Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

danman132x
Topic Author

Delta introduces Skymiles Select. Main cabin 1 boarding

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:13 pm

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/skymiles-select

Just saw this last night, Delta introducing a product called skymiles select, where the main benefit is main cabin 1 boarding. While technically 6, it's going to make finding overhead bin space even tougher than it is.

You also get free drink vouchers and a special baggage tag. Honestly Delta is the last company I would have thought to introduce something like this. I love Delta, they are my favorite US airline by far and like to fly them TATL, but this seems like a step backwards from everything else. Overhead bin space is already hard to find at times, and now you are promoting a product for more frequent travelers to pay more to get main 1 boarding. Eventually everyone will buy it and it will become the new normal. It does make it harder for less frequent travelers to find space, or tall people who are 6 ft plus to have less leg room if there is a bag under the seat in front. Yes the argument can be made to pay more and sit further up, but not everyone can.

This seems to be leading the way to carryon fees period, even for the companies that don't yet charge. Corporations all want to follow the "Amazon prime" model as I read in a place last night, charging subscription fees for everything. Guess a steady sure income trumps all in business, good for the company, bad for the consumer.

CHOWahoo

Re: Delta introduces Skymiles Select. Main cabin 1 boarding

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:19 pm

They recently began offering these benefits as part of my company's corporate contract. It's going to get to the point where there's no chance of bin space for Y passengers unless you purchase this "upgrade." And even then it may be a crapshoot.

DL747400

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Much marketing fuss about nothing, IMO. I anticipate an extremely low number of takers, which is good because the Main 1 boarding group is already so large.

My gut feeling is that this new group will simply be seen as a new gateway path for marketing to sell them on the virtues of the AMEX/DELTA SkyMiles credit card, which brings the Main 1 boarding and 1st checked bag fee. Perhaps this is one item in DELTA's toolkit they will will use to try to reach the targeted $7 billion in annual revenue from AMEX by 2023, as outlined in the recently announced contract renewal?

https://news.delta.com/american-express ... innovating
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

dtremit

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:17 pm

The number of people who'll pay $59 for this, but not $99 for the Gold AmEx, is probably pretty small.

Given CHOWahoo's comment above, I suspect this is something they developed for corporate contracts, and then decided to sell for incremental revenue.

einsteinboricua

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:36 pm

OK, so what's the point of the Delta AMEX cards? They're purging the elite ranks (understandable) but making Main Group 1 the largest boarding group. There's still benefit in saving $60 for one checked bag R/T (which means 2 round trips pay for the card), but that's probably the ONLY benefit that the card is good for. In the meantime, depending on where you fly out of, once your group is called, half the gate has already scanned their boarding pass and holds up the line (since the jetbridge is full).

At least throwing in drink vouchers with the cards would soften the blow
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

global1

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:47 pm

It’s smart.

Generates revenue and, more importantly, you’re more likely to book Delta on subsequent trips if you have these perks. The 8 drinks more than pays for the membership.

Others will soon copy.

WN732

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:13 pm

dtremit wrote:
The number of people who'll pay $59 for this, but not $99 for the Gold AmEx, is probably pretty small.

Given CHOWahoo's comment above, I suspect this is something they developed for corporate contracts, and then decided to sell for incremental revenue.

I have both. The thing is if you have an Amex Gold (non Skymiles branded version) you get a $100 credit towards anything ancillary with an airline of your choice, per year. That usually goes towards baggage fees but, it makes this an attractive offer for folks like me.

I also live in Austin, which makes Delta my 2nd choice carrier when traveling. They tend to have very good fares going to California, sometimes even matching WN.

Chemist

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:33 pm

So 90% of the plane is group 1 or earlier I assume. Great.