dfwjim1
Topic Author

Las Vegas International Airport - Friday

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:31 pm

I am traveling to Las Vegas this coming Friday on American Airlines arriving at 1130 PM. I haven't not been to LAS in 15 years so I am curious as to how busy the airport is at time of the evening. My party and I will be checking in 1 bag each and then renting a car through Budget using their express check in system. At that time of the evening would there be a long wait for our luggage and picking up our car?

FriscoHeavy

Re: Las Vegas International Airport - Friday

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:55 pm

If you "haven't not been", that means you have been. I'm a little confused if you've been in the last 15 years.
Whatever

spacecadet

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Unnecessary pedantry aside, Friday night is one of the busiest times at LAS. But I doubt you'll be waiting much longer than usual; it'll be crowded, but that's not going to delay your bags or your car. See if you can do something with the Budget app to go directly to your car; most car rental companies have this feature now.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

aklrno

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:41 pm

I don't think you will have much of a problem that late in the evening. Most domestic flights will have already arrived. I do wonder if you really want a car. Will you be traveling much out of town? If you are not, and you are staying at a major hotel you will have to pay to park it. Traffic on the Strip is horrendous. If you are sticking to the strip I recommend Uber or Lyft.

timh4000

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 pm

I can't give you anything recent. I've been to LAS 4 times. Did the JFK-LAS red eye once, a delta 757. Saturday night I believe. Arrived around 11. Busy, but everything moved along nicely. It was a week long trip hotel flight and car in one pkg. Same on the way back. E
Everything went smoothly and the flight was super smooth. Interesting side story, the Columbine massacre happened while we were in vegas. The flight was as smooth as you are ever gonna get except for one nasty bout of turbulence (captain gave the plane a heads up on it before it happened.) Now it was likely just the mountainous region BUT it did happen right over the area where the massacre was and my mind did wander to some bad ju ju emanating from there. Anyhow, 10 minutes of nasty shake rattle and roll, then it smoothed back out to basically no turbulence all the way back to JFK. At 6am at JFK-we had to wait awhile for our bus to take us out to our car but flight wise, one of my better flights both there and back.

FriscoHeavy

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:49 pm

timh4000 wrote:
I can't give you anything recent. I've been to LAS 4 times. Did the JFK-LAS red eye once, a delta 757. Saturday night I believe. Arrived around 11. Busy, but everything moved along nicely. It was a week long trip hotel flight and car in one pkg. Same on the way back. E
Everything went smoothly and the flight was super smooth. Interesting side story, the Columbine massacre happened while we were in vegas. The flight was as smooth as you are ever gonna get except for one nasty bout of turbulence (captain gave the plane a heads up on it before it happened.) Now it was likely just the mountainous region BUT it did happen right over the area where the massacre was and my mind did wander to some bad ju ju emanating from there. Anyhow, 10 minutes of nasty shake rattle and roll, then it smoothed back out to basically no turbulence all the way back to JFK. At 6am at JFK-we had to wait awhile for our bus to take us out to our car but flight wise, one of my better flights both there and back.

I really have no idea what the 'smoothness' of the flight has to do with anything... ?

Also, no one can take you seriously when you think that 10 minutes of turbulence had something to do with the 'ju ju' going on at Columbine. The only relevant point you made was that you arrived at 11 pm and it moved along nicely, which is nice, but also 20 years ago, so again, not really relevant.
Whatever

timh4000

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:08 pm

If you had read more carefully, I stated the real reason for the turbulence was the terrain. It was just a story I told and my own experience flying red eyes into and out of LAS. No, not recent, but my experience nonetheless

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:24 pm

aklrno wrote:
I don't think you will have much of a problem that late in the evening. Most domestic flights will have already arrived. I do wonder if you really want a car. Will you be traveling much out of town? If you are not, and you are staying at a major hotel you will have to pay to park it. Traffic on the Strip is horrendous. If you are sticking to the strip I recommend Uber or Lyft.

We are going to take a couple of side trips to Hoover Dam and Area 51.

aklrno

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Area 51? Seriously? Drive for hours to see a tacky souvenir shop in Rachel or Amargosa? That’s as close as you get. You can see more of Area 51 on google maps. If you want to see something about secret work in the desert try the Atomic Testing Museum on East Flamingo Road. I think it is an under-rated gem. If you really want to drive out to something scenic go to Red Rock Canyon and hike around for a while.

When you go to the dam be sure to go early, then try to get tickets for the full dam tour, not just the power plant tour. It costs about $30 per person and will sell out at some point but really worth the effort.

maps4ltd

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm

For American Airlines, you will arrive on the southeastern side of the D gates. You'll take the Blue Line tram to Terminal 1 to retrieve bags there (don't go to T3!). Checkin is at T1 also.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

sprxUSA

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:32 am

I will bet that the biggest hassle for you will be the bus ride from the terminal to the car rental center. :)
Also, there is no such thing as LAs Vegas International Airport..... ;)
Hope your trip is a good one!
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:28 pm

aklrno wrote:
Area 51? Seriously? Drive for hours to see a tacky souvenir shop in Rachel or Amargosa? That’s as close as you get. You can see more of Area 51 on google maps. If you want to see something about secret work in the desert try the Atomic Testing Museum on East Flamingo Road. I think it is an under-rated gem. If you really want to drive out to something scenic go to Red Rock Canyon and hike around for a while.

When you go to the dam be sure to go early, then try to get tickets for the full dam tour, not just the power plant tour. It costs about $30 per person and will sell out at some point but really worth the effort.

Thank you...going to try to talk the family out of Area 51.

aklrno

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:30 pm

If you try to leave the main highway to drive toward Area 51 you will be met by heavily armed men in white pickup trucks. For some tourists that may be an exciting attraction. From your username it looks like you are from Texas. You can probably get the same experience in a supermarket parking lot at home.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:06 am

aklrno wrote:
If you try to leave the main highway to drive toward Area 51 you will be met by heavily armed men in white pickup trucks. For some tourists that may be an exciting attraction. From your username it looks like you are from Texas. You can probably get the same experience in a supermarket parking lot at home.

LOL...I moved to Florida a few years ago but I have not changed my username. I can relate to your comments about Texas though.

blueflyer

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Go to Death Valley instead... better thrills, and you get to drive for hours alongside the border of Nellis. With any luck, you may catch an alien trying to make a run for it.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic