edealinfo
Topic Author

Transfer of Reservation "Control" from Travel Agent to Airline

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:39 pm

If a person books a flight from North America to Europe/Africa/Asia from a TRAVEL AGENT and the flight is cancelled or disrupted on the day of travel or the day before, because of weather delays, WHO is responsible for making the change to alternative flights, so that a passenger may contact the appropriate party? Is only the travel agent agent allowed to make the change, or will the airline take direct charge and make the change, if requested by the passenger?

As you are aware, once a ticket is booked through a travel agent, the travel agent is in control of the reservation. My question pertains to as to at what point is this "control" passed from the travel agent to the airline? Is it, for example, 2, 24, or 48 hrs before a flight departure that the control formally passes to an airline?

Thanks in advance.

iadadd

Re: Transfer of Reservation "Control" from Travel Agent to Airline

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:42 pm

A few years ago I booked an Emirates trip via Expedia. According to Emirates, the reservation became in their control once I checked-in for the first leg of the trip.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:01 pm

iadadd wrote:
A few years ago I booked an Emirates trip via Expedia. According to Emirates, the reservation became in their control once I checked-in for the first leg of the trip.

But, what happens, if you are not checked in and then the flight is cancelled?

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:07 am

edealinfo wrote:
iadadd wrote:

Once you are checked in it becomes the airline's responsibility.

Until then it largely depends on the carrier. If you're flight is cancelled within 24 hours I would generally advise calling the airline first, but some airlines might still send you back to the travel agent if it isn't the day of departure.

When I was a travel agent we could still change tickets after check-in but would have to call the airline and have the check-in reversed and the tickets changed back to open status.

Once you are at the airport the staff there are always best placed to help you, but with online check-in these days many passengers are checked-in the day before or even earlier. In that instance a lot of passengers would still contact us and not the airline, and we would generally try not to push them away.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

citationjet

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:19 pm

edealinfo wrote:
iadadd wrote:

It is best to contact the airline in this scenario. The airline has much more authority to rebook you on a different routing or different airline (rule 240). The travel agent can do it, but the travel agent will have to contact the airline anyway. You might as well contact the airline directly.

As a side note, regarding checking in on-line for an international flight. There is no benefit in checking in the night before for an international flight, despite the fact most airlines send out emails the day before to encourage this. The issue is the airline ticket counter agents have to repeat the entire process; they must see your passport and print your luggage tags anyway. There is no benefit, and there is a chance you enter your passport number wrong which screws up your checkin at the airport. Also if you checked in a day early, the travel agent looses control of the reservation even earlier.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

zionite

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:30 am

Years ago when I was in college, I booked a ticket though a roadside travel agent for travel about 3-4 months in advance. 5-6 weeks later the travel agent was arrested and his agency was locked. Was worried that my ticket might have been cancelled. However no problems that time.

But, hypothetically, had I wanted to make some changes or cancel about a week before the flight, can the airline take control of the ticket? The agency's license was still valid but not in operation temporary.

That and few more incidents later, for personal travel, I decided to always book directly through airline's website.