https://abc7.com/travel/lax-to-end-curb ... s/5589730/

MavyWavyATR

Re: LAX to end curbside pick-ups by rideshare companies, taxis

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:40 am

This isn't gonna end well.

janders

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:41 am

Really no different than BOS, SFO, LAS, LGA that moved ride shares away from the curb.

Imo great move as they create incredible congestion (in LAX case more than 1 in 4 vehicles at the airport).
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

spudsmac

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 am

For years I've been saying that LAX needs to ban personal vehicles from the Horseshoe of Misery. Only allow permitted vehicles such as shuttle buses, taxis, Uber/Lyft, rental car shuttles. Have an off site drop off/pick up lot and have buses take passengers to/from the terminals.

I guess LAWA decided to go hard in the one direction that will make me and others like me even less likely to fly out of there and instead fly out of other airports.

LAXintl

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:01 am

TNC's are a major traffic nuisance. YTD they represented 29.4% of vehicle movements in the CTA.

Anyhow this initial move is simply temporary. Once the new ITF (intermodal transportation facility) opens in 2021 such picks up will be done off the airport entirely.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

maverick4002

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 am

janders wrote:
Really no different than BOS, SFO, LAS, LGA that moved ride shares away from the curb.

Imo great move as they create incredible congestion (in LAX case more than 1 in 4 vehicles at the airport).

Whats the curb? Because you can call / get dropped off at LGA right up to the sidewalk that leads into the terminal. I've done it twice in the past two weeks

UPlog

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:07 am

Bravo LAX and every other airport that has decided to move the plague of rideshares away from central airport roadways. :praise: :praise:

thekorean

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:08 am

People Mover cannot open fast enough, will make it a LOT BETTER.

DarthLobster

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:17 am

The west coast's worst airport finds a way to sink even lower.

747-600X

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 am

Sorry, but what's the point of a CURB in the first place if not to GET PICKED UP? I didn't fly there to walk to my final destination. Does it matter whether I'm being picked up by family or friends or a rideshare? What choices am I going to have left? I mean, what vehicles are *supposed* to use the roadway?

alasizon

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:30 am

DarthLobster wrote:
The west coast's worst airport finds a way to sink even lower.

For many locals that are picking up and dropping off, this will be a welcome improvement; particularly for those using TBIT and T4. It can take 30+ minutes to get from T3 to T4 by vehicle.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

wjcandee

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:36 am

"The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone."

"No, the white zone is for loading and unloading, and there is no stopping in a red zone."

"The red zone has always been for loading and unloading."

"Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading."

"Look Betty, don't start up with your white zone s--t again. There's just no stopping in a white zone."

"Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend? We both know perfectly well what this is about: you want me to have an abortion!"

"It's really the only sensible thing to do. If its done safely, therapeutically, there's no danger involved."
Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DfwRevolution

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:42 am

1.) If anyone says they have an easy solution to this problem, their wrong.

2.) Many solutions proposed do not consider - or trivialize - unintended impacts. It is possible to make the situation worse.

3.) Uber and Lyft largely serve to substitute for other personal vehicles - taxi, friend, family - so expect the congestion relief to be minimal after travelers adapt to the new policy.

4.) Good friggin luck with the people mover making a serious difference.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

JakubH

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:03 am

This comes with the inefficiency of cars dropping off passengers not being able to pick up anyone on the way out of the terminal area.

If it were possible to enable pickups by cars already dropping passengers in the area, with additional pickup opportunities outside of the terminal area, I think everybody would be better off.

Of course, this would require coordination with Lyft and Uber in their app design (e.g. have a surcharge for curbside pickup and a normal rate for pickup at the remote parking lot)...
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
C. S. Lewis

usflyer msp

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:19 am

JakubH wrote:
This comes with the inefficiency of cars dropping off passengers not being able to pick up anyone on the way out of the terminal area.

If it were possible to enable pickups by cars already dropping passengers in the area, with additional pickup opportunities outside of the terminal area, I think everybody would be better off.

Of course, this would require coordination with Lyft and Uber in their app design (e.g. have a surcharge for curbside pickup and a normal rate for pickup at the remote parking lot)...

LAX does have this for both Uber and Lyft drivers. It is called rematch.

timpdx

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:20 am

This will go over like a lead balloon.

1)I find the hotel and parking shuttles are the worst offenders, all the time swinging in and blocking 2-3 lanes to pick up. Real A holes, most of them.

2)The article says frequent shuttles and tha ability to walk there, that can only mean old Lot C? (Which I have had to walk to when said shuttles passed me at United time and time again overstuffed and unwilling to stop)

How exactly is any of those narrow 2 lane side streets by lot C going to handle the onslaught of taxis and ubers? It’s going to be worse than the loop.

3)The people mover can’t come soon enough!
Last edited by timpdx on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

Francoflier

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:21 am

Good to see LAX is doing something to ease traffic around World Way, which can get absolutely ridiculous at certain times of the day.

The priority should be on more efficient forms of transportation (in relation to pax/vehicle). Having one car picking up every single of the 200.000+ pax that use the airport everyday is a recipe for disaster in the congested space around the LAX terminals.

Getting rid of the pedestrian crossings on ground/arrival level (making them aerial or underground) and associated traffic lights would also help.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

timpdx

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:22 am

timpdx wrote:
This will go over like a lead balloon.

1)I find the hotel and parking shuttles are the worst offenders, all the time swinging in and blocking 2-3 lanes to pick up. Real A holes

2)The article says frequent shuttles and tha ability to walk there, that can only mean old Lot C? (Which I have had to walk to when said shuttles passed me at United time and time again overstuffed and unwilling to stop)

How exactly is any of those narrow 2 lane side streets by lot C going to handle the onslaught of taxis and ubers? It’s going to be worse than the loop.

3)The people mover can’t come soon enough!
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

JakubH

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:42 am

usflyer msp wrote:
JakubH wrote:

LAX does have this for both Uber and Lyft drivers. It is called rematch.

So why ban those cars from picking up passengers? That's terribly inefficient.
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
C. S. Lewis

TTailedTiger

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:52 am

Why are major airports in major cities like LAX, JFK, and LGA in such a dilapidated state? Why have they waited so long to make improvements? Cities like Atlanta, Denver, and Orlando figured out better terminal designs decades ago.

sonicruiser

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:05 am

This is an astoundingly stupid move.

I can guarantee you that whoever thought of this idea has not actually tried it because anyone who did will take about 30 seconds to realize that any real implemention of this will be atrocious. I couldn't have come up with an idea this stupid if you paid me. Everyone knows its the shuttles clogging up World Way that are the problem. Meanwhile the people mover is nowhere close to being finished, so somehow the solution is to ban curbside pickups and add more shuttles instead!!!!???!!!! Man you can't make this stuff up.

ikramerica

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:06 am

I’ve been saying for quite some time that the big difference between now and pre-911 at LAX is the rise of uber clogging the roadways. Back then people were far more likely to take super shuttle and equivalent, or flyaway, or off airport parking. But when you take a shuttle full of people and put them in individual cars, you clog up the road.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

usflyer msp

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:12 am

sonicruiser wrote:
This is an astoundingly stupid move.

I can guarantee you that whoever thought of this idea has not actually tried it because anyone who did will take about 30 seconds to realize that any real implemention of this will be atrocious. I couldn't have come up with an idea this stupid if you paid me. Everyone knows its the shuttles clogging up World Way that are the problem. Meanwhile the people mover is nowhere close to being finished, so somehow the solution is to ban curbside pickups and add more shuttles instead!!!!???!!!! Man you can't make this stuff up.

It is not stupid, the math works. A bus takes the same curb space as three TNC cars but can carry 50 people instead of 3. It should be great step in reducing curbside congestion.

LAXintl

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:25 am

Courtesy shuttle buses for hotels, car rental, and private parking lots made up 6% of CTA traffic in 2018. Add in LAWA buses, FlyAway, and other shared rides like Super Shuttle we are up to merely 8.3% of CTA traffic total. Far more efficient use of roadway capacity than TNCs.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MrBretz

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:03 am

So you can still be dropped off but must go to a common area for pickup. I dunno...I know it’s a mess there. I always feel I am in a foreign country when I am there. I try to avoid LAX but just can’t sometimes. I may try harder to avoid it in the future.

B747forever

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:11 am

After yet another hellish summer of clogged up traffic in the horseshoe, it is good they are trying something. Seems that Uber/Lyft drop offs will still happen at the curb, so it might not reduce traffic as much as some hope. But even a drop of 1/6 in vehicle traffic will be an improvement.

They are also shuffling what the inner/outer curbs will be used for: https://3rxg9qea18zhtl6s2u8jammft-wpeng ... visory.pdf

Quite surprised they will have private vehicles pick up passengers from the outer curbs. Will be a lot of people crossing the two inner lanes to get to the outer island, and I don't know how they will hold a majority of arriving pax. Those islands aren't exactly that big. Also wonder how this move to the outer curb will affect the traffic flow on the lower level.
Work Hard, Fly Right

cynlb
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:19 am

I remember a few years ago while I was waiting for my shuttle to the parking lot a man asked me where to find the shuttle bus that goes to the other terminals. I honestly didn't know which one because there are so many buses going around and they look the same

cynlb
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:29 am

wjcandee wrote:
"The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone."

"No, the white zone is for loading and unloading, and there is no stopping in a red zone."

"Look Betty, don't start up with your white zone s--t again. There's just no stopping in a white zone."

"Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend? We both know perfectly well what this is about: you want me to have an abortion!"

"It's really the only sensible thing to do. If its done safely, therapeutically, there's no danger involved."

LOL
https://youtu.be/mvYOTz5n6GI

MrBretz

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:33 am

We need more info here. The LATimes article says they are banning Uber/Lyft. I think we need more information.

B747forever

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 am

MrBretz wrote:
We need more info here. The LATimes article says they are banning Uber/Lyft. I think we need more information.

Here you go

https://3rxg9qea18zhtl6s2u8jammft-wpeng ... visory.pdf
Work Hard, Fly Right

foxalphazulu

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:39 am

Finally!

It took me 25 minutes (yes 25 minutes!) to get out of the horseshoe last time because of people getting picked up at the curb. I am Lyft user myself, and I think it is far more efficient to walk a little to an assigned spot away from the airport to catch your ride. This is because, when getting picked up, drivers and riders are looking for each other and it takes time to get your luggage and yourself situated. All that causes congestion.

Drop offs on the other hand are way quicker, and continue to be allowed.

Bravo LAX!

Bonus - a friend of mine took a shared lyft ride (which means you agree to ride along with other riders heading in the general direction you're going in). The lyft app routed the driver back to the terminal through the horseshoe 3 times to pick up a rider who had just added themselves to the queue! Took him 40 minutes to get out of the airport.

SurfandSnow

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:08 am

*Something* drastic had to be done before opening the TBIT Midfield Satellite Concourse, given that the Automated People Mover won't be open until 2023. It never ceases to amaze how many younger people living and working in LA rely exclusively on rideshare services like Uber and Lyft rather than having a personal car - after all, both registration and car insurance are very expensive in California compared to most other states. As such, I think this change could have a bigger impact on traffic to, from and within LAX than many people realize. If this really is such a big deal to travelers, maybe people really will shift their business to airports like BUR, LGB and even ONT. I live in West Hollywood and haven't used LAX at all in 2019. BUR is just such a better experience all around.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

airlineaddict

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:33 am

I totally agree that the traffic in the loop at LAX is out of hand... especially with the holidays around the corner.

With that said, the new rules smack of elitism since TCPs (executive cars and limos) will be allowed to pick up at the curb.

Jamake1

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:16 am

wjcandee wrote:

LOL! Thanks for that ride (no pun) down memory lane. You gave me a good belly laugh...
Come fly the sun.

jomur

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:54 am

Most airports I've used don't drop off outside the terminal buildings and I've survived. It isn't a big thing, so what if you have to walk a bit further, for the vast majority it isn't a hardship to walk.....

Maybe use something like the Pods at Heathrow T5 to get from the remote drop off points to terminal buildings?

Polot

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:06 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Why are major airports in major cities like LAX, JFK, and LGA in such a dilapidated state? Why have they waited so long to make improvements? Cities like Atlanta, Denver, and Orlando figured out better terminal designs decades ago.

And ATL, who figured out better terminal design years ago, also does not allow curbside pickup for ride share companies, with pickup being at a designated area in the middle of a parking lot...

ltbewr

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:47 am

Security and safety, especially after 9/11, are also other reason to reduce the number of vehicles close to airport terminal buildings.

lightsaber

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 am

jomur wrote:
Most airports I've used don't drop off outside the terminal buildings and I've survived. It isn't a big thing, so what if you have to walk a bit further, for the vast majority it isn't a hardship to walk.....

Maybe use something like the Pods at Heathrow T5 to get from the remote drop off points to terminal buildings?

If there was a working alternative, that would be great.

This is a rule with huge unintended consequences.

This is a rule mandated by not expanding the airport. How about more curb space and the proposed T0 and new UA terminal with a proper road network?

The people mover is a stop gap. The economy of this city is dependent on air transit. There is a reason my employer has moved so many jobs out of state.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

jfklganyc

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:06 am

That shuttle bus is going to take forever.

Comparing it to ATL is a joke. When you walk out of the the terminal to the lot to a designated spot...you are easy. Just like ATL is easy.

When you are a a hell hole like LAX or LGA and you need to reach an Uber spot on a shuttle bus that is a half mile away, that designated spot might as well be Neptune.

Aeroflot777

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:55 am

SFO has done this recently, and as a frequent flyer, I welcome the change. Like proposed at LAX, ride share companies can drop off at the curb, but must pick up at designated areas. It has come with some large growing pains, but overall, the curb seems a bit decongested.

The one difference here though, at SFO, passengers can easily walk to the designated pick up location via underground tunnel + elevator. We don't have to deal with a shuttle bus (albeit temporary) to get us to the common area.

Pyrex

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:02 pm

airlineaddict wrote:
I totally agree that the traffic in the loop at LAX is out of hand... especially with the holidays around the corner.

With that said, the new rules smack of elitism since TCPs (executive cars and limos) will be allowed to pick up at the curb.

This is LA, after all, home of Hollywood. The kind of people that fly their private jets half way around the world to lecture us all on how we need to stop going on vacation to Florida and Hawaii. Continuing to allow limos while banning Uber and Lyft actually sounds like completely in character.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

MIflyer12

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:35 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

PIT ('87-92), ATL (late 70s), DTW (late 90s into 2008), DEN (early 90s), and AUS as another example, had the land available for complete do-overs. Other airports are still chugging along with footprints established in the 1930s-50s. If you own, oh, 35,000+ flat contiguous acres in the LA Basin without approach/departure flight restrictions and with immediate multiple freeway and Metro access I'm sure LAWA would like to hear from you.

PHLspecial

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:57 pm

I can see more people moved to the terminals quicker than person vehicles and higher throughput. Personal vehicles just waste more lanes.

Dieuwer

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:06 pm

The problem is the absence of high quality public transport. Where are the state-of-the-art subway lines running directly under the main concourses of US airports with station embarkation within steps of check-in? Go to say e.g. AMS and look how it is done.

airbazar

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
The problem is the absence of high quality public transport. Where are the state-of-the-art subway lines running directly under the main concourses of US airports with station embarkation within steps of check-in? Go to say e.g. AMS and look how it is done.

This is the U.S. we're talking about and California at that. If you can't drive there, "there" may as well not exist. It's not a total shocker that I see people here claim that a single user vehicle is a more efficient method to transport people than a 50 person bus because, LA :rotfl:
It's not a perfect move but it's a necessary one. When it takes longer to get in/out of the airport than your flight takes then we know there's a serious problem. It took me close to 1 hour on the rental car shuttle to travel the short distance between the rental car drop off and the terminal.

WayexTDI

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:45 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

PIT ('87-92), ATL (late 70s), DTW (late 90s into 2008), DEN (early 90s), and AUS as another example, had the land available for complete do-overs. Other airports are still chugging along with footprints established in the 1930s-50s. If you own, oh, 35,000+ flat contiguous acres in the LA Basin without approach/departure flight restrictions and with immediate multiple freeway and Metro access I'm sure LAWA would like to hear from you.

2 words for you: eminent domain.

kaitak

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:46 pm

wjcandee wrote:

Ah, you beat me to it! They'll have to revise that to agree that there's never parking in the white or red zone!

WayexTDI

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:48 pm

airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

This is the U.S. we're talking about and California at that. If you can't drive there, "there" may as well not exist. It's not a total shocker that I see people here claim that a single user vehicle is a more efficient method to transport people than a 50 person bus because, LA :rotfl:
It's not a perfect move but it's a necessary one. When it takes longer to get in/out of the airport than your flight takes then we know there's a serious problem. It took me close to 1 hour on the rental car shuttle to travel the short distance between the rental car drop off and the terminal.

Then LAX need to ban ALL personal cars, not just rideshare & taxis.

blockski

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:17 pm

lightsaber wrote:
jomur wrote:

If there was a working alternative, that would be great.

This is a rule with huge unintended consequences.

This is a rule mandated by not expanding the airport. How about more curb space and the proposed T0 and new UA terminal with a proper road network?

The people mover is a stop gap. The economy of this city is dependent on air transit. There is a reason my employer has moved so many jobs out of state.

Lightsaber

This is the working alternative.

This is also not a problem created by a lack of airport expansion - this is specific to the rise of ride-hail services. It's a common problem across lots of airports, where curb space will always be a scarce resource. Cars in general are spatially inefficient ways to move people; Uber/Lyft are moreso because of the deadhead movements and the specific matching between driver and rider.

Taxis present a lot of the same challenges, so years ago, most airports dealt with them via taxi queues. That's what this is - a modern version of a taxi queue to handle the immense costs imposed by these services.

nine4nine

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Why not widen the upper horseshoe with islands and ped bridges therefore eliminating crosswalks and lights. Having colors coded dedicated lanes for shuttles, ride share pick up/drop off, and general traffic on both levels. The city should run both a red line subway stop and blue line and yellow line elevated rail line to the center of the airport near the landmark arch structure. All of that coupled with the air train (which should have been added decades ago) should add much more efficiency in my opinion.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120