clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Banning cell phone use in airport lounges - This needs to be a rule in the US

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:26 am

I’m currently sitting in the JL F lounge @ NRT (first time here) and there are signs all over both the F lounge and J lounge banning cell phone use. And everyone is following the rules. It’s so relaxing and so pleasant. Why can they be successful with this in Japan but not in the US?
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title was misleading

GoSharks

Re: This needs to be a rule in the US

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:31 am

Culture. No phones or food on trains/subway either.

readytotaxi

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:33 am

Indeed, culture is key.People there are more respectful of others and care what other people think about them. In the west it is more Me Me Me. No society is perfect but a few are lots better than others.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

VSMUT

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:37 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
I’m currently sitting in the JL F lounge @ NRT (first time here) and there are signs all over both the F lounge and J lounge banning cell phone use. And everyone is following the rules. It’s so relaxing and so pleasant. Why can they be successful with this in Japan but not in the US?

Why do you think this should be a rule? I get the point about having silent/mobile free zones, but banning them outright?

rlwynn

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:39 am

It does not say banning them outright. Just the use.
I can drive faster than you

Nicoeddf

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:56 am

VSMUT wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Why do you think this should be a rule? I get the point about having silent/mobile free zones, but banning them outright?

Indeed. A lot of people on business trips want to make calls in the hours they spend in lounges.

Silent zones are the way to go, not bans.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

whisperjet727

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 am

Rules? How about manners?

Toinou

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Indeed. A lot of people on business trips want to make calls in the hours they spend in lounges.

They still have the option to call from outside the lounge.
Silent zones may be an option but I think it would probably be more efficient to have noisy zones.

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:16 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Nowhere in my OP did I say anything about a ban. Please reread - it says the USE of cell phones i.e. calls. Feel free to surf the web, send emails, send texts, etc. But nobody wants to hear your conference call or even worse your FaceTime chat. Why do people even do that??

In the JL lounge they have individual private rooms about the size of small walk in closet with a glass door you go into to make/receive calls so it doesn’t feel claustrophobic. It’s brilliant!
Last edited by clrd4t8koff on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

GCT64

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:17 am

People playing music and videos, having video calls and watching TV shows using the phone's loudspeaker (and not using headphones) would be good thing to start with banning, far more intrusive than phone calls.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

scbriml

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:20 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Why can they be successful with this in Japan but not in the US?

Because "Freedom". :duck:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

VSMUT

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:23 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Nowhere in my OP did I say anything about a ban. Please reread - it says the USE of cell phones. Feel free to surf the web, send emails, send texts, etc. But nobody wants to hear your conference call or even worse your FaceTime chat. Why do people even do that??

I. The JL lounge they have individual private rooms, about the size of small walk in closet with a glass door you go into to make/receive calls so it doesn’t feel claustrophobic. It’s brilliant!

You clearly said they banned the use of them, which is the same. A phone that can't be used is just dead weight.

I experience few if any issues with people speaking on the phone. Airport lounges are public areas, nobody in their right sense would let others listen in on a conversation. I don't recognize the issue.

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:24 am

GCT64 wrote:
People playing music and videos, having video calls and watching TV shows using the phone's loudspeaker (and not using headphones) would be good thing to start with banning, far more intrusive than phone calls.

And you know what - nobody was doing that either. I realize that culturally this is just how the Japanese are. But what impressed me the most was even the westerners followed suit. It was extremely tranquil and relaxing, which is how all lounges should be.

airevents

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:29 am

It´s a big issue - and it´s getting worse. No matter what mode of transport you travel on, train, plane, bus, there is always somebody watching their videos or doing their phonecalls at the highest volume level you could imagine. Crying breakup conversations to business conference calls. Anything. Even in quiet zones on the train, I experience it a lot. It´s just incredibly rude and disrispectful and I would be in favour of any quiet zone anyone would want to introduce anywhere. Manners don´t work, many people seem to need rules unfortunately.

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:32 am

VSMUT wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

Nowhere in my OP did I say anything about a ban. Please reread - it says the USE of cell phones. Feel free to surf the web, send emails, send texts, etc. But nobody wants to hear your conference call or even worse your FaceTime chat. Why do people even do that??

I. The JL lounge they have individual private rooms, about the size of small walk in closet with a glass door you go into to make/receive calls so it doesn’t feel claustrophobic. It’s brilliant!

You clearly said they banned the use of them, which is the same. A phone that can't be used is just dead weight.

I experience few if any issues with people speaking on the phone. Airport lounges are public areas, nobody in their right sense would let others listen in on a conversation. I don't recognize the issue.

You’re clearly being pedantic. Just read this thread so far and you’ll see others clearly know it doesn’t mean an ALL OUT BAN.

Because I rarely experience this I don’t recognize the issue. This logic makes me bang my head against the wall. Your lack of awareness and justification that because lounges are public places nobody lets others listen is just asinine. It has nothing to do with others letting anyone listen, and everything to do with others not having respect for their fellow travelers.

Nicoeddf

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Nowhere in my OP did I say anything about a ban. Please reread - it says the USE of cell phones i.e. calls. Feel free to surf the web, send emails, send texts, etc. But nobody wants to hear your conference call or even worse your FaceTime chat. Why do people even do that??

In the JL lounge they have individual private rooms about the size of small walk in closet with a glass door you go into to make/receive calls so it doesn’t feel claustrophobic. It’s brilliant!

So you are actually advocating creating space for people who need to go about their business or private phone needs inside the lounge without disturbing others?

I am all for that and should be standard in every lounge.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

VSMUT

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:55 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

So you are actually advocating creating space for people who need to go about their business or private phone needs inside the lounge without disturbing others?

:checkmark:

Don't some of the Lufthansa lounges already have this?

Pyrex

Re: Banning cell phone use in airport lounges - This needs to be a rule in the US

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:19 am

If you are in a lounge, 9 times out of 10, you are there because your employer is paying you to be there, and the reason they are willing to pay stupid amounts of money for a J ticket instead of just sending you in cattle class is because they need you to be productive while on a business trip. That means getting a lie-flat seat so you can get a proper sleep and be productive immediately when you land, and yes, be able to take calls while on the ground waiting for your flight.

There may be some independently wealthy people that buy F tickets out of their own pocket (and then like to go online and brag about it to strangers), but they are the vast minority. Airlines in the U S know this, and that is why they design their product to cater to their business travelers.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Veigar

Re: Banning cell phone use in airport lounges - This needs to be a rule in the US

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:42 am

The Japanese are cultured and respectful. Americans (being one myself, so no bias...) don't seem to care. There's the reason why.

airbazar

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:51 am

Veigar wrote:
The Japanese are cultured and respectful. Americans (being one myself, so no bias...) don't seem to care. There's the reason why.

If the Japanese were cultured and respectful they wouldn't need signs everywhere telling them how to behave because they would already know how. Just my $0.02.

Veigar

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:55 am

airbazar wrote:
Veigar wrote:

If the Japanese were cultured and respectful they wouldn't need signs everywhere telling them how to behave because they would already know how. Just my $0.02.

Well, if it's an airport, there will be foreigners that don't know. Hence the signs. That's my $0.02.

Also, just because not smoking near a gas station is common sense doesn't mean there aren't any no smoking signs. It's a responsibility to label that stuff.
Last edited by Veigar on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ojjunior

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:59 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Education. Something given to you in crib.

ethernal

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:11 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Indeed, culture is key.People there are more respectful of others and care what other people think about them. In the west it is more Me Me Me. No society is perfect but a few are lots better than others.

I'd be careful before praising Japanese culture for their "respectfulness". Xenophobia and sexism are rampant in Japan - while slowly improving, they're probably 40 years behind the rest of the world in that area.

In terms of banning cell phone use in lounges - I have no issue with silent zones. But I expect to be able to make a conference call in a lounge (while trying to minimize my voice volume to the extent possible).

Should people be banned from talking too? Or are certain types of talking just more offensive to OP and some of the order posters in this thread?

cledaybuck

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:13 pm

airevents wrote:
It´s a big issue
No it's not. This is the epitome of a first world problem.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

DocLightning

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:56 pm

ethernal wrote:

Should people be banned from talking too? Or are certain types of talking just more offensive to OP and some of the order posters in this thread?

There have been studies that have shown that being able to hear only one side of a conversation is for some reason far more irksome than overhearing both sides.

In days of yore, there were phone booths in lounges and hotel lobbies with doors that closed for privacy. I've seen these same booths in some modern airline lounges, although they no longer provide the phone. Why can't we just use those?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

SQ22

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:06 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

:checkmark:

Don't some of the Lufthansa lounges already have this?

Yes and its widely ignored. Same as in quiet zones of trains as mentioned upthread.

ODwyerPW

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:14 pm

scbriml wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Because "Freedom". :duck:

You mean like this?
learning never stops.

IPFreely

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:24 pm

airevents wrote:
It´s a big issue - and it´s getting worse. No matter what mode of transport you travel on, train, plane, bus, there is always somebody watching their videos or doing their phonecalls at the highest volume level you could imagine. Crying breakup conversations to business conference calls. Anything.

Someone having a teleconference or Skype meeting in a lounge or other public space is inviting those around them to join in. More than a few times I’ve said hi or asked follow up questions to their colleagues or clients or whoever. It’s even better if it’s a video call and they see me waving to them in the background.

LAXintl

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:02 am

Imo lounges are largely places to be productive in, which may include holding business calls.

As the bulk of U.S. lounge memberships are funded by companies, they dont do so for fun, but instead with hopes their employees stay productive.

Yes some discretion is needed, however, I think it comes with the territory that lounges will be prime locations for making calls when on the road.

As mentioned by some, a means to solve this is having segregated 'quiet zones' in clubs
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

timh4000

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:20 am

If airports want to create a no device zone, fine. People who don't work remotely and don't for whatever reason have a problem when their flight gets cancelled no need to call, or a delay so that the person picking you up doesn't have to sit for hours at an airport.

I use my phone in the lounges and terminals to let my wife or my kids or whomever how my travels are going. No matter how safe the statistics are and whenever my wife and I fly separate I'm not fearing for hers or anyone else's life including my kids when they take to the air and I'm not with them (they are both adults now) BUT............... It still has a nice feeling when one of them calls or texts they are at their destination.

I do not want airports to lock down devices in lounges or anywhere else. Let the Japanese do whatever they want. Here, sure create a quiet zone maybe if your on a long layover the silence would be nice. But one more thing in the device free zone I'd hope strangers won't feel compelled to start some huge uninteresting convo when I wan to close my eyes and rest. Friendly hello gestures or an honest question (nearest bathroom) wouldn't bother me. But I think those who've flown hundreds of times more than I have have likely experienced a seat mate that wants to talk continuously on say a transcon trip. I haven't hit the 100 mark of flights yet but I'm sneaking up on it. Don't know if I will make that number or not. But I've experienced it a few times. Having convos can be fine, but my favorite past time is looking out the window. I really don't feel like having to hold someone's attention for 5 straight hours.

My vote is no to banning devices through lounges or other parts of the airports. Zoned off sections are fine.

blueflyer

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:04 am

I hate the designated work/phone areas in lounges. There's always an idiot who thinks that because (s)he is in an area designated to make calls, they need to be loud enough to be clearly understood on the other end of my call! Not for the first time, I walked out of a United Club two days ago to find quietness (!) in the terminal to make a call...
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

mchei

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 am

blueflyer wrote:
I hate the designated work/phone areas in lounges. There's always an idiot who thinks that because (s)he is in an area designated to make calls, they need to be loud enough to be clearly understood on the other end of my call! Not for the first time, I walked out of a United Club two days ago to find quietness (!) in the terminal to make a call...

This!
Try to enjoy a morning coffee during the rush-hour in one of the lounges in Frankfurt after you took a red eye flight to get there. Most probably you are not going to succeed.
I agree it has to do with culture. But these lounges are also a melting pot of cultures and everything comes together there. The American guy doing FaceTime with the family at full volume, the Chinese guy eating in a way you would not do it in Central Europe, the German guy telling everybody about the biggest deal he’s just made - I’m being stereotypical of course. You get the point, I’m sure.

Most of the times I grab a drink and a quick snack and walk out to found a quiet spot in the terminal area. There’s one great lounge where I don’t need to do it because people behave or the lounge is just more spacey - and that is in Zurich.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:21 pm

airbazar wrote:
Veigar wrote:

The signs aren’t for the Japanese. As stated earlier by another poster they already don’t make cellphone calls out in the open in lounges. The signs are for the foreign travelers using the lounge who need to be notified not to do it.

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:24 pm

timh4000 wrote:
If airports want to create a no device zone, fine. People who don't work remotely and don't for whatever reason have a problem when their flight gets cancelled no need to call, or a delay so that the person picking you up doesn't have to sit for hours at an airport.

I use my phone in the lounges and terminals to let my wife or my kids or whomever how my travels are going. No matter how safe the statistics are and whenever my wife and I fly separate I'm not fearing for hers or anyone else's life including my kids when they take to the air and I'm not with them (they are both adults now) BUT............... It still has a nice feeling when one of them calls or texts they are at their destination.

I do not want airports to lock down devices in lounges or anywhere else. Let the Japanese do whatever they want. Here, sure create a quiet zone maybe if your on a long layover the silence would be nice. But one more thing in the device free zone I'd hope strangers won't feel compelled to start some huge uninteresting convo when I wan to close my eyes and rest. Friendly hello gestures or an honest question (nearest bathroom) wouldn't bother me. But I think those who've flown hundreds of times more than I have have likely experienced a seat mate that wants to talk continuously on say a transcon trip. I haven't hit the 100 mark of flights yet but I'm sneaking up on it. Don't know if I will make that number or not. But I've experienced it a few times. Having convos can be fine, but my favorite past time is looking out the window. I really don't feel like having to hold someone's attention for 5 straight hours.

My vote is no to banning devices through lounges or other parts of the airports. Zoned off sections are fine.

Why do you have to CALL the person picking you up if your flight is delayed or your child you need to check on. Just send them a quick text message.

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Pyrex wrote:
If you are in a lounge, 9 times out of 10, you are there because your employer is paying you to be there, and the reason they are willing to pay stupid amounts of money for a J ticket instead of just sending you in cattle class is because they need you to be productive while on a business trip. That means getting a lie-flat seat so you can get a proper sleep and be productive immediately when you land, and yes, be able to take calls while on the ground waiting for your flight.

There may be some independently wealthy people that buy F tickets out of their own pocket (and then like to go online and brag about it to strangers), but they are the vast minority. Airlines in the U S know this, and that is why they design their product to cater to their business travelers.

So if companies want you to be productive on the ground waiting for a flight please remind me exactly how someone is more productive taking a call in the lounge vs out in the terminals? Is it because in the lounge they can throw back whiskey and beers? Because that’s helping them be more productive?

Pyrex

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:43 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

So if companies want you to be productive on the ground waiting for a flight please remind me exactly how someone is more productive taking a call in the lounge vs out in the terminals? Is it because in the lounge they can throw back whiskey and beers? Because that’s helping them be more productive?

Quieter. Have a place to take out your laptop and plug it in. Prevents you from having to go in and out of the lounge as calls come up. But you knew that already, of course.

I know there is a certain class of moneyed people that look down on those who acquired wealth by working and being productive members of society, but luckily the times of the aristocracy are behind us.

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Pyrex wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Quieter. Have a place to take out your laptop and plug it in. Prevents you from having to go in and out of the lounge as calls come up. But you knew that already, of course.

I know there is a certain class of moneyed people that look down on those who acquired wealth by working and being productive members of society, but luckily the times of the aristocracy are behind us.

Oh that’s rich - you admit the lounge is quieter, so let’s go in and ruin that with making a phone call. That’s the definition of rude, selfish and obnoxious. But you knew that already, of course. :roll:

Nobody cares how you or anyone else acquired your “wealth.” Save that nonsense for yourself. What we care about is getting a premium experience. You calling little Susie, your wife, your mistress or your boss/client/colleagues can be done in the terminal. Not in a premium lounge.

VSMUT

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:15 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Oh that’s rich - you admit the lounge is quieter, so let’s go in and ruin that with making a phone call. That’s the definition of rude, selfish and obnoxious. But you knew that already, of course. :roll:

Nobody cares how you or anyone else acquired your “wealth.” Save that nonsense for yourself. What we care about is getting a premium experience. You calling little Susie, your wife, your mistress or your boss/client/colleagues can be done in the terminal. Not in a premium lounge.

You are getting ahead of yourself, nobody says a phone call has to be obnoxiously loud.

Pyrex

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:31 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

For you a premium experience might mean not having to listen to any of the peons. To other people a premium experience means being able to go about their business without busybodies trying to interfere in their lives. I bet you are a blast at your co-op board meetings..

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Pyrex wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

For you a premium experience might mean not having to listen to any of the peons. To other people a premium experience means being able to go about their business without busybodies trying to interfere in their lives. I bet you are a blast at your co-op board meetings..

Might we suggest if your concern is busybodies interfering in your life then you never, ever leave your house and go out into society. You clearly can’t handle it.

Anyone trying to enjoy a quiet lounge now equals busybodies interfering with people who must make a call in the middle of the lounge?? Your posts just keep getting weirder and weirder.

cpd

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Pyrex wrote:

Is that some anger about those independently wealthy people? Plenty of business travel people also brag about their lavish trips online too, one only has to read trip reports on various websites for that. Those are something I never do. Maybe I also worked hard to be able to get those opportunities, and I didn’t whinge on forums about it. I’m not aristocracy either.

Lounges should be silent zones, last thing we need is some person blasting away their video or music for all to hear, or the headphones that everyone can hear. Install noisy zones - rooms where the loud people can do whatever it is they need to do without interrupting others.

Pyrex

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:13 pm

cpd wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Is that some anger about those independently wealthy people? Plenty of business travel people also brag about their lavish trips online too, one only has to read trip reports on various websites for that. Those are something I never do. Maybe I also worked hard to be able to get those opportunities, and I didn’t whinge on forums about it. I’m not aristocracy either.

Lounges should be silent zones, last thing we need is some person blasting away their video or music for all to hear, or the headphones that everyone can hear. Install noisy zones - rooms where the loud people can do whatever it is they need to do without interrupting others.

No anger, just a recognition of fact - it is called "business class" for a reason, not "traveling on daddy's money" class. The U.S. airlines know their market, and which side their bread is buttered, and that is why they haven't adopted these idiotic rules.

UPlog

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:31 pm

While I am a crew member, I deadhead enough internationally and frequent many airline lounges.

I have always viewed such lounges as an offices away from the office for executives. You can often see a row of people sitting in cubicles working away on their computers and taking and making calls. I dont see anything wrong with this. Actually I am often impressed by how these folks have the energy to keep working in the midst of often very long journeys.

For those here that crave silence, may I suggest either encouraging airlines to create more quiet zone sections in lounges or simply wear noise cancelleing headphones in the lounge if your fellow travellers bother you so much.

timh4000

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:24 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
timh4000 wrote:

Why do you have to CALL the person picking you up if your flight is delayed or your child you need to check on. Just send them a quick text message.

Apparently I'm missing the context of what banning means?

IPFreely

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:47 am

cpd wrote:

Bragging about "lavish" trips in airport lounges? Who does that??? Certainly not wealthy aristocrats -- wealthy aristocrats do not fly commercial airlines to begin with.

AirKevin

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:48 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Two reasons. First, not everybody knows how to work text messages. I know people who don't. Second, when you call the person, you at least know for sure they're aware of the delay, assuming they answered the phone. When you send a text message, it could get ignored, missed, or lost in cyberspace somewhere.
Captain Kevin

NYPECO

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:48 am

Or just make a quiet section in the lounge (I'm sure many already have this). There's no need to ban phones as long as they aren't being loud.

maint123

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:09 am

Lounges are premium? Wow didn't know that. I just go their for the free coffee, food and a seat. And these are on private visits, not official ones. Just use your credit cards, which give free lounge visits and your priority pass.

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:33 am

AirKevin wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Two reasons. First, not everybody knows how to work text messages. I know people who don't. Second, when you call the person, you at least know for sure they're aware of the delay, assuming they answered the phone. When you send a text message, it could get ignored, missed, or lost in cyberspace somewhere.

Okay - anyone accessing a business class lounge by having a job title high enough that their company pays for them to fly premium cabins or is wealthy enough to buy it themselves knows how to send a text messages. These people use various tech devices daily. And second - if it’s a confirmation that they received your text you’re after then turn on read receipts. You can do it on an individual level and will know the exact time they read it. And if they aren’t reading it then go out into the terminal or a phone cubby in the lounge and call.

WPvsMW

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:38 am

ATL SkyClubs get my vote of "most ignored quiet zones"... mobile phone user yakking away, video gamer without headset, etc., while sitting in a quiet zone. I don't see similar behavior in other SkyClubs, esp. the quiet room in SEA S terminal SkyClub.