Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
usdcaguy
Topic Author
Posts: 1537
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:41 pm

Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:19 pm

Recently, I wanted to buy some seat assignments from IB. I called the number for them multiple times and found nobody who spoke English after pressing the number for agents who speak the language. Has anybody else had this issue? Very bizarre that a global carrier owned by IAG would not have English-speaking agents. Seems like the solution would be to have a call center in the States or in the British Isles.
 
aldrigsomandre
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:30 am

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:17 pm

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from?
The United States?
 
bennett123
Posts: 9799
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:47 pm

If there Call Centre options include English speaker, and you select that option, you should be talking to someone who speaks English.

Simple really.
 
B747forever
Posts: 13851
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:54 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, where are you from?
The United States?


Why does that matter?

If the op has called IB and chose the option for English, then if course you expect a English speaking agent.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
aldrigsomandre
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:30 am

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:17 pm

B747forever wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, where are you from?
The United States?


Why does that matter?

If the op has called IB and chose the option for English, then if course you expect a English speaking agent.


Not why I asked, depending on your region, you get connected to different call centres which have the language that you have selected. There might have been a system issue.
 
User avatar
usdcaguy
Topic Author
Posts: 1537
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:41 pm

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:56 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, where are you from?
The United States?


Yes, I’m from the US. While I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be expected to speak Spanish in Spain, calling a 1-800 Stateside and not getting an English speaker when pressing the number for English is truly daft.
 
vfw614
Posts: 3852
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:33 am

What do you exaclty mean with "found nobody"? Were you connected to someone unable to speak English or did your language selection result in the call not getting answered?
 
User avatar
usdcaguy
Topic Author
Posts: 1537
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:41 pm

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:48 am

vfw614 wrote:
What do you exaclty mean with "found nobody"? Were you connected to someone unable to speak English or did your language selection result in the call not getting answered?


The language selection resulted in my being transferred to someone who only spoke Spanish and no English.
 
User avatar
AirAfreak
Posts: 997
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 am

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 am

The toll free numbers for customers calling from the U.S.A. such as 1-800-SPAIN-IB (Iberia) or 1-800-AF-PARIS (Air France), for example, would automatically direct my call to a reservations sales agent at a call center located abroad; specifically during the evening hours.

For example, during the 1990’s when I dialed 1-800-AIRWAYS to speak with a British Airways Agent, I would reach the New York City Office during the daytime hours. Calling the toll-free BA reservations number at night time (Eastern Standard Time) would yield a BA Agent (with English Accent) on the telephone from the Hounslow Office in the U.K.

So this could be a possible explanation as to why you were directed to a non-English speaking agent; perhaps the limited availability of English speaking agents at Iberia overseas offices.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3374
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:34 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
The toll free numbers for customers calling from the U.S.A. such as 1-800-SPAIN-IB (Iberia) or 1-800-AF-PARIS (Air France), for example, would automatically direct my call to a reservations sales agent at a call center located abroad; specifically during the evening hours.

For example, during the 1990’s when I dialed 1-800-AIRWAYS to speak with a British Airways Agent, I would reach the New York City Office during the daytime hours. Calling the toll-free BA reservations number at night time (Eastern Standard Time) would yield a BA Agent (with English Accent) on the telephone from the Hounslow Office in the U.K.

So this could be a possible explanation as to why you were directed to a non-English speaking agent; perhaps the limited availability of English speaking agents at Iberia overseas offices.


Off topic question but do airlines still source their call agents or they outsource them to other countries now?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.
 
Delta777Jet
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2000 6:19 am

Re: Iberia Phone Agents Not Speaking English

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 pm

I’ve worked for Lufthansa’s call center before , and I think speaking English in aviation is a must ! We all spoke German and English and most of us a third language ! Only offering service is Spanish sounds not right !
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KLMatSJC and 30 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos