Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HP69
Topic Author

UA TPAC Expansion

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Aside from the new LAX/EWR-HND flights, UA hasn't added a new TPAC route since SFO-SIN in 2016. IAD/ORD-HND were switched from NRT, and the second SFO-SIN flight replaced the LAX flight. Meanwhile, they have downgauged multiple routes such as IAD-PEK (from 772 to 788), ORD-NRT/PEK/PVG (744 to 772) and even cut ORD-HKG. Has UA given up on the TPAC market? Are they going to make more serious cutbacks? Or will they turn it around and get ORD-HKG back up and make some logical adds like EWR-ICN, IAD/IAH-PVG, and LAX-PEK?

SFOtoORD

Re: UA TPAC Expansion

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:45 pm

HP69 wrote:
Aside from the new LAX/EWR-HND flights, UA hasn't added a new TPAC route since SFO-SIN in 2016. IAD/ORD-HND were switched from NRT, and the second SFO-SIN flight replaced the LAX flight. Meanwhile, they have downgauged multiple routes such as IAD-PEK (from 772 to 788), ORD-NRT/PEK/PVG (744 to 772) and even cut ORD-HKG. Has UA given up on the TPAC market? Are they going to make more serious cutbacks? Or will they turn it around and get ORD-HKG back up and make some logical adds like EWR-ICN, IAD/IAH-PVG, and LAX-PEK?

They have made SFO-SIN and SFO-PVG double daily and SFO-HKG is intended to go double (we will see). I believe ICN is 10x weekly now. They’ve also added SFO-DEL. Saying they’ve given up is pretty silly. Asia is a continent w some massive cities and long distances from North America so less of the kind of routes you see from the East Coast to European secondary markets.

Sydscott

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:46 pm

HP69 wrote:
Has UA given up on the TPAC market?
Yes. UA won't be drawing down further but I'd say their SFO hub is living by a thread and would be much better off in the hands of DL. UA should cash out now.

HP69 wrote:
Are they going to make more serious cutbacks?
More cutbacks would destroy the market value of their hubs when they are broken up and sold off. So no there won't be more cutbacks.

HP69 wrote:
Or will they turn it around and get ORD-HKG back up and make some logical adds like EWR-ICN, IAD/IAH-PVG, and LAX-PEK?
Nope they've given up on it and it's game over. See my first response, everything is for sale at the right price............

Ishrion

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:48 pm

When was IAH-SYD added? SFO-MEL? LAX-MEL? SFO-DEL? Are we not counting these as TPAC?

CriticalPoint

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Sydscott wrote:
HP69 wrote:
Has UA given up on the TPAC market?
Yes. UA won't be drawing down further but I'd say their SFO hub is living by a thread and would be much better off in the hands of DL. UA should cash out now.

HP69 wrote:
Are they going to make more serious cutbacks?
More cutbacks would destroy the market value of their hubs when they are broken up and sold off. So no there won't be more cutbacks.

HP69 wrote:
Or will they turn it around and get ORD-HKG back up and make some logical adds like EWR-ICN, IAD/IAH-PVG, and LAX-PEK?
Nope they've given up on it and it's game over. See my first response, everything is for sale at the right price............

I can usually pick up on sarcasm pretty well......but I think there are people out there that might actually believe this.........

CriticalPoint

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:51 pm

HP69 wrote:

You are missing ALOT. If you are going to make an analysis And suggest an airline has given up then you need to some research first.

CALMSP

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:11 pm

You do know why ORD-HKG was cut, right?

Prost

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Yup, the largest carrier across the Pacific has obviously given up.

Airlines0613

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:18 pm

HP69 wrote:

This is incorrect in so many ways.

First of all, do you know what’s happening in HKG. If you do, that would explain the adjustments in HKG.
Secondly, UA has the largest TPAC market share out of any other airline in the Americas. Do you really think they’re just going to give it up.
Thirdly, quite of big new flights have been launched and many have been mentioned by other posters.
Lastly, they are down-gauging to free up larger aircraft for other markets that have better yields. They are better placing their aircraft as they get new ones on the ground. Also, many flights have been upgraded as well, including SYD and others.

Even though UA continues to grow in the TPAC market, obviously it has given up, so I don’t know what I’m thinking, believing they are growing. Time to give up and make room for DL. :duck:
Last edited by Airlines0613 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 pm

Well United launched IAH-SYD in January 2018 and will launch SFO-MEL next month. Last time I checked Australia was still on the other side of the Pacific.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Nicknuzzii

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 pm

For all of you attacking the thread may I ask what information or sources you have to counter the argument because so far I have seen none.

HP69
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
For all of you attacking the thread may I ask what information or sources you have to counter the argument because so far I have seen none.

Thank you. Everything I stated was fact backed up by sources.

Fuling

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:41 pm

HP69 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

HP69, you suggested that UA has given up on TPAC, yet you also reminded us of the HND changes, and missed the frequency increases. Does that sound like giving up?

Ishrion

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:42 pm

HP69 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

So... are we counting Oceania as TPAC? Because in recent years, they've added flights such as:
- SFO-PPT
- SFO-MEL
- Increased PPT to year-round
- Increased SFO-AKL to year-round
- SFO-DEL
- IAH-SYD
- Increased SFO-ICN.

People are attacking you because of the question "Has United given up on the TPAC market?" when they obviously have not. If you look at the recent expansions, they are adding service, not cutting it (aside from political issues with HKG).

smi0006

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:49 am

Ishrion wrote:
When was IAH-SYD added? SFO-MEL? LAX-MEL? SFO-DEL? Are we not counting these as TPAC?

I always find that odd that some how US to AU routes despite crossing massive amounts of the Pacific often don’t appear to be considered as TPAC on here. Where from an AU side we generally do!

SFO-MEL starts at the end of the month doesn’t it? And SFO-SYD goes to a 77W at the same time I believe? Interesting if we see a SFO-BNE in the coming years? I’d say so, Queensland government has been active in incentivising carriers recently - QF (SFO,ORD) NZ (OOL,MCY,CNS) I could see them working with UA for SFO and LAX especially if UA sense VA as weak, or preempt them starting SFO, or SEA with DL.

Airlines0613

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:14 am

HP69 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

I don’t see any sources on your posts either.

If you want sources, here you go:
www.united.com
United Airlines Fleet thread

Sydscott

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:19 am

HP69 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

I agree with you, UA has clearly given up on the TPAC market and are very clearly preparing their TPAC hub at SFO for sale probably to DL. It totally makes sense.

Sydscott

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:22 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
I can usually pick up on sarcasm pretty well......but I think there are people out there that might actually believe this.........

I sometimes find it difficult to strike the right balance in my "Shade". Please feel free to elaborate on any of my points to make sure people understand just how necessary it is for United to sell out of SFO and get out of TPAC as soon as possible...............

IPFreely

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:47 am

HP69 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
You should check with your reliable sources.

???

Your reliable sources. The ones who gave you this information:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1431599&p=21678155#p21678155

SCFlyer

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:00 am

smi0006 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I always find that odd that some how US to AU routes despite crossing massive amounts of the Pacific often don’t appear to be considered as TPAC on here. Where from an AU side we generally do!

SFO-MEL starts at the end of the month doesn’t it? And SFO-SYD goes to a 77W at the same time I believe? Interesting if we see a SFO-BNE in the coming years? I’d say so, Queensland government has been active in incentivising carriers recently - QF (SFO,ORD) NZ (OOL,MCY,CNS) I could see them working with UA for SFO and LAX especially if UA sense VA as weak, or preempt them starting SFO, or SEA with DL.

If UA felt they could make money on the BNE route despite an established QF and had UA considered the joint venture between VA/DL as "weak" and felt they could've taken QF and VA/DL on by themselves, UA would've been on the BNE-SFO/LAX route by now. In addition, BNE naturally has a lower high yielding base as opposed to the "big two" cities down south.

PS did recently single out LAX as one of the few "profitable" routes of VAi's operations, even if it is propped up by the DL partnership and feed.

Also BNE-LAX is already too saturated, as QF are "right-sizing" on this route by moving LAX capacity to SFO in addition to starting ORD flights.