oldannyboy
Topic Author

An-24s in regular pax schedule?

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:31 am

Dear fellow A.netters,

While I do know that there still is a relatively large (but dwindling!) number of An-24s flying (mostly on cargo flights), I was wondering what the numbers of An-24s still regularly plying the skies on published schedules might be, and where these are (airlines/routes).

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Also any first-hand experience of your Antonov flights you may want to share would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Danny

Replay35

Re: An-24s in regular pax schedule?

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:44 am

Hi there ;)

I had two AN-24 flights last August with Motor Sich Airlines in Ukraine. One from Lviv to Kiev and Kiev to Odessa ;)

The fun part is, you got two pilots, one cabin crew and a operator sitting in the back of the plane. When you visit the toilet, you can see your luggage in the back of the plane. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to take a picture of that. If you would like I can take some time to upload some pictures. It was a great experience!

SCQ83

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:53 am

Replay35 wrote:
Hi there ;)

I had two AN-24 flights last August with Motor Sich Airlines in Ukraine. One from Lviv to Kiev and Kiev to Odessa ;)

The fun part is, you got two pilots, one cabin crew and a operator sitting in the back of the plane. When you visit the toilet, you can see your luggage in the back of the plane. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to take a picture of that. If you would like I can take some time to upload some pictures. It was a great experience!

Any idea how long will those planes stay flying? That is a trip I need to take before those planes are grounded!

PlymSpotter

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:56 am

There are lots across the backwaters of Russia still, the occasional service in Central Asia and of course the brilliant Motor Sich operation in Ukraine.

To be honest, unless there is mandatory regulation dictating an end to service, I can't see the An-24 being fully retired in the next 20 years. Up in the backwaters there are still An-2s being flown commercially, because it's the only (local) type suitable. Same goes for the An-24, there are some airports where it is literally the only option going.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

CrimsonNL

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:24 pm

I absolutely love the AN-24, flown on 5 different ones with 3 airlines. It's not exactly comfortable and the noise is deafening, but it has this incredibly solid and reliable feeling to it! Like you're sitting in a flying tank! I usually wear earplugs when I'm on one. I've tried listening to music with earbuds, and found that the prop noise actually warps the sound of the music, causing the whole song to sound different :D I like the cabins with open hat racks and window curtains best.

I can highly recommend the Motor Sich flights in Ukraine, they are a great airline with good service. Quite cheap too. The cities they fly to are all worth a visit on their own!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Replay35 wrote:
Hi there ;)

Oh, wow! Thanks! I'd absolutely love that!! Thanks!!
tell me, how is flying the old beast like?? Noisy??

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:35 pm

CrimsonNL wrote:
I absolutely love the AN-24, flown on 5 different ones with 3 airlines. It's not exactly comfortable and the noise is deafening, but it has this incredibly solid and reliable feeling to it! Like you're sitting in a flying tank! I usually wear earplugs when I'm on one. I've tried listening to music with earbuds, and found that the prop noise actually warps the sound of the music, causing the whole song to sound different :D I like the cabins with open hat racks and window curtains best.

I can highly recommend the Motor Sich flights in Ukraine, they are a great airline with good service. Quite cheap too. The cities they fly to are all worth a visit on their own!

Martijn

:checkmark: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Wowww...amazing..Thanks!

Yeah, I'd like to try Motor Sich too....

FCRO

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Flew aerogaviota from havana to cayo largo and back this year (january)
Wrote a flight report in a brazilian forum but unfortunately the site went down

LH748

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:19 pm

I can highly recommend to fly with Motor Sich. In July I had the pleasure of flying 3 of their An24 routes and it was amazing. It's a pure adventure and I will do it again
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

Phosphorus

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Ditto for Motor Sich. Don't forget, with Motor Sich an enthusiast has access to vintage types like An-24 and Yak-40, rare type An-140, and if you are really lucky -- you could get a substitution to Coando-effect An-74.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

davidjohnson6

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:33 pm

If you want to fly the Y-40, you're best off trying to fly between Uzhhorod and Kiev. If anyone knows of a reliable way to catch an An-26 (occasional charter) or An-74, please post it here - I'd be very interested

It felt very cool to arrive on an An-24 in Minsk with Motor Sich, and then see a preserved An-24 as a museum piece immediately outside Minsk airport and realise I had just flown on one

The number of people on flightmemory.com who seem to have needed to fly with Motor Sich to/from Zaporizhia is remarkably high
Zaporizhia airport is well worth a visit for all kinds of ancient aircraft lying around. It also has a museum of aero engines

Zaporizhia is seeing a new terminal being built. The old terminal was (I think) from the 1960s and really felt decrepit - then again if long-past-their-expiry-date Soviet air terminals make you happy, you know where to go !

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If you want to fly the Y-40, you're best off trying to fly between Uzhhorod and Kiev. If anyone knows of a reliable way to catch an An-26 (occasional charter) or An-74, please post it here - I'd be very interested

It felt very cool to arrive on an An-24 in Minsk with Motor Sich, and then see a preserved An-24 as a museum piece immediately outside Minsk airport and realise I had just flown on one

The number of people on flightmemory.com who seem to have needed to fly with Motor Sich to/from Zaporizhia is remarkably high
Zaporizhia airport is well worth a visit for all kinds of ancient aircraft lying around. It also has a museum of aero engines

Zaporizhia is seeing a new terminal being built. The old terminal was (I think) from the 1960s and really felt decrepit - then again if long-past-their-expiry-date Soviet air terminals make you happy, you know where to go !

Thanks for the tips!!!!

MHG

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:57 pm

@oldannyboy
Don´t know where you are based but flying Motor Sich in Ukraine is likely your best and certainly easiest choice (no need to obtain a visa for most western country citizens unlike Russia)

It´s easy in particular because Motor Sich has a properly and reliably working website in English (alongside their Ukrainian/Russian version).
The website does accept foreign credit cards and after booking you will receive a proper PDF with your ticket.
It is even possible to do online check-in on the website (although I have never tried that so far - always went to the airport for check-in)

No matter which route you choose you´ll be assured to fly in a Soviet era / Eastern European aircraft type since Motor Sich does not operate any western types.
The majority of flights is performed by AN-24 but for the time being UZH-IEV is scheduled to be operated by YAK-40.
Their single AN-140 serves primarily either OZH-MSQ or IEV-ODS (and OZH-BOJ during summer holiday season only)
... and finally the An-74TK is actually only a back-up for passenger routes as it is mainly used for cargo flights (AN-74TK is the equivalent to Boeing´s B737-200QC version)
So, you need to be lucky to experience a flight on it.

But be warned Motor Sich frequently switches aircraft between routes at short notice no matter what their website tells you at the time you book your flight(s).

... and finally regarding the experience:
I found their aircraft to be in pretty good shape and they seemed to be well maintained.
Of course they can´t hide their age but that´s part of the experience to go back into a 1960`s or 1970´s cabin.
Other than that I don´t agree to Crimson NL stating that the AN-24 is very noisy.
During my most recent flights with them (09/2017) I paid attention to the noise level in particular and found it to be on par with western turboprops of the same era like F-27 / HS-748 (or even first generation ATR´s).
Motor Sich´s staff have been neutral but most of the time friendly - and definately not alien towards aviation fans.
They are likely already used to the crazy western guys flying with Motor Sich because of their old aircraft.
Replay35 wrote:
Hi there ;)

I don´t think there was an operator (what should he be operating ???) in the back but rather a mechanic able to perform some maintenance at outstations (IEV and ODS ar "outstations" for Motor Sich as their homebase is Zaporizhia/OZH).
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

debonair

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:49 pm

Otherwise you can try ANGARA AIRLINES, great little airline with only Antonov manufactured planes. Best chance to catch an Antonov... :bigthumbsup:

Loran

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:09 pm

I have flown the AH-24 with Aircompany SCAT, Air Koryo, KrasAvia, Alrosa, Motor Sich, also the AH-26 with KrasAvia and AeroGaviota.

As others have mentioned still many around. Also worth looking at the eastern half of Russia, always a pleasure to fly in deepest Siberia, but Motor Sich is probably the easiest to start off with. Enjoy them while you can.

Regards,
Loran
703 717 727 732-9 747 757 767 777 787 AB2/6 310 318-321 330 340 359 380 D8M D91/3/5 D1C M11 M81-90 L10 IL1/8/6/7/W/9/4 TU3/5/2 YK4/2