Tikchik
Topic Author

Only 2 Seats Open in Y

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:11 pm

What is proper etiquette in a 3x3x3 economy cabin when your seat assignment is 24C and seats 24A and 24B are the only 2 empty seats in the Y cabin?

If you were in this situation, seated in 24C, would you slide over to 24B in the late stages of boarding to dissuade other passengers from trying to poach your transatlantic sofa?

Or, if you were seated in 24E and recognized two empty seats connected across the aisle, would trying to move to 24A be copasetic?

enilria

Re: Only 2 Seats Open in Y

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:16 pm

I sit in my real seat until everybody has boarded then it’s open season in the cabin you paid for. Blocking while people are still boarding is lame.

smflyer

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:27 pm

I once decided to board last on a DL flight as I wasn't carrying any cabin bags with me on that trip. I had booked an exit row aisle seat so I thought it would be a quick walk into the plane, sit down, buckle up, and take off. Instead, as I approached my seat there was someone seated in my assigned seat and I said "excuse me, I believe you're in my seat" and he simply looked confused at me and pulled out his phone are started fiddling with the delta app trying to find his seat assignment while I awkwardly stand there as one of the few people left standing as most people had already settled in their seats at this point. He gets up and walks over to a middle seat about 5-7 row behind. I suppose this fellow had a bright idea of getting a free exit row aisle seat, but backfired because he moved before boarding was complete.

Babyshark

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:49 pm

smflyer wrote:
I once decided to board last on a DL flight as I wasn't carrying any cabin bags with me on that trip. I had booked an exit row aisle seat so I thought it would be a quick walk into the plane, sit down, buckle up, and take off. Instead, as I approached my seat there was someone seated in my assigned seat and I said "excuse me, I believe you're in my seat" and he simply looked confused at me and pulled out his phone are started fiddling with the delta app trying to find his seat assignment while I awkwardly stand there as one of the few people left standing as most people had already settled in their seats at this point. He gets up and walks over to a middle seat about 5-7 row behind. I suppose this fellow had a bright idea of getting a free exit row aisle seat, but backfired because he moved before boarding was complete.

I get good exit row seating taken all the time, 3 in the last year, on delta by diamond medallion status folks who boarded earlier. Most of the time FAs shrug because I'm in a delta pilot uniform. So I just board early now.

UALFAson

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:51 pm

I would take the seat I was assigned because those 2 seats are probably going to be assigned to standby passengers, whether rev or non-rev.

I can't believe this is a real question on here.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

PlymSpotter

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:39 am

Wait until crew call 'boarding complete' then slide on over.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

VSMUT

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Wait until crew call 'boarding complete' then slide on over.

:checkmark:

Place something inconspicuous on the seat next to you, like a book, rucksack or tablet before the boarding complete call.

DALMD80

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Was on a B6 flight and wanted a window seat, waited until boarding finished and then scooted over.
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

Seabear

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Place an inflated airsickness bag on the desired seat.

DALMD80

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 pm

Seabear wrote:
Place an inflated airsickness bag on the desired seat.

*Chuckling*
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.