Xccc
Topic Author

Why doesn't KL and BA fly to Casablanca(CMN)?

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:13 pm

I was just wondering why doesn't KL and BA fly CMN while there is enough passengers on routes like LHR-CMN or AMS-CMN

BasilFawlty

Re: Why doesn't KL and BA fly to Casablanca(CMN)?

Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:40 am

HV operates AMS-CMN with KL codesharing.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

RobertS975

Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:52 am

But Transavia does not recognize any SkyTeam partners and does not interline as far as I know.

Dieuwer

Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:20 am

Xccc wrote:
I was just wondering why doesn't KL and BA fly CMN while there is enough passengers on routes like LHR-CMN or AMS-CMN

BA flies to RAK. More interesting destination than CMN. I assume there is just not enough business demand to also fly to CMN.

VSMUT

Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:48 am

RobertS975 wrote:
But Transavia does not recognize any SkyTeam partners and does not interline as far as I know.

I believe they do codeshare, you just don't get any miles or frequent flyer benefits. This is a bit like the Silk Air / Singapore Airlines relationship and Lufthansa / Eurowings. A pain in the rear.

BTW, KLM can also codeshare you through CDG on Air France.

factsonly

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:56 am

Pre-liberalisation of the Marocco-EU bilateral, in the days that scheduled air transport was basically for the two national carriers, KLM operated to CMN for decades with DC9S, DC8S, A310 and B737.

Routes included:

- AMS-CMN-FNA-ROB DC8-63/A310
- AMS-LIS-CMN DC9-15
- AMS-TNG-CMN DC9-30
- AMS-CMN B737

Today, in the liberalised market place, low yield holiday / VFR travel dominates traffic between EU-Marocco, so the route is better suited to HV.

SCQ83

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:56 am

It is likely a mix of factors:

- UK and Netherlands do not have major historical business / political connections with Morocco like France or even Spain have. NL has a big VFR Moroccan community but that is better served with low-costs and maybe airports other than CMN.

- Royal Air Maroc flies from CMN to AMS, LGW and LHR so whatever premium traffic there is can fly in there. RAM is moving into Oneworld so that will strength relations with BA at LHR.

- CMN is served by partner airlines Iberia (BA) from MAD and Air France (KLM) from CDG.

Momo1435

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:15 am

SCQ83 wrote:
It is likely a mix of factors:

- UK and Netherlands do not have major historical business / political connections with Morocco like France or even Spain have. NL has a big VFR Moroccan community but that is better served with low-costs and maybe airports other than CMN.

The majority of the Moroccan community in the Netherlands has their roots in the Rif area in the north of Morocco. You can see this in how most of airports in that area, like Tangier, Fez and Nardor, they all have direct charter/LCC flights to Amsterdam, Rotterdam and/or Eindhoven.

gabrielchew

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:43 am

There's a lot of UK-MA traffic, but it's nearly all tourist/VFR. And Casablanca isn't a tourist draw for Brits. Bmi operated LHR-CMN for a while, but it obviously wasn't strong enough for BA to maintain.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Xccc
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:37 am

Do you think that BA is starting LHR-CMN in the future when RAM joins OW?

peterinlisbon

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 am

I don't think they'd want to do that because there is a lot of competition on routes to Morocco and fares are really low. Ryanair is flying Rabat-STN as well as lot of other routes.

SueD

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:12 am

RAM also serve Manchester from Casablanca and RAM invitation to join Oneworld is very much predicated on development of beyond Casablanca connections to West and Central Africa imho
To that affect I would see BA resume flights in the not to distant future to honest

vaughanparry

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:22 am

gabrielchew wrote:
There's a lot of UK-MA traffic, but it's nearly all tourist/VFR. And Casablanca isn't a tourist draw for Brits. Bmi operated LHR-CMN for a while, but it obviously wasn't strong enough for BA to maintain.

I think you might mean GB Airways - I regularly flew LHR-CMN with them 2004-06 - apologies if I'm mistaken :-)

gabrielchew

Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:27 pm

vaughanparry wrote:
gabrielchew wrote:

I think you might mean GB Airways - I regularly flew LHR-CMN with them 2004-06 - apologies if I'm mistaken :-)

Nope, bmi flew there (with me onboard) circa 2012.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Cunard

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:42 am

British United Airways originally flew from LGW to CMM. British United Airways and Caledonian Airways merged in 1970 to form British Caledonian Airways, LGW to CMM was then a BCAL route right up until the merger with BA in 1988.

BA discontinued LGW to CMM and GB Airways started the route when it was a British Airways franchise. When EZY acquired GB Airways they continued LGW to CMM for one season only.

BMI started LHR to CMM and the route continued after the take over by BA only to be dropped about eighteen months later.

Once RAM officially joins Oneworld I can see British Airways resuming their own flight from LHR to CMM.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.