dreamlinergirl
Topic Author

Personality Testing - Recruitment of Pilots

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:53 pm

As a student studying MSc international management; i have a background/interest in Aviation. For my thesis i am investigating personality testing in the recruitment stages of pilots and its effectiveness. Does the aviation industry favor personality over performance in the cockpit ? Therefore i am here to open up this topic to the forum and gain some opinions on this area.

AirPacific747

Re: Personality Testing - Recruitment of Pilots

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:01 pm

I’d say personality is more important than performance in cockpit to a certain extent as performance in the cockpit can be improved, but changing one’s personality is next to impossible.

But everything counts in the end.

VSMUT

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:59 pm

The industry favours personality testing over cockpit performance, for the simple reason that you can't really test pilots in the cockpit. It is just too expensive. Even simulators cost a fortune, and you will be lucky to have even an hour in the simulator at an interview.

In my opinion there is a mismatch between personality interviews and how people behave on the line and in the cockpit. Too many captains who have no problems passing a nice calm interview or test, but completely forget all basic multi-crew/CRM learning once exposed to a stressful situation. The type of captain who you can't trust to do a go-around or hand over controls to his first officer when something is amiss and he doesn't notice it.

AirPacific747

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:50 pm

VSMUT wrote:
The industry favours personality testing over cockpit performance, for the simple reason that you can't really test pilots in the cockpit. It is just too expensive. Even simulators cost a fortune, and you will be lucky to have even an hour in the simulator at an interview.

???

What?
Simulator testing has been part of all the recruitment rounds I’ve attended. Often it’s less than one hour though. Maybe 30-40 minutes.

And there’s a reason why we’re tested in the simulator biannually. Of course performance can be tested in a simulator. Everything that’s related to standard operating procedures and non normal procedures can be tested in a simulator.

VSMUT

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:38 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

???

What?
Simulator testing has been part of all the recruitment rounds I’ve attended. Often it’s less than one hour though. Maybe 30-40 minutes.

And there’s a reason why we’re tested in the simulator biannually. Of course performance can be tested in a simulator. Everything that’s related to standard operating procedures and non normal procedures can be tested in a simulator.

OP is asking about the recruitment process, not the annual simulator sessions.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:34 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

???

What?

Tested in the simulator every 2 years? That doesn’t seem to be very often. I’d argue the effectiveness of that.
Whatever

VSMUT

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:11 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

???

What?

Tested in the simulator every 2 years? That doesn’t seem to be very often. I’d argue the effectiveness of that.

He said biannually, not biennially.

HAWKXP

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:29 am

In hiring Tour helicopter pilots, personality was more important then performance. First, there were 50 applicants for each job. Second was the attitude that we had to retrain them to fly our way anyway. The high mimium hours were insurance driven. A 500 hour applicant might be a better choice then the 1500 hour person.

Max Q

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 am

VSMUT wrote:

In my opinion there is a mismatch between personality interviews and how people behave on the line and in the cockpit. Too many captains who have no problems passing a nice calm interview or test, but completely forget all basic multi-crew/CRM learning once exposed to a stressful situation. The type of captain who you can't trust to do a go-around or hand over controls to his first officer when something is amiss and he doesn't notice it.

Very true,

These are also the kind of Captains who preach at length on how they are totally’by the book’

Problem is it’s not a book anyone else has read..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Max Q wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Very true,

These are also the kind of Captains who preach at length on how they are totally’by the book’

Problem is it’s not a book anyone else has read..

But, having briefed that, when things go off the rails, the easy question is, “show me that in the book?” Usually pretty devastating. Too many evals gone south there.