seb146
Topic Author

Cities That Should Be Served But Are Not

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:07 pm

I am thinking specifically of LMT and that YKM is under served. LMT (Klamath Falls, Oregon) is an outdoor sports and recreation gateway. They bill themselves as the gateway to Crater Lake. It is a good sized community and home Oregon Institute of Technology. True, MFR is about a 90 minute drive. Both QX and UA Express tried to make a go of it there but ended service.

YKM (Yakima, Washington) is served by QX to SEA but does not have any other service. They bill themselves as "The Palm Springs Of The Northwest" and are big on agriculture. PSC (Tri Cities Regional) is about 90 minutes drive.

What are your picks for airports either not served that should be or under served?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

dfwjim1

Re: Cities That Should Be Served But Are Not

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Palm Springs of the Northwest...LOL

zrs70

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:56 pm

I think JetBlue season into Bar Harbor, Maine would be great.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

escondido

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:30 pm

I'm consistently surprised at how underserved YEG is. At a similar size to the YYC metro area (1.4 million), YEG (1.3 million) has about half the passengers to YYC (and correspondingly, half the routes!). Currently, American Airlines doesn't even serve YEG, and YEG does not have direct flights to locations like ORD, EWR/JFK and LHR. I'm curious as to why this is. For example YEG-ORD used to be served by United, and every time I took that flight it was quite full. Similarly, I've flown AA YEG-PHX and that flight was full. This lack of flights (and carriers) restricts options and feasible business travel out of YEG.

ironyClad

Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:21 am

escondido wrote:
I'm consistently surprised at how underserved YEG is. At a similar size to the YYC metro area (1.4 million), YEG (1.3 million) has about half the passengers to YYC (and correspondingly, half the routes!). Currently, American Airlines doesn't even serve YEG, and YEG does not have direct flights to locations like ORD, EWR/JFK and LHR. I'm curious as to why this is. For example YEG-ORD used to be served by United, and every time I took that flight it was quite full. Similarly, I've flown AA YEG-PHX and that flight was full. This lack of flights (and carriers) restricts options and feasible business travel out of YEG.

The absence of all of the routes you mention surprises me, though I do see that they have service to LGW, which to some degree mitigates the lack of an LHR route.

I'm also amazed WestJet or their joint venture partner Delta don't serve YEG-SLC. I believe this was previously served by SkyWest on behalf of Delta, and I wouldn't be surprised to see DL contract them again in the future, especially if Air Canada were to start the route first... but I'm dreaming a bit with that one.

sprxUSA

Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Love how all but first response are off topic.

My unserved locale that should be response is: Wilmington, DE. So I ca n get Deleware off my 'states I have flown airlines to' list. Other two are Wyoming and Vermont.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

ironyClad

Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:35 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
Love how all but first response are off topic.

Nah, we all just paid the most attention to the last line of the first post, and opened the floodgates:
seb146 wrote:
What are your picks for airports either not served that should be or under served?

asr0dzjq

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:48 am

Surprised that there aren't DTW-DXB or DTW-DOH routes
R.I.P.

Pan Am (B 19-10-1927, D 4-12-1991)
TWA (B 1-10-1930, D 1-12-2001)
Douglas (B 22-7-1921, D 23-5-2006)

passengerpigeon

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 am

I think that the biggest "underserved markets" are situations in which two cities lack a direct link simply because neither happens to be an airline hub, even though both are large cities that have air service to virtually every airline hub in the country and could support a direct route. This situation tends to arise in markets without much competition, and we did see it in the USA during the Merger Mania and in Canada during the "Mapleflot" days after Air Canada bought out Canadian Pacific, but JetBlue, Allegiant, Frontier, Southwest and WestJet seem to have since filled in the most glaring direct service gaps.