Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trexel94
Topic Author

Why are TATL breakfast in Y so minimal?

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm sure i'm not the only one to have this thought. Why is it on the majority of TATL flights regardless of airline, the breakfast served in Y is minimal and threadbare? Aside from select flights on KL, BA and LH, breakfast in economy is seldom more than the likes of a puny bagel or a prepackaged muffin and a child sized fruit cup. I've even read stories of BA serving nothing more than a granola bar! Even in premium economy onboard carriers such as AA, the breakfast is laughable even on a 10hr flight such as DFW to EZE. AF will serve you a small crepe if you're lucky. From my observation, breakfast is the most complained about meal service in economy.

Meanwhile on KL, when I flew ATL-AMS in 2017 in Y, I received a full hot breakfast with eggs, potatoes, sausage, yogurt, fruit and a hot roll. It hit the spot and I was full well into the afternoon. DL, on the other hand just served a small croissant and fruit.

Common arguments
- "You can eat when you land" . Sure, I 'could' eat after arriving but unless I have club access or want to shell out additional $$$ at some airport restaurant it could be while and by then it will have been roughly 4 to 6 hrs since my last substantial meal. Besides, with that logic, why serve meals at all? Y passengers 'could' eat before departing or simply bring their own food. After all, who wants dinner at 10pm? I'm being sarcastic

- "Most cultures don't eat a large or hot breakfast" . Fair enough as i'm typing this from an American viewpoint, but how about something higher quality? Adding some cold-cuts, cheeses or even a larger full-sized pastry would be nice and wouldn't cost much more.

While there's nothing wrong with muffins or bagels especially on relatively short hops like YYZ-DUB a more substantial meal would go a long way and provide additional value. DL is expected to implement their new int economy service next month but from the looks of the PDX-NRT trial flight, the breakfast was the only meal that has regrettably not improved and that is a 9 1/2 hr flight.

Economy dinners (while decent) are small enough as is but "breakfast" is usually barely even a snack. Why is this? Is it purely cost, lack of galley space or something else? This ended up being more of a rant than question but thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

FlyRow

Re: Why are TATL breakfast in Y so minimal?

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:51 pm

What about time and sector length. Some flights are sub 7hr. If you remove sleep and take off and landing, It's not a lot of time between two 'full' meales, or a lot of time, as a service takes an hour to complete.

Maximizing sleep is more important for most then two have two full meales in short concessione.

It's ofcourse also some cost cutting.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

johns624

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:04 pm

FlyRow wrote:
What about time and sector length. Some flights are sub 7hr. If you remove sleep and take off and landing, It's not a lot of time between two 'full' meales, or a lot of time, as a service takes an hour to complete.

Maximizing sleep is more important for most then two have two full meales in short concessione.
Exactly. Back in June, my wife and I flew DTW-AMS in D1. Between dinner and breakfast, we didn't have much time to take advantage of the lie flat seating. I know, first world problems...

chepos

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

It’s like this with most TA crossings, flew on VS in June, LAX-MAN at 10 hours and 44 min (longer flight than usual per the pilot). We got a heated croissant with cheese for the arrival service. I always pack food as in Y it usually is nothing to write home about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

USAirALB

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

UA recently introduced full hot meals on West Coast-Europe flights with a hot entree, yogurt, fruit, and muffin.

I think the breakfasts have always been bad from the East Coast. L-AA used to do a hot croissant. US used to do a croissant and fruit, then cost-cutting hit and they did this “buttermilk donut bar” and then shifted to a hot muffin/pastry.

European carriers I think do breakfasts better. I think on KL/LH pax get a hot breakfast outside of flights departing from the Northeast, ORD, and the Mid Atlantic.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

bamf777

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:20 pm

The amount of passengers who remain asleep or decline breakfast and just want a drink is very high, resulting in a lot of wastage.
On east coast to UK flights which are between 5.45-8hrs, given the time of departure (usually late) most people are still full from the first meal service and have had a restless night trying to sleep. We all know that groggy feeling of not sleeping on a flight due to the conditions. That usually leads to either a lack of appetite or nauseous feeling, meaning declining food at (sometimes) 4am when you wouldn’t naturally eat.
If the lights were left off till 40mins to landing and no 2nd service was provided (on a night flight), I can almost guarantee no one would complain and would just pick up a coffee and a sandwich/pastry when the picked up their luggage.
The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent those of my employers positions, strategies or opinions

davidjohnson6

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:07 am

Perhaps British Airways could just save the cost of providing breafkast in Y on flights from east coast USA, and instead give out vouchers that could be used at either EAT or Pret a Manger ? Pax in Y get more sleep, probably aren't even hungry at 4 am, Pret can deliver breakfast on the ground far more efficiently and to a higher quality than cabin crew at 38,000 ft, and Alex Cruz can not only cut costs but also be able to compete a little bit more against rivals

usdcaguy

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 am

All I remember is that the breakfast was so small on BA, there was not even a tray. It was shockingly small for what it was.

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 am

flights from JFK to LHR are 6-7 hours. The time between dinner and breakfast is only about 4 hours. Two hot meals that close together seems like a waste.

chepos

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:33 am

usdcaguy wrote:
All I remember is that the breakfast was so small on BA, there was not even a tray. It was shockingly small for what it was.

I have done PHX-LHR on BA in Y a few times, last time I flew them it was a box served prior to landing. It contained a yogurt and a breakfast bar.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Planetalk

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:43 am

The worst has to be flying Iberia from Mexico City to Madrid. It's over 10 hours, if you take the lunch time flight you get lunch, now normally your body would be expecting a decent sized meal for dinner in 5 hours or so. Instead you get breakfast, a sad, cold continental style affair, some 8 hours later. Not only was I starving before breakfast arrived, I was also very hungry soon after it. If you then have to run for a tight European connection (which most of my flight seemed to be doing) you then don't have time for anything in the terminal, and then board your connecting flight, which of course offers absolutely nothing. So by the time you've arrived at destination its a good 15-16 hours or so since you had any access to a decent meal, at lunch time the previous day. Other airlines on this route do at least offer a substantial hot breakfast, I'm not sure why Iberia alone is incapable of this on any long haul flights.

If you take the evening flight it's not so bad as your body isn't expecting another large meal for a long time and your metabolism is slowing down for the night, but on earlier flights I really do think they should be offering more, by the time you've arrived you've skipped one meal. I have to carry A LOT of food to be sure I won't be uncomfortable, and I'm a slim guy,

Now don't get me started on the morning flight from Madrid .- Mexico City, it's the only long haul I've been on that serves breakfast as the first and main meal. As someone who finds pretty much every breakfast offering on a flight miserable (eggs just don't work) that was a sad time. And being morning they weren't even serving wine, the horror!

Varsity1

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:09 am

Money.

Y passengers are an airline's last concern.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

intotheair

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:27 am

I think hot breakfasts are almost always the most disappointing and pointless attempt at food on a plane. It's usually served as the last meal on the plane several hours into the flight. At that point, the food is hours old and has been sitting in the galley for the entire flight. Also, eggs just aren't conducive to travel and reheating. They never taste the same, and I almost never eat more than a bite or two of them. I don't think there are many other hot dishes that are worth attempting at 36,000 feet either.

I much prefer the yogurt and pastry breakfast instead. It's not a problem at all to store those and serve them later. 4-6 hours after dinner, I don't want a heavy breakfast. At that point, I want something light before getting out of my coach seat and off the damn plane.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

TUSPHX

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:40 am

When I flew BA in Y on the PHX-LHR run in 2016 we got a full breakfast. Eggs, fruit, and a pastry.
“The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I’d rather fly.” — Len Morgan

Prost

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:40 am

I’m the freak who loves main cabin cheese omelets and sausages. *shrugs*

jsnww81

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:41 am

The anemic breakfasts are new in the last 10-15 years. I can remember flying ORD-Europe flights on American during the 1999-2005 period where Y pax received a hot omelet with potatoes (AND a warm muffin) for the pre-arrival meal. It wasn't a gourmet omelet or anything like that, but it was hot and filling and light years ahead of the sad yogurt/granola bar combo they throw at you today.

This is nothing more than the airlines falling back on their favorite excuse - "customer preferences" - as rationale for reduced service.

J343

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:45 am

This is what I've had for breakfast on previous TATL flights in recent years (I'll include J and W)

BA
JFK-LHR - Continental Breakfast (CW)
EWR-LHR - Breakfast Box (WT+)
JFK-LHR - Muffin + Orange Juice (WT+)
IAD-LHR - Continental Breakfast (CW)
MCO-LGW - Breakfast Box (WT+)
SFO-LHR - Full English Breakfas (Y)
SFO-LHR - Mixed Grill (WT+)

AA
JFK-LHR - Continental Breakfast (PEY)

leftcoast8

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:51 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Perhaps British Airways could just save the cost of providing breafkast in Y on flights from east coast USA, and instead give out vouchers that could be used at either EAT or Pret a Manger ? Pax in Y get more sleep, probably aren't even hungry at 4 am, Pret can deliver breakfast on the ground far more efficiently and to a higher quality than cabin crew at 38,000 ft, and Alex Cruz can not only cut costs but also be able to compete a little bit more against rivals

We got the All-Day Deli in lieu of a full breakfast when I flew YVR-LHR-HBE-ADD back in 2006. For comparison's sake, this is back when BA's YVR route was out of T4 at Heathrow (SEA as well). So apparently BA's penny-pinching ways were present as far back as during Rod Eddington's "Future Size and Shape" cost-cutting. I dread the inevitable day BAEC switches to a revenue-based model.

This is why I want to see a Gulf carrier at YVR: not because it would make financial sense, but because AC and European longhaul carriers that currently serve treat YVR their customers like cattle. At least on Emirates, or Qatar, you'd be treated well, get big meals, a solid passenger experience. I mean EK's 777s are 10 abreast as well but nothing you can do about that.
Last edited by leftcoast8 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

kimimm19

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:58 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Well they could use the M&S partnership to do that for meal deals. Surely it comes close cost-wise between a croissant, fruit, jogurt, and OJ and a 3-4 pound meal deal.

Also to everyone: Sardines don't eat breakfast :lol:

Virtual737

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:00 am

The answer is cost.

I also amazes me how many people who have paid for one of the cheapest fare classes will wait in a terminal for a couple of hours in close proximity to any number of eateries only to expect a Michelin star dining experience at top of climb.

dampfnudel

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

I’m surprised that no US carrier has started offering an “enhanced breakfast” as an upgrade when booking for Y passengers. Maybe an additional $25.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

leftcoast8

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:05 am

dampfnudel wrote:
I’m surprised that no US carrier has started offering an “enhanced breakfast” as an upgrade when booking for Y passengers. Maybe an additional $25.

Don't give Air Canada any more ideas!

dampfnudel

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:14 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:

Don't give Air Canada any more ideas!

I have a feeling some carriers based in North America have already considered that, but came to the conclusion that it’s not worth it and they’re better off putting most of their focus on the meal service to those upfront. Personally, I don’t really care about being served a hot breakfast 60-90 minutes before landing after a restless night over the Atlantic. I usually have no connections (FRA is usually my destination) so I’ll be eating something significantly better soon enough.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

ericm2031

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:10 am

intotheair wrote:
I think hot breakfasts are almost always the most disappointing and pointless attempt at food on a plane. It's usually served as the last meal on the plane several hours into the flight. At that point, the food is hours old and has been sitting in the galley for the entire flight. Also, eggs just aren't conducive to travel and reheating. They never taste the same, and I almost never eat more than a bite or two of them. I don't think there are many other hot dishes that are worth attempting at 36,000 feet either.

I much prefer the yogurt and pastry breakfast instead. It's not a problem at all to store those and serve them later. 4-6 hours after dinner, I don't want a heavy breakfast. At that point, I want something light before getting out of my coach seat and off the damn plane.

I agree 100%.

The eggs are never that good and I usually end up eating a bite or 2 and then maybe some of the potatoes and sausage, and then the fruit. The 2nd option of pancakes are usually just soggy and not good either. I would much prefer a pastry and/or yogurt but that isn't always an option.

Reheated McD's breakfast is better than what they serve on the plane.

9w748capt

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:20 am

dampfnudel wrote:

$25 for a breakfast that costs the airline $2 tops? Hahaha are you serious? You really think price conscious Y pax would pay that?

ltbewr

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:36 am

I recall hot breakfasts on TATL and on transcon USA flights years ago. No doubt costs, high rates of waste, a second meal service that may be close to a 'dinner', difficulty in keeping food fresh for a number of hours, fussy eaters, time to serve and clean up close to landing, difficulty in offering food that everyone will consider eating (including religious, dietary choices) are all factors. Many of us don't eat a lot for breakfast, at home normally it is a bowl of cereal. Problem is that I don't like yogurt and the breakfast buns or so called 'bagels' are often a poor product. So, keep it simple, not too much and for many just do what it takes to have a seat transcon or TATL for $150 each way or less.

opticalilyushin

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:55 am

My gripe with this is airlines offering breakfast at 5am for a flight landing an hour or so later. For the majority of people it's not a normal time to eat. Even when starting my job at 5am i always push through until 8 or 9am before eating..as such i usually sleep through the onboard servings. Maybe that's just me..

I wonder could airlines get around this issue by offering tea or coffee an hour before landing (say for a 6am - 7am landing), and on disembarkation little paper bags with a croissant and yogurt can be handed out to anyone who wants one?

The BA pret or M&S idea is an interesting one, provided BA doesn't end up paying the food provider for a service that few use. It saves space and weight onboard an aircraft, but the flip side is that a groggy, tired passenger, having already queued up for immigration and baggage reclaim now has to queue up to get their free breakfast during a morning rush

hpff

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:07 am

Food served on international flights typically has to be destroyed if not used, so you can't offer disembarking pax food.

Of more personal concern is QF started doing cereal with milk for breakfast in Y on the most recent TPAC flight I had. The typical egg and potato triangle with sausage brekky isn't the best thing I've ever eaten, but you start to look forward to it when you fly over the ocean. On a 6-7 hour flight, I'm not sure there's any need for any meal much less two - flew JFK-AMS on DY last year, didn't pay for a meal, self-catered, everything was fine.

September11

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:15 am

Meal service can be better on widebodies
Airliners.net of the Future

Cointrin330

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:32 am

Short sectors and a short amount of time between dinner service and breakfast. I recently flew JFK-CDG in a premium cabin and I can tell you that even in Business Class, the quantity of breakfast food wasn't large and essentially, a better laid out version of what you get in coach, which is to say sliced fruit (more of it), a yoghurt, and a baked good (served from a basket, not wrapped in plastic) and served warm. Small container of jam and a pat of butter and that's it.

LMFNINJA

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:00 am

The most pathetic breakfast TATL has to be on Air Canada YYZ-CDG. You get a slice of banana bread. That's one of the reasons I detest AC economy class and avoid it on TATL.

ChrisKen

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:43 am

opticalilyushin wrote:
I wonder could airlines get around this issue by offering tea or coffee an hour before landing (say for a 6am - 7am landing), and on disembarkation little paper bags with a croissant and yogurt can be handed out to anyone who wants one?

This would be an issue in many countries worldwide. The contents of such bags would be classed as international waste and should be destroyed properly, as the remains of the catering is. Not to mention the fines for unwary passengers, unknowingly "smuggling" their breakfast through customs.

readytotaxi

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:19 am

J343 wrote:
This is what I've had for breakfast on previous TATL flights in recent years (I'll include J and W)

BA
JFK-LHR - Continental Breakfast (CW)
EWR-LHR - Breakfast Box (WT+)
JFK-LHR - Muffin + Orange Juice (WT+)
IAD-LHR - Continental Breakfast (CW)
MCO-LGW - Breakfast Box (WT+)
SFO-LHR - Full English Breakfas (Y)
SFO-LHR - Mixed Grill (WT+)

AA
JFK-LHR - Continental Breakfast (PEY)

On the BA florida runs breakfast in Club is an awful bacon roll,very cost saving, the Y offering might be better.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

PI4EVR

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:41 am

I am OK with a nice hot coffee, a bread item, fruit and/or yogurt particularly on relatively short runs TATL between the East Coast and Europe.
On a DL flight JFK-BCN, the evening dinner was good, but we were ready for coffee and a bite for the arrival service.
It consisted of a frozen orange juice in a plastic cup, an equally frozen solid banana, joined by a frozen cup of yogurt. It was not edible.
In the same vain as when dinner was served and there was a choice of meals, the passenger sitting across the aisle asked the F/A "is there a choice?"
The F/A responded "Yes. Eat it or not."
Everyone handed back the frozen food items without further comment. The coffee was good.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:33 pm

June, 2017, Upper Deck 747-8 LAX-FRA: As we awoke over Britain, I awoke from my lie-flat seat and realized it was breakfast time. Despite the beautiful selection of breakfast entrees available in business class, all I wanted was liquid. And a LOT of it, thank you very much!!

Water, juice, and then coffee. That was really all I wanted.

Dehydration is an issue after a long flight, and food isn't the best option.

IPFreely

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:49 pm

jsnww81 wrote:
This is nothing more than the airlines falling back on their favorite excuse - "customer preferences" - as rationale for reduced service.

And the airlines would be right. Customers vote on what they prefer every day and what they vote for is what the airlines provide.

VSMUT

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:57 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

I agree 100%.

The eggs are never that good and I usually end up eating a bite or 2 and then maybe some of the potatoes and sausage, and then the fruit. The 2nd option of pancakes are usually just soggy and not good either. I would much prefer a pastry and/or yogurt but that isn't always an option.

Reheated McD's breakfast is better than what they serve on the plane.

That makes 3 of us then. Breakfast is almost impossible to pull off in a plane, even for business class. The best I've had are Asian style dishes, noodles etc. English style breakfast is just miserable. Continental breakfast can be decent if they put enough effort into it.

smallmj

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:41 pm

LMFNINJA wrote:
The most pathetic breakfast TATL has to be on Air Canada YYZ-CDG. You get a slice of banana bread. That's one of the reasons I detest AC economy class and avoid it on TATL.

I'm amazed that it took this long for the nuclear banana bread to come up. Foul.

Last time I flew AC TATL the kids meal was a much bigger muffin. Nothing special, nearly Tim Horton's quality - so a million times better than the banana bread. My son didn't like his muffin so the Daddy rule applied and I got something a bit more filling.

J343

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:48 pm

US-Europe flight normally leave in the evening and land early in the morning. I am a oneworld Sapphire card holder and I usually stuff myself in the lounges or if I'm peckish, I usually ask for just the main and dessert in one tray and go to sleep if I am flying in J, depending what's on the menu, I'll eat the meals served in PEY.

On a recent flight from DXB - LHR on BA106, it was a sleeper service, I asked for the main and dessert and headed straight to sleep, I opted for a continental breakfast and was then invited to use the arrivals lounge on arrival. Not a bad offering to be honest.

There are people who complain about only getting a snack box and a drink and cookie on very short haul flights i.e CX MNL-HKG v.v rather than a full meal but frankly it does not really bother me especially for a less than 2 hour flying time.

dampfnudel

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:57 pm

9w748capt wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:

$25 for a breakfast that costs the airline $2 tops? Hahaha are you serious? You really think price conscious Y pax would pay that?

Well, maybe $10 would be a more reasonable amount to expect if airlines ever offered this, at least to a not so price conscious Y pax.

flymia

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:58 am

I think departure time should dictate on these flights. For example if I am flying BA leaving from MIA at 11pm I don't need nor want a dinner service. Give me a snack and let me sleep until a nice breakfast. The other way around if I am leaving at 6:00pm then give me dinner and a small breakfast.

On west coast flights its a little different, but from the east there is just not enough time and some of the flights get in so early that you are not even hungry you just want something to go with coffee.
Last edited by flymia on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Rookie87

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:58 am

trexel94 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm sure i'm not the only one to have this thought. Why is it on the majority of TATL flights regardless of airline, the breakfast served in Y is minimal and threadbare? Aside from select flights on KL, BA and LH, breakfast in economy is seldom more than the likes of a puny bagel or a prepackaged muffin and a child sized fruit cup. I've even read stories of BA serving nothing more than a granola bar! Even in premium economy onboard carriers such as AA, the breakfast is laughable even on a 10hr flight such as DFW to EZE. AF will serve you a small crepe if you're lucky. From my observation, breakfast is the most complained about meal service in economy.

Meanwhile on KL, when I flew ATL-AMS in 2017 in Y, I received a full hot breakfast with eggs, potatoes, sausage, yogurt, fruit and a hot roll. It hit the spot and I was full well into the afternoon. DL, on the other hand just served a small croissant and fruit.

Common arguments
- "You can eat when you land" . Sure, I 'could' eat after arriving but unless I have club access or want to shell out additional $$$ at some airport restaurant it could be while and by then it will have been roughly 4 to 6 hrs since my last substantial meal. Besides, with that logic, why serve meals at all? Y passengers 'could' eat before departing or simply bring their own food. After all, who wants dinner at 10pm? I'm being sarcastic

- "Most cultures don't eat a large or hot breakfast" . Fair enough as i'm typing this from an American viewpoint, but how about something higher quality? Adding some cold-cuts, cheeses or even a larger full-sized pastry would be nice and wouldn't cost much more.

While there's nothing wrong with muffins or bagels especially on relatively short hops like YYZ-DUB a more substantial meal would go a long way and provide additional value. DL is expected to implement their new int economy service next month but from the looks of the PDX-NRT trial flight, the breakfast was the only meal that has regrettably not improved and that is a 9 1/2 hr flight.

Economy dinners (while decent) are small enough as is but "breakfast" is usually barely even a snack. Why is this? Is it purely cost, lack of galley space or something else? This ended up being more of a rant than question but thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

My pure guess would be customer preference, cost and stats. The airlines know how much they are wasting and make adjustments from what I've noticed during my crossings on the Atlantic. Meal options and volume reduce as you go down cabins, F, J, PE, Y. Last time I flew J on AA, breakfast was either a huge fruit bowl with yogurt etc or quiche Lorraine I think if not the american breakfast. Another time in PE, it was the fruit bowl; decent size but not as large as from J. In Y, a continental breakfast bag, granola, fig bar I think, can't remember the flavor, yogurt and something else. Hot drinks, juice etc were offered too. Can't remember the last time I had a hot breakfast on a US airline in Y

jjbiv

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:01 am

Meals from the west coast can be much better. Surprisingly I quite enjoyed the quality and quantity of food for dinner and breakfast from SFO-CDG two years ago on UA. If quantity is an issue, you can always ask for extra food after everyone has been served.

opticalilyushin

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:37 am

ChrisKen wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:

This would be an issue in many countries worldwide. The contents of such bags would be classed as international waste and should be destroyed properly, as the remains of the catering is. Not to mention the fines for unwary passengers, unknowingly "smuggling" their breakfast through customs.

My bad, what i meant was more along the lines of breakfast bags that are provided by the airport on arrival, like a trolley of them sitting on the jetbridge as the aircraft arrives, and you lift one if you want it. Your last sentence is a fair point though, especially for strict countries like Australia, where they may not know if that apple you eat at customs is your own or supplied by the airport..

chepos

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:22 am

My first TA crossing in Y was on DL
In 2005 (ATL-FRA on a 77E). I recall the whole flight like it was yesterday. The arrival snack was a croissant with an orange juice tub and a banana (all in a plastic type basket thing). It appears the croissant has since disappeared from the arrival setup.

Two years later in 2007, I flew AA JFK-LHR, they served a croissant prior to arrival into LHR. They served the thing on a tray. A little croissant on a dolly on this large tray. It was an 1155 pm departure out of JFK, yet a full dinner service was conducted and a snack prior to landing. It should have been reversed for such a late evening departure (departure
Snack, full breakfast for arrival).

Fly the Flag!!!!

ei146

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:07 am

Of all the people on a TATL flight not everyone's body clock is in the same time zone. I often came from a connecting flight with little or no food, no chance to pick something up at the airport, and had another connection after the TATL leg, again with no chance to grep something in the mess that LHR or CDG became. All the reasons given about people wanting to sleep and declining food are valid. But I usually can't sleep in those economy seats and would even pay to get something more. So why do we have this "one size fits all " approach?
I had some flights when I was literally starving. I asked cabin crew if there was anything left and occasionally I got something. Or I was eating the breakfast that travel companions or seat neighbours didn't want. Now I always bring a pack of trail mix (or Studentenfutter in German), chocolate or the like with me, so that I can get some calories when I need them.

Bongodog49

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Why is it that BA can serve a "full english" hot breakfast on a E190 flight out of LCY, but a passenger flying CW MCO - LGW gets a bacon roll ?
Its a while since I flew transatlantic in Y with any airline, but my memory of BA VS and UA is that the breakfast was equally awful. A little more than a few hard lumps of melon, a tasteless mini muffin and a cuplet of orange juice isn't too much to ask for is it ?

vhtje

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 pm

My one VS long-haul was on Y+ to LGW > HAV > LGW. Our return sector was overnight. For breakfast, in Y+ we were served a stale muffin and a rotten apple. I wish I was joking. Annoyingly, our friends in Y were served a full breakfast - eggs, potatoes. I never did work out why Y got a better breakfast to Y+. I can only assume some sort of catering blunder.

I am more familiar with the meagre offerings on BA, although I do not fly BA in Y very often TATL, being lucky enough these days to be mostly in premium cabins. This is a photo of BA Y LAX to LHR shows how mean BA can be. The weight of the Burrito is only 113g!:

Years ago when I was younger, I would go to Australia in Y. I remember QF's Y breakfasts were much more substantial, like this:

Admittedly BA includes a muffin, which QF does not, but QF's warm meal is much bigger than a meagre 113g burrito. Plus the portion of fruit is much larger.

Photo credits: http://www.airlinemeals.net. Be warned: you can lose hours on this website!
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Yflyer

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:13 pm

I, for one, am not usually all that hungry that early in the morning anyway. Combine that with jet lag and just the general fatigue of traveling and I'm even less hungry. I'd honestly prefer something light like a pastry, yogurt, and some fruit over a full hot breakfast on a TATL flight. If I were served a hot breakfast I'd attempt to eat it, but I'd probably end up only eating half of it at most.

DALMD80

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:42 pm

TATL Dinners don't look bad at all.
Farewell to the Mad Dogs- the first week of June 2020 will be remembered by most of us here on A.net as the day the Mad Dogs left.