Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DL747400

Re: Updated: Chaos at LAX with new TNC restrictions

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:20 pm

Not a good first day:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/l ... ar-AAJD01m

It sure seems like everyone (except the people running LAX?) knew this was going to be a clustermess. I've heard people say they decided weeks ago to specifically avoid LAX until this all gets sorted out. As a passenger this is certainly not the type of experience you want to endure at either the front or backend of your trip. Hopefully they can get this fixed quickly.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

SocalApproach

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:30 pm

I think it’s hilarious. The ugly green busses are just stuck in traffic trying to get into the lot. The horseshoe is now free of traffic but the entrance to a LAX Is a mess because there is hundreds of thousands of Uber’s trying to get it in along with everyone else. This isn’t going to work. It should have been made farther offsite because all they did was congest century blvd doing this.

FluidFlow

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:57 pm

As both, the airport and Uber/Lyft, want and need to make money, they could just charge a surcharge of 50$ for a drop off/hop on for every ride to LAX. There is no problem in this as you just flag the whole area of LAX and when a location for pick up or drop off is inside them perimeters you charge +50$ on the trip. This money gets halved between the two companies. At least cash in on this problem and then use the profit to build facilities with it to accommodate the traffic.

max999

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:26 pm

My understanding is that curb side pickups are still available for premium options like Uber black. The lesson here is: if you want convenience and speed you got to pay up for it.

This is a form of congestion pricing... I'm sure many drivers are familiar with the variable pricing on highway express lanes. Pay more to use the fast lane during traffic congestion. Only allowing Uber blacks to pick up curb side is a similar concept.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

MIflyer12

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:54 pm

This wasn't going to start well as a Big Bang: telling tens of thousands of arriving passengers to change the behavior they've been using for decades (for taxis, if not Uber/Lyft) and instead to take a shuttle to their ride. But, it's not like they could test this terminal-by-terminal. They'll fix it. No solution will satisfy everyone, and there are lot of facility constraints proximate to LAX. Doing nothing forever really wasn't an option.

LAXintl

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:56 pm

Amazingly quick times in the CTA loop again.

As of 07:15 AM
Upper Level : 9min
Lower Level: 5 min
Time to Terminal 1:
- From Sepulveda/Westchester: 3 min
- From Century/405: 5 min
- Via 105 from 405: 7 min
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

airbazar

Re: LAX to end curbside pick-ups by rideshare companies, taxis

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:01 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
Paris and Amsterdam have significantly higher population density than the LA basin. All of the transit systems in the US lose money on a per pax basis. In some cases they lose more than 3x what the person pays. All of those systems exist because of lots of gov't subsidies.

That's true EVERYWHERE. That's why it's called public transportation. The word "public" meaning it's paid for with public money = taxes.
Public transportation is not meant to be a for-profit business. Its financial benefits are ancillary. Only people in the U.S. have this delusional idea that public transportation is a business. It's not. It's a government service paid for by taxes. In other countries like France and Netherlands that public transportation subsidy usually comes from gas taxes. They have good public transportation because they pay 80% tax on gasoline. We pay $.10. No different than how we pay for public roads and why they are a disaster.
Last edited by airbazar on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janders

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:14 pm

The whole point of this exercise was to ease the loop traffic which seems exactly what has happened.

The operation of the remote lot can be worked on, but taking away traffic from the central airport loop was the priority.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Cubsrule

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:46 pm

max999 wrote:
My understanding is that curb side pickups are still available for premium options like Uber black. The lesson here is: if you want convenience and speed you got to pay up for it.

This is a form of congestion pricing... I'm sure many drivers are familiar with the variable pricing on highway express lanes. Pay more to use the fast lane during traffic congestion. Only allowing Uber blacks to pick up curb side is a similar concept.

It's a similar concept and also one that a number of other airports have implemented. In southern California, SAN has had it for at least a couple of years.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ikramerica

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Everyone who thinks its unfair now remember this:

Uber is a “disruptor”. Their business model is one involving losing BILLIONS of dollars in an effort to drive taxis and rideshares and even public transit into the red until Uber (Lyft) become all that’s available or convenient.

Problem is, there is no right to do such a thing. They were overloading the airport. The convenience for their customers came at the expense of everyone else.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

MrBretz

Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:24 pm

LAX is adding more buses to help. Hopefully it will work out.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/20 ... gage-racks

JHwk

Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:21 pm

ikramerica wrote:

Uber is a “disruptor”. Their business model is one involving losing BILLIONS of dollars in an effort to drive taxis and rideshares and even public transit into the red until Uber (Lyft) become all that’s available or convenient.

Problem is, there is no right to do such a thing. They were overloading the airport. The convenience for their customers came at the expense of everyone else.

Uber and Lyft are paying fees to LAX; they have as much rights as the shuttle busses and taxis.

Personally my grief is with not being able to use a taxi from curbside when I am not traveling light. Next month I will come in with three 50# bags and some hand luggage after a long trip. Since an UberBlack can still pick up at the terminal that will likely be my strategy, but normally we would just take a taxi.

MrBretz

Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:56 pm

max999 says “premium services” such as uber black car can use the inner curb for pickup. Does anyone know if SuperShuttle’s non-shared vans, called Execucar, can do the same thing? And as I type that, I wonder if max999 meant outer curb.

ikramerica

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:59 pm

JHwk wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

Uber and Lyft are paying fees to LAX; they have as much rights as the shuttle busses and taxis.

Personally my grief is with not being able to use a taxi from curbside when I am not traveling light. Next month I will come in with three 50# bags and some hand luggage after a long trip. Since an UberBlack can still pick up at the terminal that will likely be my strategy, but normally we would just take a taxi.

I philosophically disagree. I don’t care who you pay/bribe. If your business model is to use unchecked billions of dollars to drive other established businesses into bankruptcy until you can take over, you are a bad actor.

This is a complete bastardization of capitalism. It’s predicated on playing the long con to create a future monopoly/duopoly. It’s harmful to society.

You are rooting for Mr. Potter. Merry Christmas Bedford Falls.

I agree about the collateral damage of the taxis being moved. I think it created a hardship for anyone who needs assistance be it you, or an elderly person, a family, or a disabled person.

There should be a provision like at many airports where you can wait in line and the airport has an employee who calls a cab from a holding lot.

JHwk

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 pm

ikramerica wrote:
I philosophically disagree. I don’t care who you pay/bribe. If your business model is to use unchecked billions of dollars to drive other established businesses into bankruptcy until you can take over, you are a bad actor.

Of course the companies are complete sh!t, but in the specific context of the airport their corporate responsibility doesn’t really play in.

The airport is going to 42-44 busses; by my math they are going to need at least 60 at peak times to provide a reasonable level of service; that is the main flaw I see in this. If the level of service is inadequate then we will be back at more people skirting the system with limo/black cars and will be back to square 1.

All that said, the fact that it has improved traffic on the Sepulveda tunnel is really what matters. The previous situation was dangerous, so at least there is some relief there. I’m sure more improvements will come, but collateral problems like more rental cars need to be addressed. LAX is supposed to serve LA, not the other way around.

ikramerica

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:04 am

JHwk wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

Of course the companies are complete sh!t, but in the specific context of the airport their corporate responsibility doesn’t really play in.

The airport is going to 42-44 busses; by my math they are going to need at least 60 at peak times to provide a reasonable level of service; that is the main flaw I see in this. If the level of service is inadequate then we will be back at more people skirting the system with limo/black cars and will be back to square 1.

All that said, the fact that it has improved traffic on the Sepulveda tunnel is really what matters. The previous situation was dangerous, so at least there is some relief there. I’m sure more improvements will come, but collateral problems like more rental cars need to be addressed. LAX is supposed to serve LA, not the other way around.

In my experience, limos always parked in ST and came inside to help with luggage. They were never the problem. They don’t clog the loop in any meaningful way.

As for corporate responsibility, it comes into play any time a public agency is involved. Accommodating a new, bad actor at the expense of established good citizens may be fine for a “heartless corporation” but a public agency can act in the greater good. Happens all the time.

Chemist

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:35 am

Honestly if you have a wheeled bag, it's easier to walk to the pickup lot. Even from the furthest point (Terminal 4), unless you are mobility challenged or it's raining. No way would I wait an hour to haul my bags onto a bus that then picks up more people just to travel to 0.6 miles away. I'll walk. There are signals and walkways and sidewalks the entire way, whether you go by Bradley or go down 4>5>6 and then cross over.

DTWLAX

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Have not used the new system yet. Are the LAX-IT green buses dedicated for each terminal or do they still do the entire loop?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:57 pm

Luft/Uber and other rideshare platforms are a disruptor that is affecting traffic in every city and at every Airport and public transit terminal.

I have actually been experimenting with driving for Lyft/Uber this year. It's a very interesting proposition (and not very profitable if you track business expenses in most parts of the US). Great for meeting a wide variety of interesting people (and a few not so interesting ...).

Since I live in very small city (if you can call it that) I have driven in other cities in my area; and serviced the airports at Appleton, Green Bay, and Milwaukee; and done drop offs at O'Hara in Chicago (I cannot pick up in Illinois - The apps only allow pick-ups in Wisconsin).

Each airport is unique - and there can be real congestion issues. It sounds like LAX has a major traffic flow issue that has to be resolved - and that their 1st attempt has not gone well. I'm sure they will find a better answer.

I'd like to respond to the following post:

carljanderson wrote:
Used it last night, and it was mess trying to catch a Lyft. From grabbing my luggage in T1 to getting into a car was over an hour. It seemed like the taxi lines and uber were moving way better.
I did stumble across this last night..

"Uber Driver with live stats: 8:20 PM
170 Uber drivers in the virtual queue/still charging riders triple.
35 Lyft drivers in the virtual queue/no surge rates going currently.
No one wants to pay outrageous prices, but all the lyft drivers are on uber price gouging riders."
https://twitter.com/SayNoToEthics/statu ... 4434585601

Edited to remove question about rain

The drivers do not set prices or surge rates: Lyft & Uber set those. The Drivers are on the receiving end of what is offered.

As a Driver: If I am offered $10 to take someone to a certain location by one company; and $15 by the other company. Guess which offer I am going to take (and which app I'm going to turn off).

The Drivers taking the Lyft offer in this case are likely not set up to work Uber. That may be because they are just starting out and it's easier to learn by starting with Lyft (and easier to correct problems); or they have been kicked off of Uber for problems. Both services eliminate Drivers with a passenger rating below a 4.6 average over a certain number of rides... and Uber's rating system is more punitive to the drivers. I had a 4.98 or better Lyft rating for many months - and when I started Uber my initial average was 4.7 for the same level of service - I almost crashed and burned under Uber. I have been able to slowly work that up (currently at 4.81). But, I assure you that the Uber rating system penalizes drivers more than the Lyft one does and Uber kicks more Drivers off of their platform than does Lyft.

In this case Uber can charge and get the premium price... and the drivers actually may earn a bit more than the local minimum or minimum living wage (after business expenses).

Have a great day,

JHwk

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:20 pm

So anybody experience LAX-it’s first Sunday night?

ikramerica

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Would like to see a report 1 month in. The first day "horror" stories are meaningless.

It took Uber a long time to screw up the infield. It will take more than a week to sort it out again.

MrBretz

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:17 pm

There’s a video on the latimes website about a reporter’s experience yesterday. It took him about 30 minutes to walk from the AA terminal to the LAX-it location. Then he waited 30 minutes for a taxi. It’s going to be a mess at LAX-it when it rains. It looked messy right now.

Here’s the link:

https://www.latimes.com/la-lax-new-rideshare-system-123

I am still trying to find out where the SuperShuttle shared and private pickup is. I hope it is the outer curb not LAX-it.

Turnhouse1

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Tweet with a Video from ABC News showing the craziness of LA traffic and the madness of adding lanes full of cars.

One metro line won't solve it all, but a proper network is needed. Maybe with Uber for the last couple of miles in outlying areas.

https://twitter.com/urbanthoughts11/sta ... 5187686400

*the BB code for embedding tweets doesn't seem to work on here so it's a click through link.

JHwk

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 pm

A lot of changes are needed for sure. The first is to expedite the APM construction by 12-18 months.

I am torn if LAX-it should have been at one of the economy lots where access would not intersect horseshoe access much, but really it’s efficacy is limited by the number of passengers that can effectively be carried per coach. Longer Uber/Lyft/Taxi queues are needed for sure, and exit priory from the lot.

aklrno

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:06 pm

It seems to me that the LA Times reporter wanted to make things seem as bad as possible. He chose to walk from the terminal with just about the longest walk possible. I'm not sure if his stops to complain were included in the time. His graphics suggested the green bus would have been faster. I frequently walk from T1 or T8 to TBIT in less time (just bit shorter walk ) in less than 15 minutes and I'm 72 years old. There was a long wait to get a car at the pickup lot, but there was always a wait at curbside if you ordered the ride when you arrived at the curb. The interesting time is the difference. He didn't say what that was, but before the LAXit lot opened the Uber (or whatever) driver was stuck in the crawling loop traffic anyway. The curbside wait reminded me of the wait for a taxi at LAS on a busy night. Not much different.

One thing most people don't seem to realize is that the curbside pickup situation was about to get MUCH MUCH worse. As APM construction gets going lanes here and there will be out of commission. When the APM is done it should be reasonable, but something had to be done in the interim. Not pretty now, but probably better than it would be if nothing was done. Something had to be done to reduce traffic in the horseshoe for the next few years.

I'd like to know what the Uber delay time was before the change at T4 on a Sunday night. I may be an Uber rider from T1 on Thanksgiving day. If that happens, I'll report my experience. Fortunately it's about a 2 minute walk from T1.

ikramerica

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:30 pm

An hour during the busiest time the first week doesn’t sound like armageddon.

arfbool

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:53 am

Arrived at LAX Sunday night around 8:30pm at TBIT and LAX-it was a complete disaster. The dedicated bus lane was working and the shuttle came quickly and ran express to the exit until it got stuck in traffic trying to enter the Uber lot. The main loop was experiencing extremely heavy traffic as well presumably due to the loss of two lanes for the buses. Inside the Uber lot was a backup of honking cars and hordes of people in all directions. I suppose a shortage of Uber cars was also due to the general traffic backup caused by the creation of the bus lanes. The fare I was quoted was 2-3x what I normally expect to pay. Went back to the terminals and caught the FlyAway bus instead which was running well (was difficult to find since the pickup spot was also moved. It's now on the outer loop in the bus lanes and a small blue stripe on a pole marked the location.) and then Uber to my final destination.

MrBretz

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Here’s a new article from the LA Times. They are increasing the size of LAX-it. People are going rogue and taking shuttles to hotels or parking lots, e.g., Wally Park, and being picked up there. SuperShuttle is much busier. And it’s all a mess.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... ortunities

I am starting to think SuperShuttles private car service gets to pick up at the outer curb. I hope I’m right. I emailed them about that and they haven’t responded yet.

blockski

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:52 pm

arfbool wrote:
Arrived at LAX Sunday night around 8:30pm at TBIT and LAX-it was a complete disaster. The dedicated bus lane was working and the shuttle came quickly and ran express to the exit until it got stuck in traffic trying to enter the Uber lot. The main loop was experiencing extremely heavy traffic as well presumably due to the loss of two lanes for the buses. Inside the Uber lot was a backup of honking cars and hordes of people in all directions. I suppose a shortage of Uber cars was also due to the general traffic backup caused by the creation of the bus lanes. The fare I was quoted was 2-3x what I normally expect to pay. Went back to the terminals and caught the FlyAway bus instead which was running well (was difficult to find since the pickup spot was also moved. It's now on the outer loop in the bus lanes and a small blue stripe on a pole marked the location.) and then Uber to my final destination.

This is a great example of how inherently inefficient Uber and Lyft are.

Taxis are already space hogs on a per passenger basis. The Uber/Lyft model where each driver and passenger must match is even more inefficient. The fact that the quoted fares are lower than what you'd expect tells me that the old fares were way too low (and hence the congestion).

taking the FlyAway bus and then ubering from there is actually a great solution, and LAX should encourage more of it, because it actually helps solve their curbside management issues.

arfbool

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:31 pm

blockski wrote:
arfbool wrote:

Taxis are already space hogs on a per passenger basis. The Uber/Lyft model where each driver and passenger must match is even more inefficient. The fact that the quoted fares are lower than what you'd expect tells me that the old fares were way too low (and hence the congestion).

taking the FlyAway bus and then ubering from there is actually a great solution, and LAX should encourage more of it, because it actually helps solve their curbside management issues.

I mean the quoted fare was $130-$160 depending on whether I went for Uber or Lyft, which is double to triple what it usually costs. For that fare I should be picked up in a black car at the airport curbside. Those fares were meant to discourage me from using Uber or Lyft that day in which they succeeded. I agree the driver/passenger matching that's not necessary in a conventional taxi stand is an extra drag, but I suspect the real issue was the in/out of the lot itself causing a constriction on flow. Gouging people with outrageous fares plus extended wait times is not acceptable.

ikramerica

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:36 pm

blockski wrote:
arfbool wrote:

Of course the fares are too low. Uber is losing over $1 billion a quarter (just announced 1.1), lying about their employees, and trying to run established companies, the ones charging profitable fares, out of business.

ikramerica

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 pm

blockski wrote:
arfbool wrote:

Flyaway to Uber actually sounds like a good idea for anyone who lives in the valley or past downtown.

arfbool

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 pm

ikramerica wrote:
blockski wrote:
arfbool wrote:

Flyaway to Uber actually sounds like a good idea for anyone who lives in the valley or past downtown.

Absolutely. Faster and far cheaper in my particular case.

Akiestar

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:33 am

Finally tried LAX-it yesterday. I walked from T3 to T1 (about a ten-minute walk with two suitcases in tow), and waited around 15-20 minutes for a Lyft. The Uber line was twice as long. That said, I did this at around noon -- this is apparently considered off-peak for LAX traffic.

Having done remote pick-ups before at other airports (DEL and CPT do off-terminal pick-ups, for example), I get why LAX instituted this system, and while it works during off-peak hours, I'm very leery trying this during peak hours. Hopefully expansion of the LAX-it lot helps relieve things at least for those who need to take an Uber or Lyft. That includes me most of the time.

I'm already considering driving and parking at Lot E since it ends up being cheaper than Uber or Lyft for short trips, and I've had to resort to FlyAway at least twice with all the changes. That said, I'm surprised there hasn't been any meaningful public transit expansion when there should be, especially considering that I imagine some have shifted to FlyAway. But if anything, I'd agree with Curbed here: the real problem with LAX-it is that the airport is still too reliant on cars.

JHwk

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:07 pm

blockski wrote:

This is what LAX-it should have been all along— busses that get as much traffic as possible away from one centralized point of congestion. Set up 6-10 remote pickup points in all directions that can eliminate immediate congestion from Sepulveda, Century/La Cienega, etc. Distribute the problem out far enough that it doesn’t just solve the curb length issues within the horseshoe, but also deals with broader traffic problems.

Even just doing something during peak periods would solve a lot of problems— use the Aviation/Green Line Park and Ride lot Sunday night and give improved access not only to the Metro, but also distribute traffic away from choke points.

I’m also really surprised at how slow the process is for CONRAC; that should have been pushed ahead 2-3 years and opened like SFO’s with shuttle busses initially.

janders

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:31 am

JHwk wrote:
blockski wrote:
I’m also really surprised at how slow the process is for CONRAC; that should have been pushed ahead 2-3 years and opened like SFO’s with shuttle busses initially.

CONRAC faced many issues - not least being the 20 odd rental companies that had their own ideas and concerns about cost. Also LAWA had to acquire land. The facility will be 2-miles away from the CTA adjacent to the 405 freeway. SFO has comparatively much easier building something on airport property.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

MrBretz

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:21 am

I hear Park N’ Fly is going out of business. Wally Park please stay.

Chemist

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:01 pm

MrBretz wrote:
I hear Park N’ Fly is going out of business. Wally Park please stay.

Yes, I got the email from Park N Fly yesterday. This sucks as that was where I always parked, and I would walk to the terminal.
Now I need to find some other least painful way to use LAX. I don't think there are any other lots that are reasonable to walk (excluding the in-loop short term parking). I suppose you could walk from Lot C but that is quite a hike. Or perhaps from the Parking Spot on Sepulveda.

Maybe the Uber to Flyaway is the best alternative. Anybody who is local to LAX have any other ideas?
I used WallyPark many years ago, but their prices kept going up and their shuttles were a pain to wait for. That's why I liked walking from Park N Fly.

LAXintl

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:09 am

Park N Fly future was always short. Remember the property it sits on land designated for the T-0 project so LAWA has had them on a month to month terms.

About a 1/3rd of their lot was chopped off for the original LAXit area, with a bit more taken last week for expanded pickup lanes.

Sad to see a business go, but it's not like LAX is short private parking vendors, while LAWA itself has expanded its parking portfolio also with the opening of new economy Lot-E in March.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MrBretz

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:17 pm

I just got an email back from SuperShuttle that their private shuttle service(which in my case has always been a small van with no SuperShuttle markings), picks up at the outer curb. That’s what l’ll use.