Page 1 of 1

How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:20 pm
by Nicknuzzii
We all know how gate constrained UA is and will confine to be at least until the new terminal opens, but how can they expand in the meantime? I believe there are so many routes they that could make money on but simply haven’t put forward the effort. To me, FRA, BRU, and PEK amongst other domestic stations would all make sense, why don’t they “try more” from LAX?

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:28 pm
by Judge1310
You answered your own question in your first sentence... *where* do you think those operations can go? Yes, the routes are "there" but there are no facilities (at this time) in place to operate them.

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:47 pm
by Cointrin330
Nicknuzzii wrote:
We all know how gate constrained UA is and will confine to be at least until the new terminal opens, but how can they expand in the meantime? I believe there are so many routes they that could make money on but simply haven’t put forward the effort. To me, FRA, BRU, and PEK amongst other domestic stations would all make sense, why don’t they “try more” from LAX?


If the Terminal 9 project is realized, there will be more gate space available to UA and its Star Alliance partners, which will also allow them to co-locate operationally, something that cannot be done today. Doubtful you'll see UA fly to FRA, BRU, or even PEK from LAX, let alone expand much beyond what they already have long haul at LAX. FRA is well covered by LH, so aside from UA stepping in on a frequency to fill in for LH, I don't think you'll see it happen. BRU would depend heavily on connections on both ends. PEK or the new Beijing Airport will depend on slot allocations and again, the market between LAX and PEK is crowded. UA has SFO for TPAC and that will remain the focus of growth, not LAX, where there is a lot of competition.

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:49 pm
by gregn21
Wait for T9. They will get access to a few more wide body gates and will be able to add some of the destinations you mentioned. In reality though, most of UA’s Star partners have such large operations at LAX that a large long haul expansion with UA metal is totally unnecessary.

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:49 pm
by MIflyer12
UA could certainly upgauge and free up gate space for ten or more new destinations.

From FSDan's work on 2019 departures by hub:
LAX

CR2: 31
CR7: 7
E75: 22
320: 5
738: 20
739: 33
7M9: 8
752: 12
753: 11
789: 5
78J: 2
772: 4

Total = 160
62.5 % mainline


viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420611&p=21287349#p21287349

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:57 pm
by KFTG
Buy JetBlue.

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:29 pm
by WN732
MIflyer12 wrote:
UA could certainly upgauge and free up gate space for ten or more new destinations.

From FSDan's work on 2019 departures by hub:
LAX

CR2: 31
CR7: 7
E75: 22
320: 5
738: 20
739: 33
7M9: 8
752: 12
753: 11
789: 5
78J: 2
772: 4

Total = 160
62.5 % mainline


viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420611&p=21287349#p21287349


They can definitely cut down on the CR2 usage. Some airports like SCK need one but there's definitely room to upgauge elsewhere.

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:39 pm
by usxguy
there's also traffic constraints until the airfield pavement construction is all done

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 pm
by jplatts
Top domestic destinations that UA doesn't currently serve nonstop from LAX include DFW, PDX, ATL, MIA/FLL, MSP, PHL, DTW, MSY, BNA, MCI, STL, ABQ, CLT, TPA, IND, CVG, PIT, GEG, CMH, TUS, ELP, and MKE.

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:09 pm
by acavpics
I think it's pretty clear that UA prefers SFO any day over LAX as its primary west coast station. I wouldn't expect too much expansion in LAX in a short amount of time. And they also used to do LAX-FRA.

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:28 pm
by jplatts
UA could add LAX-PDX, LAX-MSY, LAX-BNA, LAX-MCI, and LAX-STL nonstop service as PDX, MSY, BNA, MCI, and STL are top non-US3 hub domestic destinations that UA doesn't currently serve nonstop from LAX.

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:10 am
by IPFreely
acavpics wrote:
I think it's pretty clear that UA prefers SFO any day over LAX as its primary west coast station. I wouldn't expect too much expansion in LAX in a short amount of time. And they also used to do LAX-FRA.


That was my thought on seeing the topic. UA is serving o/d at LAX; any expansion needs to be growth, there's no point in cannibalizing their own business by moving connections from SFO to LAX.

Re: How can UA expand at LAX?

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:20 pm
by ucdtim17
jplatts wrote:
Top domestic destinations that UA doesn't currently serve nonstop from LAX include DFW, PDX, ATL, MIA/FLL, MSP, PHL, DTW, MSY, BNA, MCI, STL, ABQ, CLT, TPA, IND, CVG, PIT, GEG, CMH, TUS, ELP, and MKE.


They also don't serve OAK, which is a much busier route than many of those listed. Obvious possibility whenever they get around to returning to OAK.