AusFlyer93
Topic Author

Project Sunrise - Feasible destinations

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:24 am

Which destinations (other than London and New York) do you think are actually feasible under QF's Project Sunrise?

asr0dzjq

Re: Project Sunrise - Feasible destinations

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:33 am

ORD, MSP, DTW, and JFK

QF should do flights from BNE, SYD, MEL, and PER to CDG, AMS, FRA, and MUC
R.I.P.

Pan Am (B 19-10-1927, D 4-12-1991)
TWA (B 1-10-1930, D 1-12-2001)
Douglas (B 22-7-1921, D 23-5-2006)

melpax

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:43 pm

MEL-ORD & MEL-MUC would both have a fair bit of demand

Ford & GM traffic headed to DTW can be routed through ORD, and you also have the banking/finance traffic.

A good number of German businesses have their Australian HQ's in Melbourne, Benz, BMW, Bosch & Siemens among others. Allianz also has a decent MEL presence.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

flightuk

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:31 am

Sunrise is a great idea, direct flights, what better?. However, it will fail and fail badly. I say badly because it is going to be a very costly exercise for Qantas. After 12 months or so people will just stop booking those ultra long haul flights. Early feedback from the passengers is not good. Business travellers will get too fatigued and holidaymakers will want their Dubai/Singapore stopover.

upperdeckfan

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:42 pm

flightuk wrote:
Sunrise is a great idea, direct flights, what better?. However, it will fail and fail badly. I say badly because it is going to be a very costly exercise for Qantas. After 12 months or so people will just stop booking those ultra long haul flights. Early feedback from the passengers is not good. Business travellers will get too fatigued and holidaymakers will want their Dubai/Singapore stopover.

Fully agree, besides QF it is also a very costly exercise by Airbus and Boeing investing to develop it.

Several colleagues in the company I work for fly LHR-PER in J twice or thrice a year, only few of them have tried the QF non-stop and most of them are not doing it anymore. They claim it's not worthy just to save 4 or 5hrs of total flying time as they have multiple options through DOH, SIN or BKK with 2-3 hrs stopovers.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

melpax

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:07 am

I'd say that you'd see JFK & ORD Sunrise flights before any to Europe/UK, given that this would eliminate the hated LAX transfer, much quicker & easier to clear CPB at the final destination with no TSA ordeal.

Though the NZ flights to ORD & planned New York flights will be the next best thing with a quick no fuss transfer in AKL, Can see these flights becoming popular with time-sensitive business pax.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

csturdiv

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:30 am

melpax wrote:
I'd say that you'd see JFK & ORD Sunrise flights before any to Europe/UK, given that this would eliminate the hated LAX transfer, much quicker & easier to clear CPB at the final destination with no TSA ordeal.

Though the NZ flights to ORD & planned New York flights will be the next best thing with a quick no fuss transfer in AKL, Can see these flights becoming popular with time-sensitive business pax.

I've already eliminated LAX by going into DFW. Unfortunately my final destinations would never be on the radar for QF but DFW is so much better than LAX.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Kent350787

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:58 am

The upcoming JL switch to Haneda eliminates a couple of well timed one stoppers to the US east coast which also avoided LAX. I agree that US east coast should be the priority. I'm still to be convinced of any feasible European market apart from LHR.

Max Q

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:15 am

flightuk wrote:

The same narrative was used when airlines started flying non stop transcons, across the Atlantic without stopping in Gander and Shannon, then it was too far to cross the Pacific unless you paused in HNL, ANC, TYO etc

Reality is, people adjust, theres a lot of whining about how long these flights are but
the convenience of not having to stop with all the associated hassles and the time savings of a non stop will always appeal to a large cross section of passengers

And those that want to stop will always have many options to do so
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

hinckley

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:48 pm

flightuk wrote:

There is zero data to support these statements. Sunrise may in fact fail, but we can't tell one way or the other at this point. In general, one of the macro trends in commercial aviation is for more point-to-point flights (see A380 v 787). The flying public - especially business travelers - absolutely seem to prefer to avoid connections. OTOH, ULH flights are notoriously difficult for airlines due to the high cost of operations (tanking, additional crew, etc.). So although your conclusion may prove correct, your rational is, well, irrational.