Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mcg
Topic Author

Schengen to non-Schengen Transfer at FRA and MUC

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm

I'm planning a trip that might involve a flight connection at MUC or FRA between a flight from non-Schengen Croatia to a flight to a Schengen country. What are the customs and immigration procedures for this particular scenario? Logically the customs and immigration procedures would be the same as for arrival from the United States, but I guess I really don't know. Any info appreciated.

mcg
Topic Author

Re: Schengen to non-Schengen Transfer at FRA and MUC

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 pm

Note, I just read my post and realized I got the title backwards, it's a non-Schengan to Schengen transfer.

aklrno

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:40 am

There is a current thread discussing short connection times in general. FRA and MUC often use remote gates and a bus ride for short haul flights. Sounds like both of yours will be like that. I'd give myself plenty of time for connection because of that. You might be able to do it in an hour, but if it were me I'd make sure I had two hours.

mcg
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:59 am

Thanks for the response, I'm particularly interested in the customs and immigration aspect of the non-Schengen to Schengen transfer.

IADCA

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:05 am

mcg wrote:
Thanks for the response, I'm particularly interested in the customs and immigration aspect of the non-Schengen to Schengen transfer.

Non-Schengen to Schengen means you'd clear immigration and customs between the two flights (entry to the Schengen area). It is indeed just like a flight from the US, UK, or any other non-Schengen area. Both of those airports are pretty efficient in that regard.

debonair

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:15 am

True, but I would go with MUC - it's a 5* airport and you feel and see the difference. Best to come, LH MUC Terminal 2 was build keeping these transfers in mind - which is not the case in FRA (as Schengen didn't existed as it was build). So depending on the airline, terminal, gate etc. you might have to clear not only immigration but security as well.

mchei

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:26 am

debonair wrote:
True, but I would go with MUC - it's a 5* airport and you feel and see the difference. Best to come, LH MUC Terminal 2 was build keeping these transfers in mind - which is not the case in FRA (as Schengen didn't existed as it was build). So depending on the airline, terminal, gate etc. you might have to clear not only immigration but security as well.

I second that.
If you like jeopardy, take Frankfurt. Seriously, FRA is way more inconsistent in its services. It can help if you are seated in the front of the aircraft. With Premium Eco I once cleared immigration at FRA in five minutes during the morning arrivals time.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

FlyRow

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:04 am

I do believe that with a EU passport you might be able to use a quicker line, but I don't know if that's the case for you.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

mcg
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:25 pm

mchei wrote:
debonair wrote:

I second that.
If you like jeopardy, take Frankfurt. Seriously, FRA is way more inconsistent in its services. It can help if you are seated in the front of the aircraft. With Premium Eco I once cleared immigration at FRA in five minutes during the morning arrivals time.

Yes , my experience on arrival at FRA from the US is wildly variable, sometimes there is literally no line at the immigration, sometimes it's an complete madhouse. Oddly one of the worst lines I've ever experience was at passport control at departure at MUC, large crowd with no organized queing (is that a word?).

So how about another scenario, if you are transiting from the US to non-Schengen Europe at MUC and FRA (and ZRH) is it completely and in-transit experience (i.e no customs and immigration inspection)? Do simply go from gate A to gate B, being careful to remain on the 'transit side' of the security and customs barriers? My guess is that given FRA's layout, it may be hard to achieve this ideal at FRA.

IADCA

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:37 pm

mcg wrote:
mchei wrote:
debonair wrote:

I second that.

Yes , my experience on arrival at FRA from the US is wildly variable, sometimes there is literally no line at the immigration, sometimes it's an complete madhouse. Oddly one of the worst lines I've ever experience was at passport control at departure at MUC, large crowd with no organized queing (is that a word?).

So how about another scenario, if you are transiting from the US to non-Schengen Europe at MUC and FRA (and ZRH) is it completely and in-transit experience (i.e no customs and immigration inspection)? Do simply go from gate A to gate B, being careful to remain on the 'transit side' of the security and customs barriers? My guess is that given FRA's layout, it may be hard to achieve this ideal at FRA.

That's right. Note that the reverse isn't completely true because of the extra security on flights to the US, but going US to UK via FRA, for example, does not require immigration at FRA. And note that if you make a mistake and go through passport control, you actually have to do it twice because the Schengen area also has exit control.

hoons90

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:14 pm

I've done JFK-MUC-TXL before and it is among the easiest connections I've ever done. Just head towards passport control after arrival and there's a walkway right to the Schengen floor once you clear passport control.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

HT

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:34 pm

mcg wrote:
non-Schengen to Schengen transfer.

Immigration (passport control) and usually a new security check (central at the two airports in concern).
Minimum convenient connection time at MUC (within Terminal 2 incl. its satellite) should be around 60 minutes, and like 80 minutes at FRA. Any extra minutes will be even more convenient, especially during times of adverse weather. But airlines will state shorter minimum connection times, and will sell you such tickets. Most often it even will work to catch the second flight, but it is a bit risky.

However, in case you use Eurowings (EW) to or from MUC, please be advised that EW is using Terminal 1, resulting in a shuttle-bus ride between the two terminals if the other leg is on LH or OU. Or you clear immigration at your arrival terminal and walk through public areas between T1 and T2 v/v, followed by a new security check, In any case allow extra time for such a transfer between T1 and T2, keeping in mind that the shuttle runs only every 10 minutes, and EW usually uses remote stands at T1.

Also, having to transfer between MUC Terminal 2 and its satellite can be somewhat time consuming, as it is quite some walk to the end of either building, and the shuttle train is located towards the center of each building.
Btw, the food outlet options at T2 satellite (Schengen gates) tend to be less busy (or overcrowded) than in T2 (again Schengen departures), and on a long layover it can be a good option to dine there in case you want to stay airside.
With plenty of time to spend, going landside is another option as it will give you more options on food outlets.

To get an idea where a specific flight usually departs, check Flightradar24. Especially MUC is quite consistent on gate assignment for a specific flight.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

mcg
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:14 pm

Thanks HT for response and information. How about arrival from the United States and transfer to flight to non-Schengen Europe, are any immigration or security steps required in FRA or MUC? Thanks again!

HT

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:41 pm

mcg wrote:
How about arrival from the United States and transfer to flight to non-Schengen Europe, are any immigration or security steps required in FRA or MUC? Thanks again!

At FRA, Star Alliance flights arriving from the U.S. should drop you into Z-gate area. From there you should be able to take the SkyLine train for non-Schengen departures from Terminal 1 B or C, or Terminal D/E.
No passport control involved. Not sure about security check, but likely "no".
https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/tr ... t-fra.html

Cannot speak suitably for MUC as my last arrival from the U.S. was many years ago (prior to T2 Satellite inauguration) and used a remote stand, dropping all passengers into a heavily overcrowded arrivals area with mandatory security check and passport control, and lots of people missing connections.
But it is to be expected that nowadays you will remain in transit (within T2 and T2-S), so no passport control involved. The train connecting T2 and T2-S has its own "non-Schengen" compartment, connecting H- to L-gates (contrary to "G- to K-gates" which are the Schengen-area gates, one floor lower than H- & L-gates).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

mcg
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:32 pm

Danke HT!

dik909

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:56 pm

Moin. ;)

It should go the same as any EU airport customs control. They'll probably want to see that you have a return flight booked within 90 days of your arrival, and they may ask for details on where you're staying.

Standard procedure.

modesto2

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I just did this last month when I flew SFO-MUC-GOA on UA & LH. Cleared passport control in MUC before boarding the flight to GOA. MUC is a great transfer hub!