Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Before the Internet, what were your main sources of aviation news?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Everything is right at our fingertips. And we often revel and being the first with the link to hot news items at the aviation industry. But before airliners.net… And before the Internet as a whole, what were your sources for news?

I had subscriptions to Airways, airliners.net and OAG pocket guide.

I also had a subscription to frequent-flier magazine.

I would go every week to Logan airport where the local airport newspaper existed.

I would also collect timetables. Often, the inside cover of those timetables would have new routes that were being served.

Every once in a while, I would read aviation week and space technology as well
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

Vasu

Re: Before the Internet, what were your main sources of aviation news?

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:30 am

Airliner World magazine and printed airline timetables, plus occasional updates from a family friend who worked at a travel agent (Lunn Poly, if anyone remembers that?!)

NWAESC

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:53 am

Airways, Airliners, timetables.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:08 am

Aviation Week for the past 50 years. Still better than forums.

Gf

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:20 am

My father had a subscription to Flight International.

In fact, I picked up my interest in aviation from reading the Flight magazines that he often brought home. I was only 9.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

chepos

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:12 am

Airways magazine, Airliners magazine and World Airline Fleet News. I dearly miss the Airliners magazine of the mid to late 90’s and the Airways magazine of the late 90’s. I recall the author John Wegg from both publications, he was excellent.

I was a kid when I discovered Airliners magazine. I believe it was a bimonthly publication back then, I would get so excited when it was dropped off by the post man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

chepos

Before the Internet, what were your main sources of aviation news?

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:19 am

For timetables, I would call the toll free numbers and request a timetable be mailed. I recall US carriers in general where stingy mailing out (AA, HP and UA sent me a couple, WN was always nice about it). The nicest one I ever received was from Canadian. Sabena and Swissair I recall sent me a combined one. The China Airlines one literally was a brochure. When my parents moved homes I found out all my timetables from the 90’s had been thrown out.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Flanker7

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:05 am

In my younger years I used to go around all the airline offices in town an collect all sorts of magazines and timetables etc. Going to the airport on my bike with a friend we did the same there. Later I subscribed to Flight International and bought the occasional magazine but was then working at the airport and could get my hands on all sorts of information. I must admit I was more exciting then today.
Flying blue only if possible

klm617

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:12 pm

I used to get a magazine called Acars. It was a great source of information.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:16 pm

chepos wrote:
For timetables, I would call the toll free numbers and request a timetable be mailed. I recall US carriers in general where stingy mailing out (AA, HP and UA sent me a couple, WN was always nice about it). The nicest one I ever received was from Canadian. Sabena and Swissair I recall sent me a combined one. The China Airlines one literally was a brochure. When my parents moved homes I found out all my timetables from the 90’s had been thrown out.

I remember how excited I was when I got my first OAG it was like Christmas. I thought I was the only one who did that LOL. I remember calling to get an Iraqi Airways timetabled mailed to me that was amazing to me having that timetable.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:18 pm

My first experience was with the Airliners International magazine that only printed 4 issues and then Airline Quarterly. Sad both were discontinued but very informative at the time. I found a mint set of the 4 issues of Airliners International on Ebay and have them in plastic covers.

zrs70
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Ah yes! I had forgotten about calling the airlines to get timetables sent. But I didn’t call the 800 number. In the early 80’s, most airlines has local offices, so I called the 617 Boston offices.

As a 12 year old, I didn’t get much mail. But when those timetables arrived with my name, I was in heaven.

NWAESC

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:20 pm

I forgot to add that I used to subscribe to the SkyGuide, and would pore over each issue obsessively.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

N14AZ

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:47 pm

I started with timetables.

After that Jetstream, a great monthly magazine for planespotters.

About twenty years later: Swing-over, a monthly magazine for planespotters @ Frankfurt.

Nowadays, internet only :-/

N14AZ

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:57 pm

And while we are talking about it: I don’t know where I read this story but I still remember it very clearly.

It was a weekend at ZRH and several planespotters had gathered there to take pictures of a Virgin A346, the landing had been announced via Internet. So while it landed all the planespotters took their pictures very calmly except for one planespotter, who almost freaked out when he realized what he had spotted in the final approach. It turned out that this planespotter had no access to the online information. One of the planespotters, who knew about the arrival of this rarity posted that he somehow envied this planespotter, since he missed this excitement when you did not know what you will see at the airport...

zrs70
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:07 pm

N14AZ wrote:
And while we are talking about it: I don’t know where I read this story but I still remember it very clearly.

It was a weekend at ZRH and several planespotters had gathered there to take pictures of a Virgin A346, the landing had been announced via Internet. So while it landed all the planespotters took their pictures very calmly except for one planespotter, who almost freaked out when he realized what he had spotted in the final approach. It turned out that this planespotter had no access to the online information. One of the planespotters, who knew about the arrival of this rarity posted that he somehow envied this planespotter, since he missed this excitement when you did not know what you will see at the airport...

At Logan, I would go to the 16th floor of the control tower where there was a public observations lounge. I remember the joy of spotting the 747's coming in from Europe:

Alitalia
Sabena
Swissair
Aer Lingus
British Airways
Lufthansa
TWA
Northwest Orient
Olympic

.... ALl flew the 747 to BOS.

The only way to know what was on approach was from listening to ATC that many had access to from their portable radios.

Also, with regard to timetables, I would go often to the downtown Boston ticket offices at the Statler Office building. Many foreign carriers that didn't serve Logan had offices there, and I could get more rare (for me) timetables.

bluestreak

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Before Airliners magazine, it was primarily what I would hear from family members who worked in the industry. Once I discovered Airliners magazine in a local hobby shop, I subscribed immediately. It was quarterly then. In a few years, I also subscribed to WAFN, then Airways magazine.

As a child, we used a local travel agent for vacations. She noticed my interest in airlines, and started saving the timetables for me. Once a month, my mom, or dad would go by and pick them up for me. But, in order for me to receive the new ones, I was required to toss the old ones out! :(

Now, I still subscribe to Airways, and Airliner World. I do still prefer the print version, but of course spend way too much time on this site as well.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

Gr8Circle

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:33 pm

As a child growing up in India, I was always interested in aviation.....flew AA within the US on a trip to the US in the early 80s.....on reaching back home, I wrote a letter to AA, expressing my enthusiasm….got a response almost two months later....they sent me a thank you letter and a beautiful poster of an AA DC-10 and some literature on AA in general.....I was thrilled beyond imagination...

bluestreak

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
As a child growing up in India, I was always interested in aviation.....flew AA within the US on a trip to the US in the early 80s.....on reaching back home, I wrote a letter to AA, expressing my enthusiasm….got a response almost two months later....they sent me a thank you letter and a beautiful poster of an AA DC-10 and some literature on AA in general.....I was thrilled beyond imagination...

This reminds me of a similar event which happened to a friend of mine's son. They flew on Frontier around 1997-1999. His son, who was 8, or 9 at the time, and a huge aviation nut, loved Frontier, and the animals on their tails. With help from his mom, they wrote a letter to Frontier, thanking them for the great service they received, and he mentioned how much he loved their planes. Well, a couple of weeks later, they received a package. Inside was a thank you letter, 4 post cards of their planes, kiddie pilot wings, a stuffed bear, and a travel agent style (Wooster, I think) 1/200 scale model of one of their 737-200's! He was elated, and I was shocked, and a little jealous! Frontier became our favorite airline for years.

Imagine Frontier, (or any airline) doing that today.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"