jamsco99
Topic Author

Jet2 unique rules

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:22 am

Have recently flown jet2 and there are a few rules they enforce that I've never seen before.

- no earphones to be worn whilst seat belt sign is on including take off and landing.

- you're not allowed to bring hot drinks onto the plane.

Do any other airlines enforce thess rules ?

BlueberryWheats

Re: Jet2 unique rules

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:33 am

jamsco99 wrote:
- no earphones to be worn whilst seat belt sign is on including take off and landing.

I like that rule, plus it's common sense.

EIJohn

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:42 am

Aer Lingus also don’t allow hot drinks to be brought on board. Too much risk of them spilling whilst stowing baggage etc.

jomur

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:20 am

The hot drink rule was brought in after a passenger spilled once on to another passenger and usually applies to drinks in takeaway cups with the lids that don't fit very well. If you bring your own cup with a screw top lid you can take it on board apparently.

OA260

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:35 am

jomur wrote:
The hot drink rule was brought in after a passenger spilled once on to another passenger and usually applies to drinks in takeaway cups with the lids that don't fit very well. If you bring your own cup with a screw top lid you can take it on board apparently.

Correct reusable flasks are permitted.

APYu

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:55 am

TUI and EZY don't allow hot drinks either
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

OA940

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:58 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
jamsco99 wrote:

Why exactly?
A350/CSeries = bae

Ryga

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:17 am

APYu wrote:
TUI and EZY don't allow hot drinks either

Incorrect

eagles94

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:28 am

Jet2 seem to take every caution under the sun to prevent un-necessary incidents like passengers hot drinks spilling onto passengers. They’re the only airline I see with red and white “AIRBRIDGE HERE” markers on all of their aircraft to prevent any unnecessary incidents too.

I suppose it boosts the inflight sales too, which they make tens of millions from each year. I guess they’re one of the most profitable airlines in the U.K. for a reason :lol:

seemyseems

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:36 am

I remember flying MT and not being allowed to take a hot drink onboard.

When I worked at Swissport we were told to actively halt passengers with hot drinks from boarding the aircraft and the PSA’s did the same at LS. This did lead to some arguments, but that’s the rules they wanted!

Also the earphones rule, the crew on my recent BE flights did request passengers remove earphones during the safety demo and whenever the seatbelt sign was on.
seemyseems in ATL

shamrock321

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:40 am

Jet2 also don’t serve alcohol on pre 8am departures which makes sense given the number of issues they have had in the past.

BlueberryWheats

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:06 am

OA940 wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
jamsco99 wrote:

Why exactly?

Why is it common sense to not wear headphones during takeoff and landing? I'm surprised this needs explaining, but because they are the most likely timeframes for an incident to occur, and the crew may suddenly start yelling instructions at you. Sometimes things can happen suddenly and you don't want to be distracted.

Examples... the A321 that came down in a field seconds after takeoff recently, the Sukhoi Superjet with the botched landing in Moscow, the SAS super 80 that crashed seconds after takeoff, the Asiana 777 that was flown into a seawall at SFO, the Saudia L1011 that burnt out after landing, the Hudson landing, the AA 767 and BA 777 which both caught fire while taxiing... etc etc etc.

OA940

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:21 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
OA940 wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

Why exactly?

Why is it common sense to not wear headphones during takeoff and landing? I'm surprised this needs explaining, but because they are the most likely timeframes for an incident to occur, and the crew may suddenly start yelling instructions at you. Sometimes things can happen suddenly and you don't want to be distracted.

Examples... the A321 that came down in a field seconds after takeoff recently, the Sukhoi Superjet with the botched landing in Moscow, the SAS super 80 that crashed seconds after takeoff, the Asiana 777 that was flown into a seawall at SFO, the Saudia L1011 that burnt out after landing, the Hudson landing, the AA 767 and BA 777 which both caught fire while taxiing... etc etc etc.

As someone who listens to music pretty loudly on every flight I've never had trouble hearing announcements. And considering that rule seems to only be in place at Jet2 (and maybe one or two others) it doesn't really seem like a major problem that needs to be taken care of.

As for in case of emergency there are basically 5 things you have to do and you're instructed to read the safety card for that exact reason. In the case of SK751, OZ214, and SU1492 those were crash landings, so passengers would be rushing to get out no matter what the crew told them, as they should. If there is a huge fire engulfing the little metal tube they're in they're not gonna sit around. That's basically why 301 people died on the L-1011 you mentioned (or at least some of them). The idea that if there was an emergency (such as a fire) people would be too distracted by music to notice the commotion and take their earphones off is absurd to say the least.

And to piggyback off your examples, OZ214 and SU1492 were sudden crash-landings. I sincerely doubt anyone knew what was happening beforehand, or that after they decided to put their headphones on. SV163 was an in-flight fire, and all the others involved events that were easily noticable by everyone. Earphones changed absolutely nothing in those cases, nor would they any other accident where the FAs have enough time to warn passengers beforehand.
A350/CSeries = bae

AWACSooner

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:03 pm

No earphones when the seatbelt sign is on? That's flat-out dumb. Hope the Chinese airlines don't get a hold of this, otherwise there will be widebodies full of pax not listening to their IFE the entire 14 hours from China to the US.

Almost as dumb as Skybus's rule you couldn't bring your own food or beverage onto their planes.

MHG

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:34 am

AWACSooner wrote:
Almost as dumb as Skybus's rule you couldn't bring your own food or beverage onto their planes.

Try to bring your food/drinks on a Scoot flight (belongs to Singapore Airlines) and you´re in for an "exciting surprise" ...
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

vfw614

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:21 am

shamrock321 wrote:
Jet2 also don’t serve alcohol on pre 8am departures which makes sense given the number of issues they have had in the past.

Why is a drunk passenger after 8am any better than a drunk passenger before 8am?

They will be able to solve that problem if they stop selling alcohol on board altogether (and refuse boarding intoxicated passengers who apparently think that a requirement for boarding is not only printing out your boarding pass, but also having half a dozen pints at an airport bar...). I really wonder if the all the constant trouble drunk passengers on airlines like Jet2 cause is really worth the additional turnover generated by selling alcohol on board.

GibbonUK

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:48 pm

In my experience Jet2 appear to be the more sensible of the LCC, trying to actively promote a friendly, enjoyable and safe environment to be in. (Yes, I know all airlines promote safety, but hopefully you understand my rhetoric in this) .

Albeit you do get the young groups on their pilgrimage to the Med, I never come across ones who appear to be as raucous on a Jet2 then I've seen on the other big 2 LCCs . Why, I don't know...but can only guess maybe that few extra £'s that it cost for a LS flight over, say, a U2 flight, may discourage some; or is it Jet2's company demeanour that prompts people to be more considerate...i.e they know they need to behave better..?? Or maybe Jet2's previous history of pursuing 'trouble makers' for the cost of any diversion has led to a better cliental?

Personally, the removing of my Walkman for 10 minutes is certainly not an issue, and I cannot see for any reason why it would be. Their planes, their policy...who I am to argue. It's like arguing with a nightclub bouncer why trainers can't be worn...you don't question that, so why defy Jet2 just because Girl's Aloud rendition of jump hasn't come to a conclusion in your ears before take-off.

My personal opinion based on flights to and from STN using LS is that I would actively chose them over the competition for the sake of a few pounds. The leg room makes BA look positively cattle class , friendly crew and flying from my local airport....I can live without a cuppa and Max bygraves for 10 mins!

TheWorm123

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:19 am

Jet2 also say no devices to be switched on during takeoff/landing so if you follow that rule your headphones will be pointless anyway.

I’m a huge fan of Jet2 however so I’ll admit I’m biased towards them, I asked the flight attendant nicely if I could visit the cockpit and she said spoke to the captain and arranged it for once we were at the gate.

Visiting the cockpit of a 757 was on my life’s bucket list and the pilots were great blokes, the captain even took my picture in his seat. Some kids noticed what we were doing as they left and he agreed to let them do the same.

They really know how to do customer service.
752 753 A332