Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

max999
Topic Author

Experienced travel vlogger: scammed by airline

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:01 pm

https://youtu.be/Ced_zdXQm-A

This travel vlogger with over 300 flights says he was scammed by Blue Panorama airline. He was flying from Albania to Milan Italy. His check in was denied because his middle name was not on the ticket. He had to buy a brand new ticket to board the flight.

He says his first name, last name, date of birth, and passport number all match. He continues to say that in his experience with over 300 flights, he only used first and last name with no problems. He asked the airline if it's possible to pay a fee to do a name change but he was only given the option to buy a new ticket.

What do you all think? Is this a scam? I think it's a scam when the airline did not allow him the option to do a ticket make change. It seems scammy that they forced him to buy a new ticket.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

BoardingPass

Re: Experienced travel vlogger: scammed by airline

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:04 pm

Not all the airlines allow the name change (most legacy airlines do not allow it)

Lrockeagle

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:10 pm

I’ve never used my middle name on well over 500 flights. And actually only ever had trouble when I DID try to use it on a BA MSY-LHR flight; it added my middle initial to the end of my first name. I also don’t go by my full first name and sometimes corporate travel books me under the name I go by instead of my actual name and that hasn’t been an issue, either
Lrockeagle
14 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

max999
Topic Author

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:11 pm

BoardingPass wrote:
Not all the airlines allow the name change (most legacy airlines do not allow it)

I just did a Google search for two legacy airlines... Name change seemed to be allowed

Delta https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us ... olicy.html

British airways https://www.britishairways.com/travel/a ... faqid=3329

DUSZRH

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:13 pm

I have over a thousand flights under my first and last name only. Never an issue. If it would have been the other way around (MXP-TIA), I would advise to sue for damages because of denied boarding....

jetblueguy22

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Hasn’t this happened before? I remember reading something similar about them maybe six weeks ago
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

teachpdx

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:16 pm

It’s a low cost airline tactic. When they say put your name “exactly as it appears in your passport” you need to do just that. I’ve heard plenty of stories just like this one. And you need to be very careful when flying in other countries that may do first and last name in a different order... when booking online I’ve almost switched my first and last name a couple times.
Up Next: THIS YEAR IS CANCELLED!!!

andrefranca

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:26 pm

According to their own terms and conditions: "The wrong typing of the name is tolerated up to a maximum of three characters if it does not involve the substitution or confusion in the identification of the passenger. In this case it is not necessary to issue a new booking confirmation or boarding card."

so my 2 cents: either the check in staff is ill trained or outsourced which tends to be problematic (remember the KLM check in staff refusing a filipino bound to Brazil because they "thought" the pax would not have money or valid reason to travel there, they are not inmigration to decide... the pax had return tickets, hotel proof and was bound to the catholic chuch juvenile meeting.

Oh and I forgot, let`s be honest..... blue panorama is an italian airlines.................. needless to say.

shamrock350

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Never had this problem whether flying with a legacy carrier or low cost airline, my first and last name has always been sufficient despite my passport officially listing all three names.

This just appears to be a sneaky tactic by the airline to extort extra cash from passengers. Blue Panorama, like most airlines, probably have a rule about listing names exactly as shown but while the majority of other airlines are happy to accept first and last, Blue Panorama are likely aware they can sting passengers for the "mistake" and refer to their rules to back them up.

Turnhouse1

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Sounds very odd, I've just had a quick glance at my folder of downloaded boarding passes, over the last decade and on a mix of Legacy and Budget carriers in the EU. They're all in the format "Surname Firstname Mr" or "Mr Firstname Surname" I'm fairly confident if requested I'd put my middle name in if asked when making the booking or checking in as it's on my passport. But it's ignored when generating boarding passes. I'm not actually aware of Blue Panorama, but is it possibly a way of driving traffic to his youtube travel vlog?

Waterbomber2

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:33 pm

It depends on what is written in front of the blanks when you book a ticket. If it says Given names or given name(s) you are supposed to fill in your middle name as well.
If it just says First Name you are fine not filling in your middle name.
The policy is shifting towards filling all your given names, so you need to watch out.
This is also the case for travel to the USA as for ESTA, the name on the ticket needs to match the name on the passport.
I can tell you that this is a very Italian thing though.
When it comes to bureaucracy, Italy is very very precise. The trend is that bureaucracy takes priority over general well-being.
I entered a court auction to purchase a foreclosed house in Italy recently, had to jump through a lot of insane hoops to bring in a valid electronic bid, and then the bidding was cancelled over an ad that was published too late by a newspaper.

andrefranca

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:38 pm

IT IS A SCAMM!!!! Just went online and found DOZENS of people complaining they have being denied boarding due to this "lack"of middle name on their tickets, they are probably going bankrupt and are using this as a last life line...

lugie

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:02 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
It depends on what is written in front of the blanks when you book a ticket. If it says Given names or given name(s) you are supposed to fill in your middle name as well.
If it just says First Name you are fine not filling in your middle name.
The policy is shifting towards filling all your given names, so you need to watch out.
This is also the case for travel to the USA as for ESTA, the name on the ticket needs to match the name on the passport.
I can tell you that this is a very Italian thing though.
When it comes to bureaucracy, Italy is very very precise. The trend is that bureaucracy takes priority over general well-being.
I entered a court auction to purchase a foreclosed house in Italy recently, had to jump through a lot of insane hoops to bring in a valid electronic bid, and then the bidding was cancelled over an ad that was published too late by a newspaper.

On my last three flights into the US I only used my first and last name on my ticket even though the ESTA form (on 1 instance) / my student visa (on the other 2) had my full passport name, including a middle name.
Never had any problems - not at check-in, not at the secondary document screening that AC performed in the gate area, not at boarding and not during immigration. Not even when I got an SSSS on my BP.

I truly believe this is a cheap trick to make some extra money.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

mjoelnir

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:16 pm

It is possible to get away with not writing your complete name as it is written in your passport. The point is not that there will be trouble, but there can be trouble. I know a person who had trouble in USA immigration with on letter wrong and that was in the middle name.
Write your name as it is written in your passport or other identification you use and be careful if you have a double last or family name, that both are in the right category. Right your middle name under first names, when there is no space for a middle name.

VSMUT

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:26 pm

If it is on your passport, just put it in the reservation. It costs nothing at all. These scams are as old as the internet, there should really not be any excuses for not doing it.

9w748capt

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:43 pm

I'm sorry but this guy has taken 300 flights? And didn't think to put his full name as it matches his passport? This is 100% on him. I put my middle name even on any domestic US tickets I purchase. I know TSA won't care but why take the risk?

runway23

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:47 pm

9w748capt wrote:
I'm sorry but this guy has taken 300 flights? And didn't think to put his full name as it matches his passport? This is 100% on him. I put my middle name even on any domestic US tickets I purchase. I know TSA won't care but why take the risk?

Because in Europe nobody does. 99% of people put first name last name and that’s it.

TMccrury

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:47 pm

When I fly DL or Skyteam, my info is stored in the DL profile as it appears in the passport. Never a problem. Before 9-11, my wife and I flew to NZ on UA and the travel agent horribly misspelled our last names. I called them and they said nothing they could do (corporate had sent the info over to the travel agency and booked it). I called UA and they noted it in my reservation and all was good. Got to the airport, checked in the lady commented on the name and the note in the res about it. She said, that is really screwed up. I agreed. We flew to NZ with no issues.

AirlineCritic

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:49 pm

It is a scam. Unacceptable.

runway23 wrote:
Because in Europe nobody does. 99% of people put first name last name and that’s it.

Can confirm.

32andBelow

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:50 pm

BoardingPass wrote:

They all allow it for clear mistakes. They just don’t want to reselling the ticket to someone else.

max999
Topic Author

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:02 pm

andrefranca wrote:
IT IS A SCAMM!!!! Just went online and found DOZENS of people complaining they have being denied boarding due to this "lack"of middle name on their tickets, they are probably going bankrupt and are using this as a last life line...

I just did a Google search and other people have experienced the same middle name scam.

Some people claimed they were forced to pay a €50 name change fee at the airport. When they got the new boarding pass, their middle name wasn't even printed! That means the airport agent took their money and didn't even make the effort to change the ticket in the system!

rbavfan

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:12 pm

32andBelow wrote:
BoardingPass wrote:

They all allow it for clear mistakes. They just don’t want to reselling the ticket to someone else.

If you have to buy another ticket to fix it they would not have to resell your old ticket. They already have the money on 2 seats. If they do manage to resell it at the airport during check in thats just 3 ticket sales for 2 passengers. But depending on where it's done the chance of resell can be slim to none after check in times.

But I agree with the person that said he is an experienced blogger/traveler and he probably has been doing it in hopes of creating a scandle buzz to drive people to his web site. Otherwise why put his link in the post.

Efhkspotter

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:20 pm

Just went to their website for booking a ticket. Name field clearly says MIDDLE NAME if any and a pop up window opens "Any incorrect or incomplete compilation of name and surname data, as present on the identity documents, entails the right of the Airline to deny boarding to the passenger.".

Stupid passenger not reading instructions. Can only blame himself.

spacecadet

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:54 pm

VSMUT wrote:
If it is on your passport, just put it in the reservation. It costs nothing at all. These scams are as old as the internet, there should really not be any excuses for not doing it.

Easy to say when your name is actually accepted by the reservation system. My wife has a legally hyphenated last name - many airline reservation systems won't accept even that. On her passport, since Japan can't deal with hyphenated last names either, her married name (my last name) is in parentheses. Try entering a parentheses in literally *any* airline reservation system.

You can make a statement like yours when the airlines actually start accepting names as they're written in people's passports.

Anyway, I don't know why everything has to be a debate. Can we all not agree that this is a stupid, greedy policy? The point is ostensibly so the airline knows you are who your passport says you are. Is anyone arguing that this is not possible if you don't include your middle name on your reservation - or a parentheses?
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

VSMUT

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:36 pm

spacecadet wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Easy to say when your name is actually accepted by the reservation system. My wife has a legally hyphenated last name - many airline reservation systems won't accept even that. On her passport, since Japan can't deal with hyphenated last names either, her married name (my last name) is in parentheses. Try entering a parentheses in literally *any* airline reservation system.

You can make a statement like yours when the airlines actually start accepting names as they're written in people's passports.

Anyway, I don't know why everything has to be a debate. Can we all not agree that this is a stupid, greedy policy? The point is ostensibly so the airline knows you are who your passport says you are. Is anyone arguing that this is not possible if you don't include your middle name on your reservation - or a parentheses?

Debate? It's reality mate. Unfair as it is, capitalism is going to try to suck your wallet dry at every corner. The best thing you can do is have her name changed. I know plenty of people who did because of unique letters and symbols that make them close to impossible to use outside the home country.

flyingclrs727

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:32 pm

I always make my tickets exactly the same as my passport or driver's license (they are identical).

When getting tickets for my wife, it's more complicated. Her passport still uses her maiden name, while her driver's license and US permanent resident card have her married name. When she travels domestically, she uses either her driver's license or permanent residence ID. When she flies internationally, she flies under the name on her passport.

When she traveled to Ukraine in 2017 to renew her passport to a biometric passport that allows visa free travel to the EU, she didn't have enough time to get her name changed. The Ukrainian government forcibly changed the spelling of her last name to conform to Ukrainian language conventions. Fortunately Turkish Airlines knew about the spelling changes and let her board her return flight to the US.

fessor

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:54 am

I never use middel name simply because there are no space for it at most airlines in the booking system.
And if the field is there I even tried it's not on the issued ticket.

jetwet1

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:27 am

Efhkspotter wrote:
Just went to their website for booking a ticket. Name field clearly says MIDDLE NAME if any and a pop up window opens "Any incorrect or incomplete compilation of name and surname data, as present on the identity documents, entails the right of the Airline to deny boarding to the passenger.".

Stupid passenger not reading instructions. Can only blame himself.

Yep, it's not as if they hide the fact that they require the name exactly as on the passport, sorry folks, it's not a scam, if someone cannot be bothered to read the instructions, follow those instructions and then presses "I agree" and purchases the ticket, it's on them.

tommy1808

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:41 am

AirlineCritic wrote:
It is a scam. Unacceptable.

runway23 wrote:

Can confirm.

I am European, never use my middle name, even owe friends don't know it unless they have seen my passport.
I still put it in when it says name(s) or explicitly middle name.

Low cost airlines are nothing new, it's not a scam, it's just greed, just like Ryanairs airport printed boarding passes....

spacecadet wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Can we all not agree that this is a stupid, greedy policy?

Yup, on that we can agree.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Adipocere

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:15 am

What do you do if you don’t have a middle name? Then how do you satisfy the requirement to use a middle name??

hoons90

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 am

Once upon a time, I realized that I forgot to put in my middle name on a Lufthansa reservation. I spoke to two different agents and they assured me that it would be absolutely no problem at all, and indeed everything went smoothly.

However, going forward I guess it's best to play it safe and include it in all reservations! I heard Vietnam Airlines can also be strict regarding including the middle name.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

VSMUT

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Adipocere wrote:
What do you do if you don’t have a middle name? Then how do you satisfy the requirement to use a middle name??

Middle name usually isn't a mandatory field. Just leave it unfilled.

Aesma

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:26 pm

What exactly is a middle name, for starters ? In France we don't have this. You have one or several (with no limit on the number) first name(s), 99% of people will use the first one and keep the others for themselves. I did the ESTA the other day and was surprised to have to mention my 2nd first name. We definitely don't do the "First name [first letter of middle name] last name" thing.

I have a gripe with Wikipedia in English because they list French people with "name name name name name surname" which is totally ridiculous, outside of when talking about ascendancy (as often the other names are from grandparents, cousins etc.).

I have only 2 names so I could use both without too much trouble (and they're not long), but someone with 5 or 6, it would never fit in most forms.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

dangerhere

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:02 pm

I like the guy’s videos but he is 100% at fault here. If you check the airline website, they clearly ask for name, with any middle names included, right in the box where you enter your name!

CPHFF

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:32 pm

It's definitely a "scam", or at least bad business practice.

Read the online reviews on this airline. It's common
If it weren't for UAW, Detroit would shine!

dangerhere

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 pm

CPHFF wrote:
It's definitely a "scam", or at least bad business practice.

Read the online reviews on this airline. It's common

Eh how can it be a scam? It's clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions, which you have to agree to to buy the ticket! It also warns you in the passenger details field and underlined for slow learners in the FAQ section. I'm no fan of ULCCs but you cannot blame the airline if their customers don't bother to read the conditions of carriage and then complain when they get a shock later on. More surprising is the guy is German and really should know better, as it's a part of life here knowing what the hell you're signing up to. And it's not bad business practice either because the legacy airlines do exactly the same if you don't follow their rules.

Just because people complain online does not automatically mean it is a scam. People complain about every single airline stealing their bags online.

Chemist

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:39 am

The middle name issue is a mess as it is so inconsistently used all over the world. Usually it doesn't matter, sometimes it does.

As a US citizen, our passports say Last Name and Given Name(s). It never mentions middle. Some airlines ask only for first and last. Others have a place for middle. We were sweating it once as there was no request for middle name from a small European airline, so we didn't enter one. We then realized the ticket said First Last but our passport said Name Name Last.

Since the US passport doesn't really distinguish middle from first, my wife and I have taken to using two first names and no middle name. So for example, if my name was:

William Quincy Smith (first, middle, last)
then I would enter into the reservation system:

First: William Quincy
Middle (if asked for): not entered
Last: Smith

In this way what the ticket says always matches the passport whether they ask for a middle name or not.

vhqpa

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:07 am

When I did a travel agency course ten years ago it was drummed into us to enter the clients name as it appeared in their documentation.

I never go by my middle name but for an International ticket I'll always enter it just to cover myself from these sort of problems. If the airline doesn't have a specific field for a middle name I'll enter it in the given names/first name field with a space so if my name was Jack Cameron Thomas I'd enter "Jack Cameron" and "Thomas".

For domestic flights within Australia, and New Zealand. I usually don't worry about a middle name, but for domestic flights elsewhere, as well as intra Schengen. I'll add my middle name just to err on the side of caution.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"