backpackerjohn
Topic Author

Finding Cheap Flights

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:03 am

Hey guys! New here so I hope this is the right place to post this.

I am trying everything to find cheap flights for early November, I want to take my mother on a trip to Europe. We want to go to Spain and Portugal (But open to anywhere with a good deal) Originally, I wanted to book a package that included flights and hotels. (Like Groupon getaways) But I can't find any trips so close to the departure date. So I've decided to just do it ourselves.

I've been using a couple of guides I found online on finding the best flights using Skyscanner and kayak. (I'll link them at the bottom).

But are there other flight search engines I should be using? What are your tips for finding cheap flights? Is it really cheaper to book on Sundays?

Also if anyone knows any Groupon getaway alternatives that would be great!

November coming quick! So any help would be amazing!!!!

Guides I've been using to look for cheap flights? Is this advice good?

I've been having trouble finding cheap flights and wondering what your tips are?

https://abackpackerstale.com/kayak-explore-guide

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blog ... re-online/

SQ22

Re: Finding Cheap Flights

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:10 am

I have moved this thread to Travel Forum.

For searching flights you can use Google Flights as another option. Google Flights is based on Matrix Airfare Search which was purchased by Google. With Matrix you have more search options, but you cannot directly book a flight out of the search, but there are also options for this available. http://matrix.itasoftware.com/. Just type "Booking flights with Matrix" into a search engine.

Anyway its not that long until November, so it won't be that cheap.

PatrickZ80

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:30 am

Perhaps it helps to share where you're from so we can search along with you. I guess you're from the USA, but that's a big country and flights from one end of the country won't do you any good if you're from the other end of the country.

Also, as has already been said, November is short term so it won't really be cheap. Those same flights would have been cheap if you booked them half a year ago, but they're much more expensive now because it's such a short term.

PS one search engine you can use is Kiwi.com, however the trick is to use it for searching but not for booking. Kiwi.com is known for self-transfers, they mix and match everything together. However they do add a booking fee on top of the airline fares. No problem, they list exactly the right combination of flights so it's easy to look up those flights directly with the airlines and book them there. Saves you the booking fee.

B747forever

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:30 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
PS one search engine you can use is Kiwi.com, however the trick is to use it for searching but not for booking. Kiwi.com is known for self-transfers, they mix and match everything together. However they do add a booking fee on top of the airline fares. No problem, they list exactly the right combination of flights so it's easy to look up those flights directly with the airlines and book them there. Saves you the booking fee.

Isn't the point of Kiwi's booking fee on separate tickets that they will rebook you in case of a missed connection? If you book separate tickets for self-transfer yourself there is no protection in case of a missed connection.
Work Hard, Fly Right

IPFreely

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:16 am

backpackerjohn wrote:
I am trying everything to find cheap flights for early November, I want to take my mother on a trip to Europe. We want to go to Spain and Portugal (But open to anywhere with a good deal)

It might help to know where you are departing from, and what you consider cheap.

I see ORD-BCN roundtrips on UA/LH as low as $590 in November.

peterinlisbon

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Use Google flights and use the calendar view. Then you can see which dates are cheaper to fly. Try changing the departure city, arrival city and dates to see if the price gets cheaper. Sometimes it can be cheaper to do an open-jaw or return back to a different city. Within Europe and Southeast Asia, it's very cheap to fly (under 20$ sometimes) so you can take a long-haul flight to wherever is cheapest in that region and then get a low-cost flight from there.

However, beware that these airlines have very high baggage fees. If I'm planning on taking a lot of flights I take the bare minimum and travel with hand luggage only. It's cheaper to wash your clothes yourself or visit a laundry every few days than to pay 50$ per flight on luggage fees. You can also save on taxis etc by not having a lot of luggage.