the engines and although it was a little bit louder it was tolerable. I have no desire to fly in a CRJ 200 after hearing a lot of complaints about it.

Re: Noise level of ERJ jets.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:38 pm
by Longhornmaniac
I fly the 170/175, and I don't find it to be louder than anything else. Arguably, less so. \

Re: Noise level of ERJ jets.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:56 pm
by WildcatYXU
To me the 175/190 feels a tiny bit noisier than the A320. However, the source of the noise is different. While in the A319 you can mostly hear the engines, in the 175 or 190 it is mostly aerodynamic noise. Especially if you're seated in front of the engines.

PS: It would be difficult to sit behind the engines in a CRJ 700

Re: Noise level of ERJ jets.

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 am
by Alue
WildcatYXU wrote:
To me the 175/190 feels a tiny bit noisier than the A320. However, the source of the noise is different. While in the A319 you can mostly hear the engines, in the 175 or 190 it is mostly aerodynamic noise. Especially if you're seated in front of the engines.


That's true, I noticed the CRJ 700 has more wind noise sitting towards the front. I've actually taken decibel readings and it is a bit louder than the 737's. A319s seem to be a little quieter than the 737's I've been in.
What about 170 and 145's?

PS: It would be difficult to sit behind the engines in a CRJ 700

Lol true, I meant towards the front because I know you get more noise towards the back with the engines mounted to the fuselage.

Re: Noise level of ERJ jets.

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:52 pm
by WildcatYXU
Alue wrote:
That's true, I noticed the CRJ 700 has more wind noise sitting towards the front. I've actually taken decibel readings and it is a bit louder than the 737's. A319s seem to be a little quieter than the 737's I've been in.
What about 170 and 145's?



Unfortunately, I have never flown in a 170 and my only 145 flight was 9 years ago. Therefore I don't really remember the noise. But it was a pretty nice ride.
I'm certain you'll love the new generation of NB aircraft. I haven't had a chance to fly the MAX yet so I can't compare, but the A321NEO with LEAP engines was incredibly quiet. I had a window seat in row 3 and there was basically no engine noise. The A320 on the next leg of our trip seemed incredibly noisy compared to the 321N (row 1)

Re: Noise level of ERJ jets.

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:39 pm
by IADCA
Alue wrote:
How loud are the ERJ jets compared to your average medium range aircraft like the 737 or A320?

I travel fairly frequently and have hyperacusis (loud noises are painful and can cause my tinnitus to ramp up). Generally I try to fly in the larger aircraft, sit in front of the engines, and wear earplugs with NC headphones. I typically fly in 737s or A319/A320's. Sometimes this isn't possible and I may have to fly in and ERJ-175 or ERJ-170. How loud are these jets? I flew in a CRJ 700 sitting in front of the engines and although it was a little bit louder it was tolerable. I have no desire to fly in a CRJ 200 after hearing a lot of complaints about it.


I fly the E170/5 fairly often, both in front of and behind the engines. I've never noticed a material difference between it and a 737/A32X series in terms of noise. I'm not abnormally sensitive to noise, but I'd be surprised if you notice much difference. My spouse uses NC headphones and has never complained about the Embraers or commented on any difference.

Re: Noise level of ERJ jets.

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:52 pm
by masi1157
WildcatYXU wrote:
While in the A319 you can mostly hear the engines, in the 175 or 190 it is mostly aerodynamic noise. Especially if you're seated in front of the engines.


There is virtually no engine noise on an A319 in cruise. It is almost exclusively boundary layer noise (with a bit of air cond) in front of the wings, and jet noise behind it.

The ERJ might be a few dB noisier, but nothing at all to worry about.

Gruß, masi1157