lightmac
Topic Author

Everybody gets three boarding passes in Japan. Why?

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:52 am

In Japan, you get a boarding pass at check-in. So far, so normal. However, if you go through security, you get another boarding pass (on yellow paper). And at the gate, you get yet another boarding pass when actually boarding. All three contain the exact same info, it seems like a waste of paper, no?

spacecadet

Re: Everybody gets three boarding passes in Japan. Why?

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Huh? You only get one boarding pass. At security, you get a receipt that says you passed through security. I don't know what you're referring to at the gate.

You can even print out your boarding pass at home, and that's the same piece of paper that will get you on the plane.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Fuling

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:40 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Huh? You only get one boarding pass. At security, you get a receipt that says you passed through security. I don't know what you're referring to at the gate.

You can even print out your boarding pass at home, and that's the same piece of paper that will get you on the plane.

Yes that's right. Japan loves 'confirmation', so confirming clearance of each boarding stage is given with a slip of paper. You get the regular boarding pass, a receipt of security and a receipt of boarding. However I don't think you can actually check in online for domestic flights, so you'd only get the boarding pass at the airport check in counter. Could be different with an intl connection.

n757kw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:50 am

I just did two international departures from Japan. One from Tokyo Narita and one from Tokyo Haneda. I only got a boarding pass and nothing else.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

seat64k

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:36 pm

lightmac wrote:
In Japan, you get a boarding pass at check-in. So far, so normal. However, if you go through security, you get another boarding pass (on yellow paper). And at the gate, you get yet another boarding pass when actually boarding. All three contain the exact same info, it seems like a waste of paper, no?

Flying from Japan I received only one boarding pass. Maybe that just for flying to the US? After all, the TSA has managed to export their misery to otherwise fine international airports.

Coal

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:42 am

I have flown into Japan from abroad and also flown domestically and never experienced any of this.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

Fuling

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:57 am

Coal wrote:
I have flown into Japan from abroad and also flown domestically and never experienced any of this.

Indeed this is domestic only. How recent was your trip? I did a few domestic hops last month and it was the norm.

spacecadet

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:52 am

Fuling wrote:
However I don't think you can actually check in online for domestic flights, so you'd only get the boarding pass at the airport check in counter.

You absolutely can. I have flown Japan domestically more than a few times on both JAL and SkyMark. I have printed my boarding pass at home and boarded the plane with just that. Of course I got the security line receipt, but no other paper.

The first time I flew JAL domestic, I wrote a blog post about this specifically. You can even see a copy of my boarding pass that I printed out at home before going to the airport: http://www.alphabetcityblog.com/2013/05 ... japan.html

That is what got me on the plane. Note that it specifically says on the boarding pass "no need to check in at the airport!" You scan the QR code on the top left of that page at the gate just like with any other boarding pass.

There's no need to do anything but go through security and then show this paper at the gate.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

hodavid1985

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:53 am

Fuling wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

Yes that's right. Japan loves 'confirmation', so confirming clearance of each boarding stage is given with a slip of paper. You get the regular boarding pass, a receipt of security and a receipt of boarding. However I don't think you can actually check in online for domestic flights, so you'd only get the boarding pass at the airport check in counter. Could be different with an intl connection.

You can bypass the check-in counter by using the FFP card, or even the QR code from the reservation email at the security check,
at that point the will print out the boarding pass to you.

Fuling

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:23 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Fuling wrote:
However I don't think you can actually check in online for domestic flights, so you'd only get the boarding pass at the airport check in counter.

You absolutely can. I have flown Japan domestically more than a few times on both JAL and SkyMark. I have printed my boarding pass at home and boarded the plane with just that. Of course I got the security line receipt, but no other paper.

The first time I flew JAL domestic, I wrote a blog post about this specifically. You can even see a copy of my boarding pass that I printed out at home before going to the airport: http://www.alphabetcityblog.com/2013/05 ... japan.html

That is what got me on the plane. Note that it specifically says on the boarding pass "no need to check in at the airport!" You scan the QR code on the top left of that page at the gate just like with any other boarding pass.

There's no need to do anything but go through security and then show this paper at the gate.

I should have said, my trips were with NH sorry. Maybe times have changed since 2013, I just checked the websites and found nothing for domestic online check in currently.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/domestic/prepare/checkin/

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/boarding/

Both mention the express service which looks like something I'll try out next time.

seat64k

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:00 pm

I just flew to, from, and around Japan. One boarding pass on each occasion.

lightmac
Topic Author

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Well, for a domestic trip -at least on ANA- you get THREE boarding passes/confirmations on paper as stated.

bfitzflyer

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:13 pm

Just flew NRT to SEA this past week only one boarding pass

maint123

Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Haneda to Bali last week, don't remember the number of boarding passes.

vhqpa

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:45 am

I flew NH HND-CTS this morning and can confirm three pieces of paper (not counting checked baggage receipt, otherwise four). One checking in, the big yellow one just as you're about to clear security, then another once your boarding pass has been scanned at the gate. What I found odd is the big yellow paper for security clearance. It says quite prominently in English "Please do not lose this certificate" along with signage at the security saying you need to hold onto it. But it was never checked again.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:53 pm

I do believe there are some new security procedure at Japanese airports, I guess in preparation for the Olympics?

When I flew NRT-CTS and CTS-HND in September, I only got the standard boarding pass and nothing else.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

vhqpa

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:59 am

Further to my previous post I flew the return CTS-HND on JL and only received the one boarding pass. That boarding pass was then scanned at security like in Europe, then once again boarding at the gate.

So I'm guessing the three boarding passes is an ANA thing. I guess I'll find out on Thursday when I fly them again ITM-HND.

As a side note I was really impressed by JAL. The inbound flight was late departing HND resulting in a 35 minute delay. In addition to a JPY 500 voucher, they also offered to put me on the earlier service. I politely declined as I wanted to fly on their new domestic A350. Wasn't expecting that much from such a relatively minor delay.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Tabito

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:26 am

In case of ANA domestic boarding procedure at HND,
I always use mobile phone with IC functionality for boarding, so I don't have paper "Barding pass".
When pass through security check point, receive "Security certificate" (small pink paper).
And pass through the boarding gate, receive another "Boarding Information Slip" (yellow paper with seat number).