tomaheath
Topic Author

Rental car insurance.

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:31 am

I always get the insurance from the rental car company provides usually enterprise. I was recently told that my personal car insurance and/or credit card will cover it. Just curious what others do when renting a car.

wv399

Re: Rental car insurance.

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:59 am

I use Chase Sapphire Reserve. It’s coverage is primary. Another option would be American Express. They provide coverage for about $25 per rental, not per day.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:04 am

My car insurance doesn't cover rental cars (especially in a foreign country), nor does my credit card.

The last time I rented a car (from Enterprise) I didn't get the insurance and I gashed another car in a parking lot. Because of that I got insurance for the car I rented at my next stop (also from Enterprise). I think they covered the damage from the first car with the insurance I paid for the second car because I didn't get charge a single cent.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

debonair

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:02 am

tomaheath wrote:
I was recently told that my personal car insurance and/or credit card will cover it. Just curious what others do when renting a car.

In Germany it's very confusing, called "Mallorca Police(Cover)"; but has nothing to do with the island in the Mediterranean. If you rent a car with just the basic insurance, motor liability insurance, the legal coverage in the country you rent the car might be too low. This insurance will fill the gap between the legal, local coverage and German standards.

afcjets

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:56 pm

I thought almost every credit card at least in the US had it. Your car insurance should cover it, why pay twice? More importantly if they charge $10 per day, would you pay $300 per month for car insurance? I bet it's higher than that anyway.

Chemist

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:02 pm

I believe Citibank in the US is dropping rental car coverage on all of its cards.

FriscoHeavy

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:10 pm

afcjets wrote:
I thought almost every credit card at least in the US had it. Your car insurance should cover it, why pay twice? More importantly if they charge $10 per day, would you pay $300 per month for car insurance? I bet it's higher than that anyway.

Because that isn’t accurate. Most cards do NOT provide insurance and if they do, it’s typically secondary. On top of that, my auto policy does not cover international trips (it does domestically).

Very few cards provide solid, primary rental car insurance coverage.

When driving internationally, I typically get most/all the bells and whistles the rental car company offers since the last thing I want on vacation is a minor ding or accident to turn into a huge, costly affair.
Whatever

Yflyer

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:35 pm

I used to always decline the insurance from the rental company, because I had coverage from my credit card. However, as Chemist mentioned above, Citibank recently dropped rental car coverage (as well as trip insurance and a lot of other perks). So in the future I might consider paying for the insurance.

spacecadet

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:26 pm

In almost every case in the US, your personal liability car insurance covers rentals. You should check to make sure, but 99% of the time it does. You have to have a real cut-rate policy for it not to. Geico does it by default, for example - it's not even an option. (At least I don't remember ever selecting it, but it's on my policy and I see no way to remove it.)

Credit cards will often provide secondary coverage for non-liability costs. My AMEX card provides this.

For those reasons, I always decline all the insurance from the rental car company.

This is all fairly easy to check (and I've done so).
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

janders

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 pm

My personal car insurance covers domestic U.S. rentals, only exclusion being cant rent exotic cars. Additionally, I pay with Chase saphire reserve which also provides primary insurance coverage.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

eastafspot

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:31 pm

tomaheath wrote:
I always get the insurance from the rental car company provides usually enterprise. I was recently told that my personal car insurance and/or credit card will cover it. Just curious what others do when renting a car.

That's true, however it depends on where you are!

In Europe, most insurance companies cover it pretty well.
While driving in foreign countries - outside EU, the Amex AF/KL Platinum answers well to all the needs even in some African countries!
Ok, admittedly, I have never had any problems for the last 7 years.

Except, a minor bump to bump impact at a low speed in Kigali - Rwanda back in 2015 with an Europcar vehicule. Admittedly it was entirely my fault but I did not pay anything and got another brand new 4x4 car the day after. It allowed to visit the magnificient Volcanoes National Park but most important the countryside near Karongi (ex Kibuye) with great Lake Kivu.

The list of the insurances included with the AF/KL amex is here (P2 for English):
https://www.assurances.americanexpress. ... -Perso.pdf
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

jetblueguy22

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Never. When traveling for work we are covered under our corporate policy and when I travel for pleasure my personal card covers it along with my own auto insurance.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

blueflyer

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:51 am

Same as the post above mine. Business rentals are covered under our contract with our preferred vendor, and we also have a separate umbrella policy for all car rentals whenever we don't use the preferred vendor.

For personal rentals, my personal auto insurance is primary, with my credit card secondary.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

tomaheath
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:12 pm

Thanks for the info. Let’s say that I rear end someone would you just exchange information like you would in your personal car?

EricAY05

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 am

Always book through a third party website (like rentalcars.com) that has insurance included. The insurance that is offered ad the counter is ridiculously overpriced. In the US, my excess charges have always been 0 USD. Have crashed a couple of times in the US, never paid a single dollar. In countries with high excess fees, I always get a policy (third party) that covers that excess payment if something happens.

jetwet1

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:44 am

We use Allianz, full coverage, zero deductible is about $3 a day, honestly at that price it's a no brainier.

classicjets

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:06 pm

So if you don't have personal auto insurance (no car) and rent with a card that has secondary coverage what happens if there is an accident?

A333MSPtoAMS

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:01 pm

My AmEx provides insurance for most countries, except Australia, Israel, Italy, New Zealand and I think Ireland. It's $20 for the duration of the rental, regardless of whether it's 1 day or 90 days. It really hit me hard on my recent trip to Australia where i had to buy 3rd party insurance (since i don't own a car and have my own)
As of Dec 2018 I've flown 417,862 miles on 250 flights on 51 airplane types with 55 airlines traveling thru 97 airports in 43 countries. I've visited 59 countries. 2019 is looking like a pretty decent year for me.
http://cronkflies.com